Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some difficulty figuring out the stock gearing on a 1997 Tundra 2. I bought the sled used and when changing the gear case oil I noticed broken teeth on the lower sprocket. The sprocket I took off has 27 teeth and the OEM parts site says replacement is a 25 tooth lower sprocket. The upper sprocket on this sled is a 12 tooth and the chain is a 62 link. When I put the 25 tooth sprocket on and installed the chain, it appears the chain is way too long as the tensioner almost pushed the chain together (see pic).

Any ideas what the best sprockets and chain length is for this year of sled?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bottom one is definitely a 25 tooth stock, thats what mine is too. The previous owner probably went to drop a tooth for some extra bottom end but it must have been a cheap one because there isn't a lot of power behind these babies to be busting teeth... Get an OEM sprocket and chain if you can find one. Parts are getting scarce for these units, I'm having a battle trying to find good clutch parts for mine

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you have 12/27 gears then someone has swapped then in from an Older 250 Tundra. Stock on a Tundra 2 is 15/25. I plan on doing this to my Tundra R yet. You will prob have a hard time finding a set of the 12/27 gears so you might be better off just buying the 15 tooth top sprocket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I will look for a 15 tooth top gear.

What does the different gearing do to performance?

·
Registered
376 Posts
12/27 is 2.5:1 gear ratio

15/25 is 1.7:1

What you found on it is leaning toward low end torque and less top end speed. Some like the lower gearing and it depends on your use. Personally, I found my 06 to be over geared but I do not know much about the older Tundras. At any rate, the 15 will help with chain adjustment.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Or, it is easy to remove or add links on the older tundra. I do see the 12/27 sets on eBay now and then. My 94 came with 14/25 and I ordered 12/27 via the dealer at the time. the 12/27 is better when at high altitude.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered the 15 tooth off the BRP OEM site yesterday. Looked used in Canada but found them hard to find so I bit the bullet and paid top buck from the mother ship.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts