Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
RAIN IS NOT AN OPTION!
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple friends called me today to tell me they got tickets while riding on Rt 93 heading back from Waite rd. after being in Barnes Corners. They told me the cops One DEC and one sherriff were parked way off the road on the side of a barn

They were not speeding! They were just coming up the side of the road then actually turned around because a third friend had gotten stuck on the edge of a field (corner of wiate rd and 93). The cops came up on them digging out the buddy and gave them tickets for riding on the road (Rt93).

They were baffled as this is a marked trail on the current map. He even showed him the map but the cops said the map is not right.

This makes no sense!!! SO is Rt93 closed or being closed to sled traffic???? I was there this weekend and saw no signs that indicated a trail closed sign.

Hopefully this is not a case of more lost trails

·
Registered
110 Posts
talking about tickets, saturday five of us went to redfield to get gas and when we left we went across the lake heading back twards ceder pines. when we crossed the road we got stopped and they pulled my brother over because he has a aftermarket pipe on it. they told us it was illegal in the state of n.y. for anything aftermarket. we then stopped at barrows performance an a guy was in there that had the same sh&% happen to him. does anyone know the story or what? thats bullsh&%, ya hear alot of pipes when your rideing. fill me in.

·
RAIN IS NOT AN OPTION!
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SD440zx said:
A couple friends called me today to tell me they got tickets while riding on Rt 93 heading back from Waite rd. after being in Barnes Corners. They told me the cops One DEC and one sherriff were parked way off the road on the side of a barn

They were not speeding! They were just coming up the side of the road then actually turned around because a third friend had gotten stuck on the edge of a field (corner of wiate rd and 93). The cops came up on them digging out the buddy and gave them tickets for riding on the road (Rt93).

They were baffled as this is a marked trail on the current map. He even showed him the map but the cops said the map is not right.

This makes no sense!!! SO is Rt93 closed or being closed to sled traffic???? I was there this weekend and saw no signs that indicated a trail closed sign.

Hopefully this is not a case of more lost trails

[snapback]717945[/snapback]​
Well had to bring this up again. Looks like the DEC police stop some different friends of mine (group of 8) and warned them that Rt93 in Worth is not a snowmobile trail! The officer claimed that even though it is marked on the trail map is not designated for snowmobile use????????????????? I don't get it. We have used this trail for 20 years why is it now being closed to sleds???

Has any one else been stopped or ticketed here? my map has a Blue line there and the key says that blue lines are snomobile roads!

·
Straight out a Compton!
4,065 Posts
I'd just keep riding on it and not worry about it if it's on the map. They cant do anything about it unless their is a sign that say's trail is closed.

·
Backcountry Shredder
1,235 Posts
They are making up for lost revenue this year. Beginning of the year was slow for tickets from lack of snow so now they are ticketing for anything they can think of. I ride there every weekend and I stay away from all the popular trails but I still DEC all over. Watch out...they will get ya!

·
Registered
31 Posts
nannerboy said:
talking about tickets, saturday five of us went to redfield to get gas and when we left we went across the lake heading back twards ceder pines. when we crossed the road we got stopped and they pulled my brother over because he has a aftermarket pipe on it. they told us it was illegal in the state of n.y. for anything aftermarket. we then stopped at barrows performance an a guy was in there that had the same sh&% happen to him. does anyone know the story or what? thats bullsh&%, ya hear alot of pipes when your rideing. fill me in.
[snapback]718904[/snapback]​
I went to court Monday night for inadequate exhaust. The judge read the law to another guy that was there for the same thing. Aftermarket is ok as long as it doesn't exceed the original exhaust decibel reading. And there aren't many or possibly no aftermarket exhaust that is quieter than stock. The judge dismissed the tickets anyway. What a waist of my time and gas to drive out there.

·
RAIN IS NOT AN OPTION!
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
670Rider said:
nannerboy said:
I went to court Monday night for inadequate exhaust. The judge read the law to another guy that was there for the same thing. Aftermarket is ok as long as it doesn't exceed the original exhaust decibel reading. And there aren't many or possibly no aftermarket exhaust that is quieter than stock. The judge dismissed the tickets anyway. What a waist of my time and gas to drive out there.
[snapback]741316[/snapback]​
When they gave you the ticket did they do a sound test or check under your hood?

·
Straight out a Compton!
4,065 Posts
SD440zx said:
670Rider said:
nannerboy said:
[snapback]741316[/snapback]​
When they gave you the ticket did they do a sound test or check under your hood?
[snapback]741331[/snapback]​
Exactly I dont know how cops can give out tickets without doing a deceibal check. They just cant say it sounds louder than stock and give you a ticket, its bs.

·
D17
644 Posts
rode that rode sunday, cuzin broke his rear suspensioon on his PooPoo trying to keep up with us Revvers. THere were sled tracks and we passed sleds on our way towards WInona Forest.

I do need new carbides now.....darn road riding.

·
RAIN IS NOT AN OPTION!
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
djlamp17 said:
rode that rode sunday, cuzin broke his rear suspensioon on his PooPoo trying to keep up with us Revvers. THere were sled tracks and we passed sleds on our way towards WInona Forest.

I do need new carbides now.....darn road riding.
[snapback]741741[/snapback]​
I agree road riding isn't always my favorite either, but this rode is a main way to get from the east side of the hill. There are others but this way is not as bumpy like little john and that darn Salmon river road-I have never seen that groomed or flat!

·
Just doo it.
690 Posts
dobbs said:
Not sure why this discussion keeps coming about aftermarket being quiter than stock.

The law clearly says only stock exhausts are legal.

common sense would say that's stupid but it is NY
[snapback]741400[/snapback]​
Move to Canada eh.

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
went up to tug hill today and saw a few speed traps. watch out fellas. i would tell u where but i am not very familiar with the area. the person who was leading knows the trails like the back of his hand. granted we have been up the past 3 weeks but i jus dont know alot about the trails. keep an eye out for them, they sit just off the trails so u cant see them until it is too late. just a heads up for all of u.

Andrew

·
Registered
786 Posts
they are just parks tickets.... you dont even have to show up to court its not vehical and traffic tickets.... nothing they can do

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I got a ticket last fri. for riding in the middle of the trail (failure to yield right) I wasn't even close to the middle. I was staggered out from the person in front of me to keep out of there snow dust. This ticket was from the "fish cops" DEC. They seem to make things up, and they know your not going to drive back up to go to court.

·
Smile.....it confuses people
1,799 Posts
dobbs said:
Not sure why this discussion keeps coming about aftermarket being quiter than stock.

The law clearly says only stock exhausts are legal.

common sense would say that's stupid but it is NY
[snapback]741400[/snapback]​
The law states that a snowmobile cannot be modified to be louder than stock.

(e) Mufflers. An adequate muffler system in good working condition. On
and after June first, nineteen seventy-two, no snowmobile manufactured
after June first, nineteen seventy-two shall be sold or offered for sale
unless it is equipped in such a way as to limit noise produced by the
snowmobile to not more than eighty-two decibels as measured on the "A"
scale at fifty feet. On and after June first, nineteen seventy-five, no
such snowmobile manufactured after June first, nineteen seventy-five
shall be sold or offered for sale unless it is equipped in such a way as
to limit noise produced by the snowmobile to not more than seventy-eight
decibels on such scale. On and after June first, nineteen eighty, no
such snowmobile manufactured after June first, nineteen eighty, shall be
sold or offered for sale unless it is equipped in such a way as to limit
noise produced by the snowmobile to not more than seventy-three decibels
on such scale. Should the federal government adopt snowmobile noise
level standards different from those contained in this paragraph and
require that the state conform thereto, the commissioner shall be
authorized to adopt rules and regulations superseding the noise level
requirements of this paragraph to achieve compliance with federal
standards. No snowmobile shall be modified by any person in any manner
that shall amplify or otherwise increase total noise emission to a level
greater than that emitted by the snowmobile as originally constructed,
regardless of date of manufacture.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
"No snowmobile shall be modified by any person in any manner
regardless of date of manufacture."

Therefore, they MUST do a decibel test to prove that the aftermarket system is indeed louder than 82 decibels at 50 feet. Because, not every exhaust system is louder than stock. No test, ticket gets thrown out.

·
Smile.....it confuses people
1,799 Posts
tughillterror said:
"No snowmobile shall be modified by any person in any manner
regardless of date of manufacture."

Therefore, they MUST do a decibel test to prove that the aftermarket system is indeed louder than 82 decibels at 50 feet. Because, not every exhaust system is louder than stock. No test, ticket gets thrown out.
[snapback]744222[/snapback]​
Exactly
however landowners don't need a decibel meter to close trails, so use your heads people

·
Registered
141 Posts
Gossin said:
they are just parks tickets.... you dont even have to show up to court its not vehical and traffic tickets.... nothing they can do
[snapback]742528[/snapback]​
I told a friend to ignore his parks ticket. the parks guy was picky and wrote him a ticket for his numbers being too small. 2" instead of 3" letters/numbers. he just bought 11 yr old sled to try out snowmobiling for a yr or two before getting a new one.
instead he talked to a few people that said the fine would be low, so he mailed in the ticket with an explanation that his numbers were a little small.
he got back fine in mail and it was $100+$55 NYS court surgarge fee.
When you measure the actual numbers on his sled, they are biggier than the ones NYS supplies. it's just the replective block around the nimbers is "3 high.
bullsh$t tick cost a new sledder $155, now it's left a bad taste in his mouth about snowmobiling. not sue if he'll buy a sled next yr or not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts