Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Queen Elizabeth II Wildlands Provincial Park is a non operating PP in Southern Ontario. It is the 2nd largest South of Algonquin Park. The Park is 33,505 hectares and was created in 2002. The early years the area was logged and then a forest fire the area suffered huge erosion filling in lakes with sediment turning them into Marshes. The area is filled with lakes, marshes, creeks high cliffs and barren rock. The park soon became know as The Burnt Lands.

This is an area I explored last March and had wanted to plan a trip in to do more exploring through the area. There is no organized snowmobiling in the area and it is a true wilderness experience.

Four of us headed in on 2 Snowmobiles to do some camping and explore the area. The temps the week before were in the above freezing but susposed to drop back down to

-9C through the day and -15 C and night.

QEIIPP016_zps938ba6aa.jpg

My research showed that there were three lakes in a row with one having Rainbow Trout, one Lakers and Splake. We would try to camp on one of these lakes. Most of the lakes have high rock edges and lots had cliffs. We found what looked to be a great spot but soon found it was very windy.

DSCF0701_zps62fda6de.jpg

We got the tents set up and started to collect firewood for the long night ahead.

DSCF0703_zpsc938aa1e.jpg

DSCF0721_zpse0070b3b.jpg

DSCF0705_zps52409ff9.jpg

We got enough wood split for the evening and started to boil water and get some dinner on the go.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
DSCF0758_zps16b17cad.jpg

QEIIPP018_zps7dbe7434.jpg

DSCF0709_zps5565e4a1.jpg

The next day we got up at the crack of 0800 hr. Took a bit to get breakfast going since I do not do anything until I have my two cups of coffee. We went through most of our wood so the job of the day was collecting wood.

DSCF0740_zpsec7c88ac.jpg

We found a large Oak tree down and figured we would harvest some wood from it. Now the snow is deep once off the trail but hey I have a Tundra. Pulling the toboggan and a second person on the Tundra it sunk fast.

QEIIPP020_zpsd643c5a0.jpg

There was no way we could lift it so we had to dig down just to see what was going on . The ski had caught a buried branch pulling the Tundra to the right and the track landed on a buried Log and spun. We were stuck.

QEIIPP022_zps0b32cc24.jpg

I decided we need to dig out the side so we could push it over on it's side and pack snow down under the track.

QEIIPP024_zps04f7b98d.jpg

Once the snow was piled under the track the Tundra walked out.

We headed back to camp for a coffee and some lunch.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DSCF0728_zpsb2a18d39.jpg

It was a quiet afternoon for us. The wind was really high and standing on a lake being blown around didn't sound as good as sitting in a warm tent having a cold beer.

DSCF0728_zpsb2a18d39.jpg

That evening we sat around and had a great dinner.

DSCF0717_zps5e59363d.jpg

The next morning we got up and had some breakfast and planned the day.

DSCF0735_zpsdc166d66.jpg

DSCF0723_zps27bd345d.jpg

Well it looks like it is another wood day. It has been so windy we thought the tents were going to blow down but they held fast with no additional anchoring.

DSCF0730_zpsd5f62c30.jpg

WE headed off to locate a new source of wood. I travelled across several beaver ponds and could see some great wood for fire.

We all know Tundras can't get stuck. WE it happened again. I had a fully loaded toboggan with wood and started off, tried to turn a bit up hill and it sunk.

DSCF0745_zps6a89a386.jpg

Well there was no way I could lift it so I took some logs we had cut and made a lever. WE dug down to the track as I didn't want to pry off the tunnel.

DSCF0745_zps6a89a386.jpg

DSCF0752_zpsc13ca065.jpg

DSCF0753_zps70589d82.jpg

DSCF0751_zps44e0929c.jpg

Well it was a bit of a chore to get it out. The first time it spit the wood out. We got my buddy to lift the sled with the leaver and I pulled the rear end over. I was then able to walk it out fairly easy.

DSCF0747_zps6fb74216.jpg

I made it back to base with a good load of wood.

DSCF0755_zps548a22e6.jpg

We were all exausted so we hung around camp then decided to go for a rip on the sleds and explore.

DSCF0715_zps63fef56b.jpg

DSCF0714_zpsf9f59dc2.jpg

Now this was the most impressive find on our trip. A brand new out house in the middle of no where. It was complete with water proofed toilet paper. Of course I had to test it out.

. DSCF0713_zps851b8b51.jpg

That night we hung around the tents drinking wine and talking. We decided we have been over eating and just had snacks for dinner instead of cooking another big dinner.

DSCF0719_zps9dbd921e.jpg

DSCF0759_zps963325d5.jpg

DSCF0744_zps149678e6.jpg

So the next morning we broke camp and headed home. Sure takes a long time to pack the toboggans, make two trips each and load the vehicles.

It was a great trip and had lots of positive experiences. I talked to a trapper I ran into who told me there didn"t seem to be any trout in the lakes I was asking about. I kind of figured since the locals were only fishing the first two lakes coming in to the park. We next year we will have a better idea of the area.

RR

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
where exactly did you enter the park? my cottage is in minden and is bordering the park. my fathers friends cottage is actually in the park.

·
Registered
400 Posts
you guys are nuts!

I prefer the Holiday Inn when Im sledding!

;)

that was fun to look at your pics!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where exactly did you enter the park? my cottage is in minden and is bordering the park. my fathers friends cottage is actually in the park.
We went through at Devil's lake. Talking to the trapper you can get to Minden by an old "pole line".

RR

·
Registered
52 Posts
We're heading to Devil's Lake tonight after work. We do have a little more comfy accommodations, my buddy has a cottage on the lake. We are going to fish the first lake back in from devils. Will report back after the weekend.

Good looking trip! Pics remind me of our moose hunting camps north of Thunder bay.

Cal

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We're heading to Devil's Lake tonight after work. We do have a little more comfy accommodations, my buddy has a cottage on the lake. We are going to fish the first lake back in from devils. Will report back after the weekend.

Good looking trip! Pics remind me of our moose hunting camps north of Thunder bay.

Cal
That would be Sheldon lake. The only lake that was being fished by the locals was Devil's. The trapper said he heard someone caught a Splake on Wolf. Just wonder if no one ever fishes it is why. Most of the lakes aren't real deep. Let me know how you do.

RR

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
As usual you post a very interesting read of your trips complete with pictures. I'm glad that 550 is running well for you. Thanks for the post.

Dan

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. The trips are always adventurous . I'm sure in a few years they will block access off to this great area. The 550 is running good. Still have an issue with how much gas I go through. Thinking of putting a widening kit on. I'd also like to put a better rack on it so I can store my snowshoes and not take up space. Keep toying with the idea of upgrading.

RR

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
ravinerat, olddly enough, my cottage is on the next lake further on deep bay road. bob lake!

Reactions: ravinerat

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd love to learn how to hook up some of the trails through Wildlands to get to an OFSC trail.

RR

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
you can get on the ofsc right off bob lake. not sure how you would make it there from devils lake though. other than by road

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I look at google earth there looks to be some kind of line or cut that would take me to scotch line. You have to go down Victoria , wolf Lk and a few smaller ones. I'll have to go back and investigate.

RR

·
Registered
27 Posts
To get to the ofsc trails you have to pick up an atv trail also named the garanaska hiking trail at the start which intersects the locals trail between Sheldon lake and Victoria lake. It heads north for about 5-10kms. There is a great lookout point along the way. It will eventually lead you to a hydro corridor. The trail continues east along the corridor where it meets up with ofsc trail B112 which gives you the option of heading into Minden or continuing North to the Top B trail

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the Info Brander. I'd like to get in there and try to hook them up.

RR

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went through there today. Trail has been broken and its a nice ride. If you have trouble finding it let me know because I was marking way points on gps along the way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts