Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have wanted to race for the past couple of years now, and bought a 05 x hoping I could maybe run in some events in my state (MI) but afterwards I read that I would pretty much break that machine if I raced it hard.

Therefore I obviously need to get a 440x. I am looking at '03-'05 (used '05 not new) machines. I have seen a few on ebay, but not many. Basically what is a fair price to pay for those machines? Which one would be my best choice to go with?

an '03 will obviously be cheaper BUT should I try to get an 04 or 05, are they that much better/different ( I know the 05 has SC4 skid which is supposed to be better for snow x right?)

I don't really plan on riding it on the trails because I'm keeping my X for that, I MAY set it up for trails incase someone wants to ride with me, but its not a big deal.

How likely are you to get sponsored in the sport (or novice or whatever the beginner class is called) divison? I know I can probably get some local businesses to sponsor me but do most bigger companies save their $$ for semi pro & up riders??

All I can really think of right now. Thanks a lot guys!

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Yes, your best bet is to start out in the beginner class. Try the MSXRA, they treat the first timers well and are local in Michigan. Good luck trying to find monetary ($$) sponsors in snowcross, there are only a few people in snowcross racing that are making money. Your best bet is to contact some companies that offer race programs. Check out Woody's and Stud Boy, they are located in Michigan too.

If your looking for sleds go to the few last races in Michigan and racers are usually getting ready to sell there sleds. Also, the WSA usually has a racers meeting in the beginning of the season at the Novi expo.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drewalt said:
Yes, your best bet is to start out in the beginner class. Try the MSXRA, they treat the first timers well and are local in Michigan. Good luck trying to find monetary ($$) sponsors in snowcross, there are only a few people in snowcross racing that are making money. Your best bet is to contact some companies that offer race programs. Check out Woody's and Stud Boy, they are located in Michigan too.

If your looking for sleds go to the few last races in Michigan and racers are usually getting ready to sell there sleds. Also, the WSA usually has a racers meeting in the beginning of the season at the Novi expo.
[snapback]306281[/snapback]​
I'm not looking for full rides or anything, just whatever they'd give me lol. That is until I am riding pro with blair lol (hey we can all dream right?)

I don't really know what to do I woud like to pay off my X before I go out and buy another sled (sometime in the summer) and I would also think that there would be better deals on sleds come summertime. I will have to work on the finances and see.

What about the diff years as well. I would imagine that for a beginner an 03 would be equally as good as an 05 BUT I don't want to and can't afford to upgrade every season so I don't know if the '03 would be a good choice or not...

·
Registered
39 Posts
There have been a number of postings recently about getting into racing. I posted one about help finding sponsorships not too long ago and got some good advice. Get a website to show off your sponsors and as a business expense.

I don't think that you really need to purchase a different sled to race if you already have an 05 X. All you really need to do is to invest in some good after market shocks, get your track studded and get all the safety items required and try racing stock classes to begin.

You really don't want to be out there with guys who having been racing for a number of years without some practicing prior to the race. Racing snowcross is a lot different than riding fast on a bumpy trail.

·
Registered
186 Posts
fsrab said:
There have been a number of postings recently about getting into racing. I posted one about help finding sponsorships not too long ago and got some good advice. Get a website to show off your sponsors and as a business expense.

I don't think that you really need to purchase a different sled to race if you already have an 05 X. All you really need to do is to invest in some good after market shocks, get your track studded and get all the safety items required and try racing stock classes to begin.

You really don't want to be out there with guys who having been racing for a number of years without some practicing prior to the race. Racing snowcross is a lot different than riding fast on a bumpy trail.
[snapback]307180[/snapback]​
Send the kid out on the snowcross track with an x sled and it'll get toasted in 2 races - new shocks or not - the tunnel doesn't have the supports that the MXZX has, and you need em.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skidooracer155 said:
fsrab said:

Send the kid out on the snowcross track with an x sled and it'll get toasted in 2 races - new shocks or not - the tunnel doesn't have the supports that the MXZX has, and you need em.
[snapback]308581[/snapback]​
This is where I'm lost. I have people telling me the x will be fine w/ the bracing and proper setup and others saying no way... I don't know what to do.

I will probably end up buying a racer just for the piece of mind. Then on the horizon is the switch from 440's to 600's... *sigh*

·
Registered
186 Posts
fst89lx said:
skidooracer155 said:
fsrab said:

This is where I'm lost. I have people telling me the x will be fine w/ the bracing and proper setup and others saying no way... I don't know what to do.

I will probably end up buying a racer just for the piece of mind. Then on the horizon is the switch from 440's to 600's... *sigh*
[snapback]308734[/snapback]​
You'll need:

New springs, shocks, bracing, clutching, brakes, gears, controls, tether, control arms, track, tunnel protectors, and the list goes on...

PS - You have a MXZ 600 with the x package, not a MXZX

·
Registered
39 Posts
skidooracer155 said:
fst89lx said:
skidooracer155 said:
fsrab said:

You'll need:

New springs, shocks, bracing, clutching, brakes, gears, controls, tether, control arms, track, tunnel protectors, and the list goes on...

[snapback]308801[/snapback]​
Well, a lot of it will have to do with; "What can you afford?" Can you afford to buy another sled just for racing? I know a lot of guys who are racing the 600 and they aren't falling apart. Are you going to the races and talking with the guys in the pits? Go check out what they have. You need more than just a sled to go racing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
fsrab said:
skidooracer155 said:
fst89lx said:
skidooracer155 said:
fsrab said:

You'll need:

[snapback]308801[/snapback]​
Well, a lot of it will have to do with; "What can you afford?" Can you afford to buy another sled just for racing? I know a lot of guys who are racing the 600 and they aren't falling apart. Are you going to the races and talking with the guys in the pits? Go check out what they have. You need more than just a sled to go racing.
[snapback]308823[/snapback]​
Then they aren't racing, they are just driving around the track - in order to race to win, you've got to hit the jumps hard, and no stock sled is gonna take that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I can afford a racing sled, I have figured it out and I need to pay off my x first but when that is done I can afford a race machine.

I have only been to the race at MIS this year, I missed a race in gaylord before that because I just totally forgot about it. I would like to see a couple more and go into the pits and check stuff out some more though, it is a good time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes… You can RACE and win with a 600 X. Not everyone is running an MXZX 440 LC in all the classes. What are the classes they run out there? A 600 X won the IronDog last year, and that race is a hell of a lot harder on a machine than a snow cross race. But since you can afford a “race” sled then your best bet would be to go ahead and buy one. That way you still have a trail sled to play around with. GOOD LUCK!

·
skidlid
603 Posts
Only my opinion soo please do not hold it against me; the stock sleds when ridden hard do not handle snocross well. If you are one of the riders that can come into this sport with some speed than a consomer sled will end up costing more than the race sled when you are done! Seen many consomer sleds at the track and yes some can make it work but they are either not ridding it hard or the sled works good for them for a small period of time before they ruin it. Now they have a junk consumer sled that they need to throw a ton of money in to fix. Best is try one race on your sled and gamble that it holds up or borrow someones race sled. Buy a used sled at first to save on depreciation and to have it already set up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.