Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, probably a stupid question, I am in the process of running new wires for a trailer that has been rebuilt. All the wiring is done but no lights. I'm assuming that means I have a ground problem. I tested the plug coming out of the vehicle
and it has power. then I tested the wires behind the plug on the trailer side and there is power. but then I go back to the tail light and nothing. So how could I have power at the front of the trailer but not at the rear?

Any help?

thanks,
Brian

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
You have a broken wire ! take a ohm meter and continuity chk each wire.
your wires are color coded should be brown ,yellow/ green/white if a standard harness was used. When you say rebuilt was there welding done on this trailer if so they may have burned the wires
Rich

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All wiring was run after the rebuild. I just can't figure out how I could have broken a wire just from running it front to back. Also wouldn't some of them work if one of the wires broke. I wouldn't think that would take all of them out.

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
You have a 12v tester or meter ? chk your vehicle first for correct operation. marker lights ,stop lights ,turn signals.
Have you did that?
Are you using the standard 4 pin plug or a 7 pin plug ?
some trailers use the ball as ground,I prefer to run my own through the plug.
Without seeing your setup in person its hard to diagnos your problem other than you following each wire for wire to its location.
Also did you install new lights for tailights?
Try a seperate ground from truck to trailer.
Rich

·
Registered
123 Posts
When you perform your testing use the same ground wire (on the end of the tester) regardless of where you are probing. I would place it somewhere on the vehicle, so plan on using a long wire.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ah, trailer lights..... I just love owning 3 trailers..... seems none of them ever have ALL the lights working!!! It's always something.

Start with the truck to trailer ground... add a seperate one if you need to...

Make sure your trailer is wired correctly.... brown and green are for turns and breaks... yellow is tails..... white is constant ground.

Do the plug on the truck and trailer match.... green to green, brown to brown, etc....??

I don't rely on the trailer for grounds. I have run a seperate ground wire back to each tailight on all my trailers.... easier to diagnose if there is a failure also.

Just some thoughts.....

·
Registered
464 Posts
Try taking off the light units. Most ground to the frame where they are attached. Alot of times the ground is corrupted by salt/road grime. Clean off trailer body and bolts on lights w/wire brush and cross yer fingers. Also, have cold beer on hand!

·
Registered
429 Posts
If it is all lights it is the ground. Acommon mistake is to clip the tester to the bumper and check the truck plug for juice, this does not check ground through the plug. Start there and go backwards

·
Registered
268 Posts
When using your tester make sure It has a good ground.You can't test the lights If the tool doesn't work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts