Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey sledheads,

I have a 2009 Tundra 300 and find I need more power to get through deep snow and/or up steep hills when breaking trail. I'm looking at a Tundra 550/LT or maybe the base model Summit 600 Sport. Both are within a few hundred bucks of each other. Since I live in Ontario there are not many Summits around so a test drive is out of the question.

The Summit is 50 pounds lighter and makes more power than the LT. Summit is a 146" x 2.25 x 16" track but the LT is a 155, 1.5, 16" wide. No electric start on the Summit but it can be added apparently, can't find any specs or prices for that. I'm thinking maybe the LT is just way too long to be as nimble in tight stuff. Maybe the 550 Sport with a 137" would do.

I ride off trail mostly, into our camp, breaking trail, pulling a trailer with a weekend's worth of gear, almost never on groomed trail.

Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks.

Josh

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I understand. One possibility is that you could help out your 09 Tundra a lot by putting a 48T bottom sprocket on. That is about the lowest cost big performance improvement that you can do with the 300F Tundra. You can also adjust the weights in the primary clutch for a little higher rpm throughout the range.

Dan

·
Registered
34 Posts
Interesting considerations. A friend of mine bought a 2016 Summit Sport carb600 (146in track) and I went with the 2016 Tundra 550lt. As far as costs go, my buddy added a carrying rack for the back (standard on Tundra), a heavy duty bumper (which the Tundra already has), a trailer hitch (standard on Tundra) and a cover. He didn't add the electric start + battery (standard on Tundra) which would come in at around $600 so he says. (He says this machine is easy to pullover). Being an LC sled my buddy also added ice scratchers. If you really want the electric start, this will make the 2 sleds pretty much the same price.

I added the 10" ski skins, rack support plates and a cover. Currently he has approx. 50miles and I have approx. 150miles. He loves his new sled and I love mine. Given that most of your riding is off-trail, breaking trail and pulling gear, I would think it's a no brainer- tundra lt wins. Also consider that the clutch on the Summit engages at a higher RPM, the windscreen is much lower on the Summit and the Summit has A-arms. I don't care what others say about how great A-arms are. They're terrible in tight woods and breaking trail in tag alder type cover - the kind of riding I do. Obviously trail riding would be a different story and A-arms win hands down.

So now you're looking at the Tundra LT vs the Sport. I too was concerned about the added length of the LT but I'm glad I went with the longer Tundra. The articulating rear is awesome. Broke trail into a lake this weekend and my daughter followed on the Tundra R. Zero issues concerning the added length and the extra floatation is great. I also turned around in a tight spot that didn't even require the swing of an axe or bicep of the saw.

Neither of us have put these sleds to the test with regards to really deep snow or slush so we can't comment on those important issues. Depending on when you're going to pull the trigger on either machine, (snow check I'm assuming) I'll be posting my overall summary of the Tundra at the end of the season and will also have some more info regarding the Summit SP600 (we fish together sometimes).

One other note. Although my buddy added the rear rack, he has since decided to remove it. He thinks that the LinQ system is the better route for attaching a carrying box that will suit his needs and I agree......dc

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would go for the tundra. I have a remote camp in BC and currently have a summit600 and do a lot of bushwacking and pulling heavy loads. The liquid cooled summit overheats easy on spring snow and I did have scratchers but they just get ripped off on logs etc.

The only place the summit shines in my books is the power to get through deep lake slush or open water.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2 Tundra LT's, a 2012 & 2015, with the 550 fan. I have also owned rev 800's, older tundras (98's) and other sleds. I ride off trail exclusively in the western mountains of Maine. I absolutely love these sleds, you cant find a more nimble, easy to maneuver sled that is super fun to ride in the deep pow! But ...keep in mind it is not for the casual rider off trail, you have to ride the sled like you would a dirt bike. The beauty of these sleds is that if you set up the rear suspension right (which can be done on trail) she is a workhorse to boot. i pulled a trail sled with a rider- 40 miles averaging 20 -30 Mph then rode tandem on the sled back to camp with over 450 pounds on the seat. It did it with ease. In my opinion you can't buy a more useful, fun sled. And the price is right too. Don't buy the sport unless you are going to mostly trail ride. the extra cargo space on the LT is awesome.

·
Registered
586 Posts
550 is hard on gas. Tundra is awesome off-trail, tiring to ride for long periods on trails. Low clutch engagement speed is very nice.

Did you consider the ACE?

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts