Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if there is even such a thing, but is there anywhere to rent snowmobile trailers in MI? Need a 4-place.

We're going to the UP at the end of the month, but don't want to take 2 trucks.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
3 on trailer 1 on truck!

·
planes take off against the wind
15,035 Posts
Then its not going to tow a 4 place.

·
15,035 Posts
I assume you mean an open place.....

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
a lot od dealers have used trailers they rent out. try your local snowmobile dealers or rental companies, they should at least have a 16' bobcat trailer to use!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
ballmanm said:
It's actually a Trailblazer or Exploder. Can't really fit a sled in either.
[snapback]694657[/snapback]​
I tried hauling a 3 place with a trail blazer and was amazed how poorly it did! I'm not usually a chevy guy, but this really backed me up!

·
15,035 Posts
if you say so. realize that even with an aluminum trailer your load is close to or more than the truck wieght... Its all fine until something happens - wind, icy road ( like thats an issue this year,heh?) or another car and off to the ditch you go...

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
zdooman said:
if you say so. realize that even with an aluminum trailer your load is close to or more than the truck wieght... Its all fine until something happens - wind, icy road ( like thats an issue this year,heh?) or another car and off to the ditch you go...
[snapback]694835[/snapback]​
I used to two my first sled trailers (a 1 place and a 2 place open) with a VW Jetta 5 speed diesel. It hauled it, but it definately wasn't that safe... I just had to keep zero tongue weight so the front wheels would stay on the ground.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
tow rating on a trailblzer is 6500 lbs, 20 foot 4 palce enclosed is around 2200-2400 and 4 sleds are about 2400 for a total trailer weight of 4800 well within limits but then add 4 guys and their gear to the truck itself and you are going to be having a slow ride up hills unless it has the 5.3 in it.

·
15,035 Posts
yes - but you can never tow safely in winter at those ratings... they are made for summertime. Case in point we had an AWD Safari - rated for something like 6800#. I am not shy about driving or towing and with the trailer - 3300# and 2 sleds and gear 2200# - it scared me to death when the wind blew. Do what you will just please dont sit in front of me out there.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I would suggest renting a truck as well. A explorer or trail blazer are not intended to pull a trailer that size. My tahoe has trouble with my two place enclosed.

You need to get your hands on a diesel!!!

·
15,035 Posts
TeamScream said:
My tahoe has trouble with my two place enclosed.

[snapback]695026[/snapback]​
???? You have any air in them tires?

A tahoe even with the softest suspension should handle a 2 place no trouble. How are you loading it? too little tongue #, maybe?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
zdooman said:
TeamScream said:

A tahoe even with the softest suspension should handle a 2 place no trouble. How are you loading it? too little tongue #, maybe?
[snapback]695033[/snapback]​
It's not that it has a lot of trouble. It just switches in and out of OD a little more than my liking!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
TeamScream said:
zdooman said:
TeamScream said:

[snapback]695033[/snapback]​
It's not that it has a lot of trouble. It just switches in and out of OD a little more than my liking!

[snapback]695080[/snapback]​
get the towing gears next time, i know what you saying I can't tow on OD with my new avalanche while my other one with 4.10's would tow in overdrive in the tow/haul mode with no issues

·
Made Member
2,042 Posts
I have said that my Toyota Tacoma tow my open 2-place fairly good, which it does, but last week the trailer pushed my back end into a skid on a slick corner. I was able to keep it on the road by steering into it and getting on the gas. Pucker factor was kind of high for a second though.

The load is way less than the rated weight, but there is less of a safety margin. The breaks don't handle the load coming downhill very well either.

Soon as the business can support it, I am getting a diesel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts