Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A great weekend riding was had with my daughter on her 2007 Tundra 300. Great little sled and she's getting quite used to it. One negative we came across was the headlights, they are pretty yellow and low-powered, also aiming downward quite a bit.

I was wondering if I should toss a set of 2x3 LED pods on there somewhere or just say shag it and put a 7" double row bar right in front of her headlights and disconnect them. A little ugly, but very effective. I can't seem to find much in the way of a decent mounting point for a set of pods or a bar, but I am still looking/thinking.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Funny, I thought my 08 t-300 had good lighting. Never thought them to be yellow, different bulbs than 07's? Her sled get stored out of sun in summer?

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny, I thought my 08 t-300 had good lighting. Never thought them to be yellow, different bulbs than 07's? Her sled get stored out of sun in summer?
Perhaps the bulbs are crappy. Sled is stored outdoors but shaded and double-covered with the factory cover and a heavy aftermarket one on top. I think I may mount a 7" light bar just below the headlamps for good measure

·
Registered
376 Posts
No real issue with alignment and brightness on my 06. I did have a problem with them burning out the end of last season. Appeared to be the voltage regulator. I replaced it, but haven't had enough time on the sled to say for sure that the issue is resolved. I am not much of an electrician, but could the voltage regulator cause your lighting issue?

When I was going through bulbs, I brought one into NAPA to see if they could match one up. The guy new just what I wanted. Turned out he gave me the same bulb I use in my Civic. 9003 and there are plenty of different grades, though the brighter-more expensive ones are not rated to last as long.

Steve

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No real issue with alignment and brightness on my 06. I did have a problem with them burning out the end of last season. Appeared to be the voltage regulator. I replaced it, but haven't had enough time on the sled to say for sure that the issue is resolved. I am not much of an electrician, but could the voltage regulator cause your lighting issue?

When I was going through bulbs, I brought one into NAPA to see if they could match one up. The guy new just what I wanted. Turned out he gave me the same bulb I use in my Civic. 9003 and there are plenty of different grades, though the brighter-more expensive ones are not rated to last as long.

Steve
I run lots of H4's and yes, you can get the higher powered bulbs like the PIAA or the Silverstar, they are OK, but really don't compare to the LED bars. I was wondering about the voltage regulator on this Tundra as well... might have to do some tests. No lights popped yet, wondering if I should do the quick unplug test to see if the light brightens up.

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Labradorboy

What did you end up doing?
Ordered a 7" LED light bar, combo. When it gets here, it's going on the hood just below the headlights, mounted directly to the hood and tied into the H/L wiring to come on w high beam.

Headlights are ok, but aimed very low and they seem dull. We ride off trail so a little extra lighting will go a long way, esp for a young rider. These light bars give an incredible amount of light and are cheap like borsch these days.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
That is interesting on the light bar. My bulbs were failing due to a short in the hand warmers and not the regulator. I hope you can find a decent way to mount the bar. It is great that you and your daughter had a good time.

Dan

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't notice any difference between my 550F Backcountry and 300 Tundra headlight brightness. If your Tundra is dim, must be electrical problem or bad bulbs.
No, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I run a 13.5" bar + two 2x2 pods and my wife has HID's. The Tundra just seems weak in comparison. The bar will fixer her upper ;)

·
7,718 Posts
That is interesting on the light bar. My bulbs were failing due to a short in the hand warmers and not the regulator. I hope you can find a decent way to mount the bar. It is great that you and your daughter had a good time.

Dan
Bar will go right on the hood, will maintain the single disconnection point for removing the hood. A 7" bar will only draw 36W/3A, should patch in there just fine. Now that I have been thinking about it, I think that I will unplug both of the high beam feeds to the H4 connectors and splice in with a blade connector and heat shrink to feed the bar. the other will be tucked away nicely. I will just tie into the ground from either bulb. This should still be less of a draw than a single H4 high beam.

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could you abandon both stock headlights and go with two 7" bars? Have one on low beam and both on high beam?
Now you're talking! :p

Yes, that sounds quite possible using the low-beam feed in the same way that I'm planning to use the high beam feed.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Hi LB, did you get the LED bar working?

I'm looking for easy lighting upgrades for my 09 Tundra 300, considering upgrading the 55/60 watt H4's to 55/100 watt, but might consider LED's also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts