Minister Ministre
9th Floor, Hearst Block 9e étage, Édifice Hearst
900 Bay Street 900, rue Bay
Toronto, ON M7A 2E1 Toronto, ON M7A 2E1
Tel: (416) 326-9326 Tél.: (416) 326-9326
Fax: (416) 326-9338 Téléc.: (416) 326-9338
January 25, 2006
Dear Tourism Partner:
You may know that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Department of State have announced
that they are developing a new travel document, the PASS (People Access Security Service) card, as an
alternative to their earlier proposal to require a passport to cross land borders into the U.S. from Canada.
This represents progress in our effort to keep the border free-flowing for tourism. The passport-only
approach has been dropped. The proposed PASS card is wallet-sized and would be more convenient to
carry than a passport. It would cost less.
Our government strongly supports the goal of improving border security. Nevertheless serious concerns
remain, given the vital importance of the safe and efficient movement of people across the border to both
our countries' economies.
The PASS card would be an added expense, particularly for families, and the application process is still
unclear. We would like to see children under 16 allowed to enter the U.S. with proof of citizenship only,
provided they are travelling with a parent, guardian or designated chaperone who is in possession of
secure travel documents.
The inconvenience of having to apply for and carry a new document would be a barrier to many of our
traditional visitors. We remain convinced that the best solution is not a new kind of identification, but
rather that travellers be allowed to use an existing, commonly carried piece of ID, upgraded with new
security features and a citizenship designation.
Our government will continue to advocate for the establishment of a bi-national working group to consider
alternative proposals to the PASS Security Card. We would like to see any new form of travel
documentation piloted on a trial basis at border crossings before the full implementation takes place. With
a new government in Ottawa, I will be renewing my call for a national tourism summit to address the
passport/PASS issue and other matters of concern to the tourism industry.
The tradition of friendship and cooperation across our border demands that we work to find a way to
increase security, while maintaining tourism and trade. The Ontario government is committed to
continuing to work with elected representatives and industry leaders from both countries to further improve
the border security initiative.
It is helpful to have stakeholders engage in this effort with us. Please share our concerns with your
members, staff and customers, so that they can educate others on the importance of this issue. If you
have any questions or concerns, please contact the Director of Tourism Policy at the Ministry of Tourism,
Sheila Larmer, at (416) 325-6055, or at [email protected]
Yours sincerely,
Jim Bradley
Minister

Hope this helps anybody!!

Evil

·
Hold It Wide Open Till You See God
2,311 Posts
I just wish they wouldn't keep changing their minds.
The passport is accepted worldwide and it isn't going to be any easier to get this new card either.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I agree....... get the dang Passport and be done with it. Just go to your local Post Office and pick up the form fill it out take the required documentation back with you and they take your picture and everything for you now!!!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
brs2002 said:
I agree....... get the dang Passport and be done with it. Just go to your local Post Office and pick up the form fill it out take the required documentation back with you and they take your picture and everything for you now!!!!!
[snapback]690409[/snapback]​
Your missing the point. A passport cost $100 +, you have to get a guarantor (doctor, lawyer, police officer etc) to sign your photo etc., a pain the in the ___.
You have to do this every 5 years. So for a family of 5 to go to Disneyland for vacation, it costs an extra $500 +. From a tourism point of view this is a lot of money. Consider that people on this website complain about the cost difference between semi-synthetic and synthetic oil. Consider the US/Canada border can easily be cross without passing a border guard. Consider the US/Mexico border and the number of illegal immigrants coming across on a nightly basis. A passport to cross the US/Canada border is bureaucratic joke for homeland security.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
SnowCruiser said:
brs2002 said:
Your missing the point. A passport cost $100 +, you have to get a guarantor (doctor, lawyer, police officer etc) to sign your photo etc., a pain the in the ___.
You have to do this every 5 years. So for a family of 5 to go to Disneyland for vacation, it costs an extra $500 +. From a tourism point of view this is a lot of money. Consider that people on this website complain about the cost difference between semi-synthetic and synthetic oil. Consider the US/Canada border can easily be cross without passing a border guard. Consider the US/Mexico border and the number of illegal immigrants coming across on a nightly basis. A passport to cross the US/Canada border is bureaucratic joke for homeland security.
[snapback]691949[/snapback]​
What the heck...... when was the last time you applied for a PAssport???? It is $75.00 and you need NOONE to sign your picture! You can now get them taken right at the United States Post Office. My wife and kids just got them...... Or maybe you are talking about the canadian Passport...... well consider this you could fly to Mexico no passport needed right then just walk across to the U.S. at night (since this is always happening) then just catch a bus to disney. All I know is that having a Passport makes International travel much easier.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
brs2002 said:
SnowCruiser said:
brs2002 said:
[snapback]691949[/snapback]​
What the heck...... when was the last time you applied for a PAssport???? It is $75.00 and you need NOONE to sign your picture! You can now get them taken right at the United States Post Office. My wife and kids just got them...... Or maybe you are talking about the canadian Passport...... well consider this you could fly to Mexico no passport needed right then just walk across to the U.S. at night (since this is always happening) then just catch a bus to disney. All I know is that having a Passport makes International travel much easier.
[snapback]691962[/snapback]​
He's right, you do need a guarantor to sign your picture. Must be a canadian thing ... we are security nuts up here, didn't you know?

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/passports/how_obtain_e.asp

·
Registered
691 Posts
brs2002 said:
I agree. Besides, I already have a passport.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.