Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
05 Tundra R - crossing some rough ice couple months back, and track slipped sideways off rear wheels. Loosened rear axle, compressed suspension, but couldn't get the inside cleats over the wheels. Had to walk out - fixed it in the shop by removing the upper wheels and bolts for rear of the skid, dropping it down, then there was enough slack to get the track back in place. Figured it was just a wierd isolated happening.

Yesterday, crossing some nasty hard drifts, hit one kinda sideways leaning into it to keep from rolling over......yep, track popped off again! Long walk..... I've been setting the track tension right in the middle of spec.

I can't figure how this track can slip sideways like this and pop off the rear wheels. This machine is in very nice condition. The amount of abuse tracks take always amazes me. Anyone have some insight into how this sort of thing happens?

EDIT: Also.....anybody fix this in the field? How'd you do it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Aknomad
I had the same thing happen to me. Here us what i found as the source of the problem.
The lateral movement of the track is restrained by perhaps a hundred metal clips that are crimped on the track and on each side. In my case, my track was missing 4 in a row and when things were just right, the track would slip out.
The good news is that these clips are fairly inexpensive and can be crimped with pliers (ideally with crimpers).
Good luck

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I had this happen once to me when I first got the 94 tundra and was going across a side-hill. The track was adjusted too loose. With the standard tool kit I loosened the bolts on the rear wheels, backed off the adjusting bolts, worked the track back into position and readjusted the tension. I knew where it was before by counting the threads on the adjusters. I don't think that this is as likely to happen with my new 151 track because in addition to the rails keeping the track in place I have 2 sets of idle wheels plus the big wheels I the back all running in between the cogs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
nomad, I have slipped the track on my tundra several times, My track is in poor condition, with many bent clips. I loosen the tensioners and get the clip started with a long screwdriver and then start the sled and put it in reverse to roll it around and over. Re tension and continue on. It only happens on sidehills with a hard surface for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Field repair - we've used 2 diff methods:

1. "In a hurry/good lord it's -40F" method: tip machine over at 45 deg angle, and put the throttle to the bar until track jumps back on. Learned this from an old time trapper in our area. Seen it in action - works but is crude.

2. "Lots of time/man it sure is nice out here" method: loosen rear wheels w onboard tool kit, suck suspension up by using ratchet strap over tunnel and thru skid (I really like the Goodyear 3k lb bright yellow ones from SAMs Club) and slowly work it back into place by hand, then tighten track up a bit more than what you started with.

Since you indicated your track seems in good condition I suspect it's a tension issue that you just probably need to fiddle with.

XL

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My track must be shorter/newer than y'all's because I loosened the rear wheels, took the adjuster bolts OUT, disengaged the long rear springs, used a dozen rubber bunjies to completely smash/collapse the suspension, and I could not get the track to even hint at being pried back into position. I'm pretty sure I was using a method in between the "In a hurry/good lord it's -40F" and "Lots of time/man it sure is nice out here" method." I'm sure glad to hear you guys are getting the track back in alignment in the field. I need to work on that, and I'll definitely put the throttle to the bar until the track jumps back on NEXT TIME!!! before I walk out. Also, I will set the tension to the tighter side of spec from now on and see if that helps. I appreciate all your comments!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Aknomad
I know you said your track looked like new but, forgive me for insisting on this but the clips might all be there but i would say that enen if 2 were bent, the track could come off as you are turning. You would have to check each clip one by one...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all your helpful comments, tonight I loosened the rear axle, backed off the adjusters, and slowly in reverse pushed the track back into place while rotating with throttle. Adjusted track tension to tighter side of spec and adjusted track alignment. Took me 20 minutes max. I'm sure I can fix this on the trail now. I still need to carefully inspect all the clips. Thanks, fellas!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 05 tundra r
Track must be stretched because too loose even when idlers maxed out. Clips are in good shape. Track routinely jumps over idlers When sidehilling in hard pack. Tip it to whatever side needs to be pushed back on and put machine in reverse and give it a shot of throttle. Track immediately jumps back on.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I have 05 tundra r
Track must be stretched because too loose even when idlers maxed out. Clips are in good shape. Track routinely jumps over idlers When sidehilling in hard pack. Tip it to whatever side needs to be pushed back on and put machine in reverse and give it a shot of throttle. Track immediately jumps back on.
Got the same problem over here on my '99 Tundra..... I got my tensioners maxed out and it will jump off the skid if I'm sidehilling in poor or hard snow pack. Track is probably stretched but Im still running it because a new one cost to much

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Hi, This seems somewhat strange to me as I had my 94 track come off only one time and I ran side-hills a bunch. However, that one time was enough to teach me how critical the tension and alignment were on that track - the exact weight applied and the exact drop measured from the correct location. And all of the clips need to be good and the alignment spot on.

It is interesting that I do not have this problem with the 151 due to all of the wheels wheels inside the cogs as I run it much looser without it coming off. The one time it did come off with the stock track I loosened every thing up, made sure the axle did slide back after loosening the adjusters and the wheel bolts. Then I turned it on it's side and worked the track back on by turning it by hand and putting pressure on the side of the track like you would with a kids bicycle chain. Luckily it was not a cold day. I think it was my first or second ride on the machine. On the short track issue you would wonder if perhaps someone replaced the 139.5" track with a 136" track which would not leave much room to loosen unless they made some modifications. I recommend against the 136 on a Tundra II/Tundra R because that extra 2" of track (30 square inches of flotation) makes some difference.

I wonder if the hifax possibly being worn down or unevenly could have anything to do with the problem you are having with the stock track? It just seems odd.

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts