Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
With gears for this model unavailable from BRP, i was wondering if someone figured out a way to reduce the gearing.
If there is enough demand, maybe we can have some done.
Thanks
Pierre

·
Registered
587 Posts
Tundra R the chain case 14/25 original, BRP sells nothing else. We need to find an old Tundra 250LT non functional for remove his gear (12/27) which gives a ratio 20% stronger

There are the sprockets of track 5 teeth that give a 20%stronger ratio by their diameter ratio 3.9 '', and at the same time they can double the traction of the Tundra by changing the track.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dan and B550 for the info.
I just may have found a set of 12/27 gears.
My next step is to find all the parts required to fit a larger track.
I know that there has been a lot of discussion around what Dan and B550 have done and i am quite envious of the results.
To this effect, is there a concise list of parts required somewhere on the forum?
Thanks again

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Hello,

If you start on page 1, this post pretty well spells out the 151 install.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/549122-1994-tundra-ii-long-track-151x15x125-252-pitch/

The only parts that you actually need are the track (as light as possible), the 2.52 drive sprockets, the extensions and a few spacers (bushings) for the idle wheel shafts. The extensions would not be necessary if you want to do some cutting and welding. I recommend replacing the bearings and chain case seal while everything is apart. You may want to replace the chain depending on the condition of it. You can buy 7T drive sprockets but if you want a 5T B550 would be your only choice if he is willing to make another set. Mine are working fine with the track tension fairly tight.

The extensions I bought off of ebay are not made anymore. However, looking at those and the ones on my 06 I'm pretty sure that I could have made extensions work like the ones I used for the 06 skid but the right length. Your existing track if an LT is 139.5" long. So, you have to subtract that from the length of the track you want (such as 151 - 139.5) and then divide by 2. That would be the length of the extension that you need. For the 151 this comes out 5.75 or 6". Most extensions allow adjustment of at least an inch each way. You also need to consider the different diameter of the drive sprockets. It is key that the insert part of the extension (the part you press in with a C-clamp) will fit into the existing axle holes on the rails. This is what makes the extension strong. Anyway you go there will need to be some cutting and grinding on the original rail. Once you do that it would be hard to go back so be careful.

Dan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dan,
Well, I will be ordering the parts this week. Since I needed to change my track anyways, i figured the time to upgrade was right.

B550,
If you still are interested in making the 5 tooth gears and selling them, I would certainly be interested in buying a set.

I figure that I should build on the experience of this forum and put more time on other things. As an example, since replacements for cdi's seem to be an issue, I will give a crack at designing a replacement; that should be interesting.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Dan,
Well, I will be ordering the parts this week. Since I needed to change my track anyways, i figured the time to upgrade was right.

B550,
If you still are interested in making the 5 tooth gears and selling them, I would certainly be interested in buying a set.

I figure that I should build on the experience of this forum and put more time on other things. As an example, since replacements for cdi's seem to be an issue, I will give a crack at designing a replacement; that should be interesting.

Thanks
Hello Tundrapierre,

I was wondering how your long track Tundra is coming along. Also, this sentence caught my attention: " I will give a crack at designing a replacement; that should be interesting.". Have you made CDI's in the past?

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts