Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we were making our way off the hill yesterday(saturday, 2/11) afternoon about 2pm when we came across a bunch of emergency vehicles, the police and firemen were stopping all sled traffic from going thru while they waited for a medivac helicopter to come pick up an accident victim. This was at the tug hill inn, it looked very serious, anyone know the details? Is the rider ok? The hill was jam packed, I'm glad we got our 100 miles in by 2. Ride safe everyone!

·
Registered
188 Posts
biggziff said:
There was also a fatality reported in here from the hill. 4:45 on Sat..guy hit a tree 55 years old.
[snapback]711991[/snapback]​
Ziff,nothing to do with the accidents, but what do you think about next thursdays riding condions on the hill? think it will still be very busy and it looks like the hill is getting more snow.

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
Weds/Thurs would be my day(s) of choice to ride. I'm betting that traffic will be very low after this weekend. Friday would be good as far as grooming also, but I think they'll be grooming early this week in hopes that they can get the base packed and frozen up.

Snow all week from what I've heard...planning on going up midweek...not sure which day yet.

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
biggziff said:
There was also a fatality reported in here from the hill. 4:45 on Sat..guy hit a tree 55 years old.
That one wasn't from Tug Hill - Malone area I believe. A good source for info up here is www.newzjunky.com. They'll normally have it on there before the ambulance arrives. In fact, they had pictures of the helicoptor landing at Tug Hill yesterday before the story hit DooTalk.

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
MX-Z Man said:
biggziff said:
That one wasn't from Tug Hill - Malone area I believe. A good source for info up here is www.newzjunky.com. They'll normally have it on there before the ambulance arrives. In fact, they had pictures of the helicoptor landing at Tug Hill yesterday before the story hit DooTalk.
[snapback]712132[/snapback]​
Thanks for the correction...

·
MTM follower
2,592 Posts
biggziff said:
Weds/Thurs would be my day(s) of choice to ride. I'm betting that traffic will be very low after this weekend. Friday would be good as far as grooming also, but I think they'll be grooming early this week in hopes that they can get the base packed and frozen up.

Snow all week from what I've heard...planning on going up midweek...not sure which day yet.
[snapback]712126[/snapback]​
Your going wednesday with me and possible staying over.. lol

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
if a fractured hip was the only casualty from the past week of riding... then we all did good!

it was more crowded then I have EVER seen it, but 99.9% were courteous and right riding riders! I saw NO problems at all on Thursday-

I'm betting that traffic will be very low after this weekend.
I'll take that bet! I hope your right but one week does not a season make, I think it is going to be busy on Tug Hill as long as there is such a small area with snow... now if the state gets hit with a foot or more... we might see some space between sleds...

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
I'll bet this week won't be any where near as bad as last week. I think every single registered snowmobile from Maine, Mass, Vt, NH, NJ, Pa, OH, CT, and NY was on The Hill this past week. If not, it sure seemed like it...

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
cArNaGe said:
biggziff said:

[snapback]712329[/snapback]​
Hey...looks like another lake effect storm coming to the hill Monday morning through Tuesday midnight...another foot or so...

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
biggziff said:
cArNaGe said:
biggziff said:

[snapback]712329[/snapback]​
Hey...looks like another lake effect storm coming to the hill Monday morning through Tuesday midnight...another foot or so...
[snapback]712422[/snapback]​
Oh Yeah!!

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM MONDAY TO
12 PM EST TUESDAY...

A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM MONDAY TO
12 NOON EST TUESDAY.

LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL LIKELY BEGIN OVER OSWEGO COUNTY MONDAY
MORNING... THEN DRIFT NORTH DURING THE DAY INTO SOUTHERN
JEFFERSON COUNTY AND PARTS OF LEWIS COUNTY AND CONTINUE THROUGH
MOST OF MONDAY NIGHT. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF A FOOT OR MORE ARE
POSSIBLE IN THE MOST PERSISTENT SNOWS BY TUESDAY MORNING...WITH
GREATEST RISK OF THIS ON THE TUG HILL.

WINDS WILL INCREASE DURING MONDAY AND PRODUCE CONSIDERABLE
BLOWING AND DRIFTING. GUSTS TO 30 MPH MAY REDUCE VISIBILITY TO
ZERO IN WHITEOUTS.

G

·
Sounds like, it was a good thing we were busy this weekend. Headed up Weds night- Monday
Hope that lake snow will dump!!

·
I'm disinclined to acquiesce your request.
36,411 Posts
I was over at Indian Lake on saturday and although they were not affected by the lake effect snows,conditions were decent...It was icy in spots and they could use more snow but we got 100 miles in by noon...We left from cedar river parking area and went all the way up to Norridgewock,stopped by Big Moose lake and watched some guys ripping up and down the strip...Had lunch at the Old Barn and by the time we were done the trails were jam packed with quite a few yahoos.There was a couple of guys being rude.loud and disrespectful at the gas pumps at the Old Barn,complaining about paying 3.19 for gas..Swearing and raising he double hockey stick with the people inside,wanna play,gotta pay..

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
BAMMER said:
I was over at Indian Lake on saturday and although they were not affected by the lake effect snows,conditions were decent...It was icy in spots and they could use more snow but we got 100 miles in by noon...We left from cedar river parking area and went all the way up to Norridgewock,stopped by Big Moose lake and watched some guys ripping up and down the strip...Had lunch at the Old Barn and by the time we were done the trails were jam packed with quite a few yahoos.There was a couple of guys being rude.loud and disrespectful at the gas pumps at the Old Barn,complaining about paying 3.19 for gas..Swearing and raising he double hockey stick with the people inside,wanna play,gotta pay..
[snapback]712843[/snapback]​
There is a place to turn in suspected price gouging in NYS:

https://www1.consumer.state.ny.us/cpb/GASComplaintForm.html

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Rode 170 miles on Tug Hill Friday. Only had one run-in with an idiot on the trail. XLT boy just had to pass us on Little John Road. I let him by and then he passes my buddy on a blind uphill. Fortunately, no one was coming the other way, or it could have been deadly.

Also, got to love the sledders doing shots at 10:00 AM at the Flatrock.

I knew that this was going to be weekend that you didn't want to be on Tug Hill.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts