Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
RS
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really not liking the fuel economy I get while towing just 2 sleds on an open trailer, seems like the gas trucks really start sucking gas even with 3000 pounds, it pretty well goes for the all V-8s even the eco boost.

I'm really debating if I should just go get a diesel, then Maybe later on I'd get an enclosed trailer, which i've wanted for a while now, I'm getting tired of messy open trailers.

When we want to make a trip to BC its easily 1000km drive other than that I only have to tow for 10km to about 80km to cover most our riding spots.

The biggest killer for the diesel to me is the fact that it use to be cheaper than gas and now is a lot more. + the truck costs a lot more, but I could still run a 6" lift and 35's and visit the pumps much less than a gas truck stock.

·
Registered
327 Posts
In my opinion you buy a diesel for the ease of towing. Yes you will get better gas mileage but the cost to run a diesel far exceeds the money saved in fuel economy. I have a diesel and would never go back but my truck is towing 60% of the time. I am sure you would love a diesel but if you are only going to tow a load 5% it is not cost effective. Now if you have plenty of money and you like the perks of life then yes buy one, you will love it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
In my opinion you buy a diesel for the ease of towing. Yes you will get better gas mileage but the cost to run a diesel far exceeds the money saved in fuel economy. I have a diesel and would never go back but my truck is towing 60% of the time. I am sure you would love a diesel but if you are only going to tow a load 5% it is not cost effective. Now if you have plenty of money and you like the perks of life then yes buy one, you will love it.
after having a diesel trucks for 25 yrs, this is the best advice!

·
RS
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cost of ownership don't matter, Through ford with the maintenance plan all oil changes and everything is all free. I own an F150 and Escape with the maintenance plan and I haven't spent a cent besides modifications.

I understand it would take a long time for a diesel to pay it self back considering its like 15g more but it will make sled trips cheaper, I'll also be removing the DPF and adding a tuner. I owned a 2004 Duramax 2500 before my 2011 and it was great, tuned with 5" exhaust and cold airintake, had a level with 35" tires it burnt fuel like a 4cyl car on the highway and towed a 4 place trailer for the fuel my 1/2 tows an open 2 place aluminum.

The new 2015 F150 is 700 pounds lighter and has a lot of great features that I really like, (remote open tail gate, Cameras, All glass roof...) with the half ton the money i'll save could go towards a ninja 1000, but a diesel wins the cool factor and exhaust sound!!!

For you guys that tow 3-4 sleds with a 1/2 done, how many km of miles to you get? I burn about 100L to go 400km towing with SUCKSSS I can't carry enough gas to ride the dunes because its 250 ish km each way.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My last trip to the U.P. with my Ecoboost, towing my NEO 7x26 with 4 sleds/people/gear, averaging about 60-65mph, I was able to achieve between 11-12 mpg. I was extremely happy with that and it is very respectable considering the load hauled. I would LOVE to have a 3/4 ton diesel but that price tag is just not in the cards for me. For the few times a year that I tow, the gasser does the job well enough!

·
RS
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here in Canada and using ford as an example

F150 $55,000 thats fully loaded FX4

F250 $71,000 eaually equiped

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Very true!!!!!!!!! Good advice!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Why not a bigger gas motor? I pull a 7k pound toyhauler 6 times a year, and a 2 sled clamshell 12-15 times a year. Not towing I can get 19-20 mpg, towing the trailer 14mpg, and the camper 8 or so. Truck is a Sierra 1500 with the 6.2 gas. Plenty of power to tow what I have, and reasonable ( for a truck) fuel economy.

I really wanted a diesel, but I could not rationalize the cost of a bigger truck, more expensive fuel and maintenance, with the amount of towing I do. Maybe if I hauled bigger loads or towed all the time? Then a diesel for sure.

·
RS
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow you must have a lucky truck, my father owned a 6.0 L gas and that thing was horrible on gas, I had a 2012 6L gas 2500 as a work truck and am i glad the gas was free, I burned a tank of gas every 5 days it wasn't even sensible how bad that thing was on gas. you couldn't syfin gas as fast as this thing burnt it. My buddies 2012 5.3L burns the same as my lifted ecoboost,

I hear the 2014 GM trucks are much better on fuel so we will see, GM offers stupid packages on their trucks, I don't think they do any homework. Ford offers all axle ratios on all packages and for 2014 you can add the FX4 package to any truck which is AWESOME. With chevy you can't get the 3.73 axle in an all terrain package. its plain stupid, at least with ford I can get a basic or luxury truck with the 3.73 axle and add the FX4 package to get locking diffs and painted bumpers, upgraded shocks. Chevy has some catching up to do before i'd buy one again.

It will be interesting to see how this Ram 1500 diesel does, at least you can finally get a crew cab and 6.5' box, I wish the 5.5' would just go out of production, like just buy an SUV the 5.5 is too small

·
Registered
996 Posts
Interesting thing, I have an older 102x120" sled bed trailer that pulls like a tank. I learned after pulling it with my 79 olds cutlass once, summer transport, that the lower i got the tongue the easier it pulled. So i know have a 6" drop hitch instead of the 3 that i use to use, could probably go even lower say an 8" Must have something to do with the torsion axle or maybe it is tweaked a little bit... The old 8x8 steal trailer with leaf springs pulled like a dream.

·
RS
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the lower your trailer the less turbulence under it, a lot of tractor trailers now have fairing on the sides to reduce this turbulence.

a low 7x14 will tow a lot better than a 8.5 x14 with the wheels underneath because of wind drag on bottom and the sides.

·
life is short, live long
29,081 Posts
I'm also trying to figure this out. How long would u have to own a diesel to make it worth it?
If you tow alot....not very long

If you need the power of a diesel once in a while.....never.

Dont forget every mile you drive is more expensive. Fuel, oil changes, more fuel filters than gas, etc.

More initial cost to purchase but way more resale.

Engine will last forever but everything else will cost more to upkeep.

It really comes down to personal decision if you dont need diesel power every day.

Reactions: coastiepete

·
RS
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Take in mind deals like the Ford maintenance plan, its about $2000, same as any other truck and all your oil changes filters, brakes, even wipers are covered and free for 5 years or longer if you like. I have the plan on my F150 its awesome.

I'm thinking towing over 8000 pounds just get a diesel for the ease of towing and the reduced cost of trips, If I had a diesel I'd like to get an enclosed trailer which is then more money, but its a lot cleaner and can be used as storage, I'd probably use then use it for dirt bikes.

All i know is a few friends of mine that had diesels and went to gas 1/2 tons are now sorry and some of them lost a little to get back into a diesel

·
Registered
659 Posts
I tow a 18 ft enclosed in line trailer with a 2012 GMC duramax. Doesn't matter if the trailer is empty or 3 sleds.I get 11 to 12 MPG on interstate at 70 MPH. I get 13 to 14 same trailer secondary roads 50 to 60 MPH. Truck all by itself BEST 22MPG avg 16 to 17. All the power you will ever want loaded or empty. You do the math to determine if MPG and or ease of towing is worth it to you. I use mine for my business so I can talk myself into the extra costs, But they keep raising the cost of diesel, so every year i question myself is it worth it?

·
life is short, live long
29,081 Posts
Take in mind deals like the Ford maintenance plan, its about $2000, same as any other truck and all your oil changes filters, brakes, even wipers are covered and free for 5 years or longer if you like. I have the plan on my F150 its awesome.

I'm thinking towing over 8000 pounds just get a diesel for the ease of towing and the reduced cost of trips, If I had a diesel I'd like to get an enclosed trailer which is then more money, but its a lot cleaner and can be used as storage, I'd probably use then use it for dirt bikes.

All i know is a few friends of mine that had diesels and went to gas 1/2 tons are now sorry and some of them lost a little to get back into a diesel
I would only compare diesel pickups to 3/4 ton pickups. Half ton pickups are fine but in no way compare to diesel or gas powered 3/4 or 1 ton pickups.

·
RS
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tow a 18 ft enclosed in line trailer with a 2012 GMC duramax. Doesn't matter if the trailer is empty or 3 sleds.I get 11 to 12 MPG on interstate at 70 MPH. I get 13 to 14 same trailer secondary roads 50 to 60 MPH. Truck all by itself BEST 22MPG avg 16 to 17. All the power you will ever want loaded or empty. You do the math to determine if MPG and or ease of towing is worth it to you. I use mine for my business so I can talk myself into the extra costs, But they keep raising the cost of diesel, so every year i question myself is it worth it?
Is your truck stock? My cousin just had a dpf delete and tuner added to his 13 duramax we will see how easy it tows 3 sleds on an open trailer very soon.

Posted by my Galaxy tab 3 8"

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yea, my truck is stock. My enclosed snowmobile trailer is the lightest trailer i tow and the worse mileage. It does have the v nose but still like pulling a box. My open car trailer will get 15 to 16 MPG and weigh 7000 to 10000 pounds. Must be less wind drag. I do love towing with a diesel on the interstate just set it and forget it.

·
RS
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice, if you had a tuner and exhaust you'd probably get around 16-17mpg towing which is better than mine empty. and like 15 with the enclosed sled trailer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts