Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In need of a new trailer and have decided this type of trailer will suit my needs perfectly based on my tow vehicle and storage space for the trailer. I'm coming from a 2002 sledbed 101 x 10 with a Blizzard clamshell cover. Don't want the tilt or the width of the 101. Does anyone have any experience with pros and cons specific to both of these trailers? Reading all the specs the two seem very similar, this is why I'm looking for input regarding something I may be missing that would make me choose one over the other. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
485 Posts
I was in your shoes a year or so ago.

Always liked Triton but the local dealer didn't return my calls so it made the decision easy.

I probably would have done the PL anyway, but thought I'd give Triton a shot.

Otherwise, I can't speak for the Triton. The PL allows for some customization since most are built to order (I had elec brakes installed from the factory, as an example).

I intentionally went with the standard interior height since when I tow it's usually 500+ miles one way (to Canada) and I wanted to minimize wind drag.

Been happy with the PL and I like the small business aspect of their company. Think the owner is a sledder and seems hands on in the PL business. I would buy another one without hesitation.

I'm in SE PA, so for delivery of the trailer (rather then me picking up) I met a driver in Scranton PA....although I think they'll do door to door delivery if you don't want to drive to pick it up.

The interior I did myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
In the fall of 2013 I bought a 6 month old 2012 Proline as the owner needed a 4 place. He went with another Proline and I get the best trailer on the road. 16,000 miles later its sill like new. I have made it mine with a finished interior and custom electrical work as well as mats and glides. In the off season the sleds come out and we use it for everything. Tows like a dream. 2 of my snowmobiles buddies have the IS716 and love them.

You wont find a better built trailer, great customer service and brand loyalty than a Proline.

The Murtagh family who owns the company are great people, support the sport and bend over backward for Proline owners, yes even used owners.

174010.jpg

140931.jpg

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I guess dealers aren't crazy about them because they sell direct. (Proline) I know I've hit them with a bunch of questions and they are always quick, precise and polite. Considering them for my next one.

Current is a SnoPro. Not my first. Nice trailer but lacking in details and follow up. My dealer was a great help. Haven't had any major issues, only stupid minor ones.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the TC167. It is a 2014. Gets used all year long with sleds and atv's. Love it. Does everything i need and more. Single axle and so light you could tow it with a bicycle. Quality built trailer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the Triton weighs about 300 lbs less, but from the pictures i have seen the Triton's wall and roof supports are not 16" on center like the Proline. That and the standard .030 skin on the Proline is probably where the extra weight comes from.

im4snow, can you fuel both sleds from the man door? I'm willing to get the fuel door, but wondering if its necessary with the man door.

Nice trailers everyone. I'd love the v nose, but its out of my budget

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
I have had fuel doors on my last three trailers and never used them.

Seemed like I would have learned from the first one. My friends never use theirs either.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
If you don't have an AC hook up on the trailer it's a nice way to get a cord in and the weather out. I've used the doors more for that than fueling.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I bought a Proline 716 in 2011. Here is my experience:

Overall great trailer. People at Proline are good to deal with.

Have had a few issues with the trailer:

The front fuel door needed to be replaced twice. They did that at no cost.

The side door was replaced this year at cost.

I replaced the axel and hubs this year with galvanized ones. I never thought to coat the axel to protect it from rust and it was terribly rusted from road salt when I looked at it this summer. A lot of metal was flaking off of the axel - as in tons of it. Frankly, galvanized is how they should all come.

So, overall I really like the trailer and the company. Is the trailer perfect? No. Are any of them? No.

Would I buy another Proline? Yes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the Triton weighs about 300 lbs less, but from the pictures i have seen the Triton's wall and roof supports are not 16" on center like the Proline. That and the standard .030 skin on the Proline is probably where the extra weight comes from.

im4snow, can you fuel both sleds from the man door? I'm willing to get the fuel door, but wondering if its necessary with the man door.

Nice trailers everyone. I'd love the v nose, but its out of my budget
I've never tied to be honest.

·
Registered
485 Posts

I replaced the axel and hubs this year with galvanized ones. I never thought to coat the axel to protect it from rust and it was terribly rusted from road salt when I looked at it this summer. A lot of metal was flaking off of the axel - as in tons of it. Frankly, galvanized is how they should all come.

So, overall I really like the trailer and the company. Is the trailer perfect? No. Are any of them? No.

Good to know. I spray my axle late fall and spring with Fluid Film in hopes of minimizing corrosion but I agree it would be nice to be able to order a new trailer with zero conventional steel anywhere given the conditions we drive through.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

What was the issue with the side door?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought a Triton TC11 in 2011. Went with a wide trailer because it fits in the driveway better and is honestly easier to get sleds in and out easier and quicker.
I have owned cheaper trailers and have found the difference is not only the construction (aluminium) but how the wiring is put together as well as axels and bearings. I have 2 Tritons , TC11 & GU10 and my brother has a 24 Prestige. We have never had bearing failure or any kind of wiring issue.
The only drawback to the TC11 is the amount of fuel used, its like pulling a sail in a headwind.
I use the fuel door all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update to this thread, I spoke with Aaron at Proline the other day (super nice, answered all my questions). They now offer a galvanized Dexter axle for the IS-716 for $150 extra, which seems like a bargain to me. Sounds like this is the route i will be going

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
I picked up a Pro Line S101-12 Hybrid two weeks ago at their facility in New Hampshire. I had them install the Dexter galvanized axle and dex-gal electric brakes. I had several other options as well. Good people to work with.

The only problem I had with the trailer was on the way back to Michigan--all of the black weather/trim molding came loose and blew off. I called Pro Line and they immediately sent me a box of new molding. Took about 45 minutes to re-install.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats on your new purchase, and glad to hear they gave you good service

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
sofa--The IS-716 is a very nice trailer. Are you getting the single or dual axle ? With or without electric brakes? What other options are you planning ?

I thought about the IS-716 but I already have a four place inline. I wanted a second trailer 8' wide for quick trips when I want to take one or two sleds. Just drive on and back off.

When I left Michigan I picked up Toecutter from this site in Cleveland and he rode to New Hampshire with me. He ordered a IS-716 while we were at Pro-Line. He added some options as well. Pretty sure he got the galvanized axles too.

Good luck with your purchase. If I can be of any help or you would like to know what I added or deleted let me know. I have had several trailers since I started sledding in 1964. Pretty much have learned from experience what works for me and what doesn't.

Don~

·
"The Podiatrist"
4,075 Posts
I did order the IS-716 single axle with the galvanized upgrade for $100 more. Picking it up sometime in July.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts