Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum is a great resource for information. Hopefully it can also be a conduit for increased trail safety. I rode 180 miles on EUP trails today and nearly collided head on with three different sleds that were completely on my side of the trail in the corner. I don't fault someone for running hard when you can see well down the trail, but going into a corner with enough speed that you can not stay completely on the right side is negligent and risking other peoples lives and property. Please slow down enough for the corners to stay on the right and encourage your riding partners to do the same. The sport is still very enjoyable at those speeds.

·
Registered
159 Posts
dooman92 said:
This forum is a great resource for information. Hopefully it can also be a conduit for increased trail safety. I rode 180 miles on EUP trails today and nearly collided head on with three different sleds that were completely on my side of the trail in the corner. I don't fault someone for running hard when you can see well down the trail, but going into a corner with enough speed that you can not stay completely on the right side is negligent and risking other peoples lives and property. Please slow down enough for the corners to stay on the right and encourage your riding partners to do the same. The sport is still very enjoyable at those speeds.
[snapback]731824[/snapback]​
I totally agree, I ride in N. Minnesota almost everyother weekend. There is not a weekend that goes by that I do not see others totally on the wrong side, and then they look at me funny when I give them a wave of sorts....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Too many "wanna be racers" taking it to the trails. In 30+ years riding, can't tell you how many close calls because of idiots that have no consideration for others. There are times when you can ramp it up, and it should'nt be on the trail system.

My son ,who is nine, can't wait to get past his ZR 120 and move out on the trails with Dad. Unfortuanetly, moving him to the trail system when he graduates to a larger sled and becomes of age, scares the crap out of me knowing what's out there.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
QUOTE]My son ,who is nine, can't wait to get past his ZR 120 and move out on the trails with Dad. Unfortuanetly, moving him to the trail system when he graduates to a larger sled and becomes of age, scares the crap out of me knowing what's out there. [/QUOTE]

but I bet you have no problem putting him in the car and taking him on a trip???

probably 10000 times more dangerous that any sled trail with drunks and left side riders...

you got to have some perspective folks! in the hour I have been logged-on tonight 5.83 folks have died is car accidents... sad but true-

EVERYONE that has ever ridden a sled has over shot a corner at some point. 99% of the time there is no one there to hit or if someone is there it can be avoided, and in a very, very small %age you hit... folks like to blame it on racer wannabees... in my rides on the hill, racer wannabees are about 1% of all riders (if that)... its the rest of us that cause most of the problems...

ride safe, ride right, ride sober... it all helps but it is no guarantee!

·
Straight out a Compton!
4,065 Posts
I had a few "edit for bad language"holes on the hill yesterday that were hugging the inside corners, one scared the "edit for bad language" out of me where I slowed down for a few miles and just took it easy.

G

·
BlairM7c47c said:
I had a few "edit for bad language"holes on the hill yesterday that were hugging the inside corners, one scared the "edit for bad language" out of me where I slowed down for a few miles and just took it easy.
[snapback]731990[/snapback]​
That`s why I`m starting to enjoy going out at dark.At least you can get a heads up if you see a headlight coming around the bend!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ViperER said:
QUOTE]My son ,who is nine, can't wait to get past his ZR 120 and move out on the trails with Dad. Unfortuanetly, moving him to the trail system when he graduates to a larger sled and becomes of age, scares the crap out of me knowing what's out there.
but I bet you have no problem putting him in the car and taking him on a trip???

probably 10000 times more dangerous that any sled trail with drunks and left side riders...

you got to have some perspective folks! in the hour I have been logged-on tonight 5.83 folks have died is car accidents... sad but true-

EVERYONE that has ever ridden a sled has over shot a corner at some point. 99% of the time there is no one there to hit or if someone is there it can be avoided, and in a very, very small %age you hit... folks like to blame it on racer wannabees... in my rides on the hill, racer wannabees are about 1% of all riders (if that)... its the rest of us that cause most of the problems...

ride safe, ride right, ride sober... it all helps but it is no guarantee!
[snapback]731955[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Viper, you are wrong. I am starting to think like others that many of your replies are counter productive. Spudster has a very valid concern and I agree with him 100%. I have two sons and I will not encourage them to make snowmobiling their passion as it has been for me for many years.

First it is never acceptable to blow a corner. I thoroughly enjoy the sport, as do my riding partners, and while we ride hard when you can see we have not blown a corner in years.

Second, you are way off base on your assertion that riding in a car is more dangerous than riding a snowmobile. I have worked in law enforcement for more than 20 years and I am familiar with the number off fatalities in my area for both autos and snowmobilies. Since the snowmobile season has started we have had three fatalities on snowmobilies and no fatalities in autos. We have also had many many non fatal accidents involving snowmobilies. Mile for mile snowmobiling is much more dangerous than riding in a car and comments like yours lend to rationalizing the type of behavior that makes it that way.

·
Registered
371 Posts
dooman92 said:
[snapback]731824[/snapback]​
I hear ya. I have not really gone trail riding since 2000 when I sold my 1998 Mach Z but I have to say there are some crazy people out there.

I bought a brand new Mach 1 in early 90's and went to Tug Hill riding. I did not get 10 miles and some cheese head on there POLARIS came around the corner, lost control and slammed right in to the side of my sled. He was going WAY TOO fast for the corner and I think he thought he was and Indy driver, NOT!

I SUGGEST EVERYONE SLOW DOWN ESPECIALLY ON CORNERS.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Spuds, I agree. As much as I love snowmobiling I am not going to expose my kids to some of those dangerous "edit for bad language"s that think they own the trail.These people pose a significant risk to my kids that I cannot control .I don't want their innocence spoiled by someones ignorance. As a parent until they are of age it is up to me to protect them and get them to adulthood. What they do then is their choice. They will ride on private land with the proper equipment under "somewhat "controlled conditions. I feel the same way about streetbikes. Dirt only( and I will buy
) til they are 18. JMO

·
FAQ man
3,848 Posts
It is for the reasons stated above that I NEVER take my family out riding on a Saturday.

Sunday afternoon is the best time to ride the trails on a weekend, they may be a bit rough, but at least the idiots will be outta there.

I almost always lead. Family, friends, buddys, I'm just about always in the front. I have at least 20 close calls every year with someone on the wrong side, and in one point I will agree with Viper, it's not just the racers. It's amazing how many people lolly-gag along on the wrong side of the trail, then look at you funny when you flip them off. Friggin' idiots,,,,thanks, now I'm getting "edit for bad language".

Then you got the people who think it's ok to ride 2 or 3 wide on the trail. Geez!!

I heard a woman died a few weeks back on the tight-twisty trail between Aubrey Falls and Chapleau (Ontario) because she was ran into head-on by someone on the wrong side. I love to ride, but would rather go home alive.

You should see me on right hand turns around a tight corner, I pretty much run with my right ski off the trail, I have become so gun-shy.

Tired of this subject, it should be a no-brainer.

Jerry C.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
I agree about the night riding, at least you can see when the other guy is coming.

95% of our trails are only one sled-width over 95% of their length, there is no room for error if you meet up with an oncoming rider.

You'd think that this would make people cautious, but as soon as you come to a short wider section, that's where you run into trouble, for some reason some drivers feel they have to power around the corners in the wrong lane, or just ride a heck of a lot faster because the trail widened up a bit...

I had my first close call a few weeks ago when Jo and I were out for a daytime ride on a Saturday, and I came cautiously around a narrow turn only to see a red Poo barrelling down on me...I could see the guy grab for his brake and try to signal his buddies who were all zipping along behind him at the same time.
Luckily I had seen him first and already nosed over into the deep powder and I signalled to Jo behind me, and they all zoomed safely by.

The wide-eyed look through his visor and the sight of his sled sliding sideways toward me gave me a bit of a pucker....if it had been dark at least both of us would have had a chance to see the other guy's headlight. Also, if he and his buddies had been riding a little slower (and still cruising at a good clip) there wouldn't have been such a close call.

__.02.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
If these racer wanna-bes were smart they would know that you are supposed to go into a corner slow and hammer it pulling out of the turn. I like the night riding too, but the moose are hard to see then.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sleddude5, ditto on the getting "edit for bad language". I feel exactly the same way about taking my kids on the trails. As much as I hate the idea of enforced speed limits on the trails thats what will eventually happen. Maybe we can make a positive difference by getting more riders discussing it. Even though it should be a no brainer it is amazing the number of people that just wander all over the trail. Pass the word KEEP RIGHT...

·
FAQ man
3,848 Posts
When I build a snowmobile trail it will have a berm running through the center of it.

Or, on a small loop type trail, it will be ONE WAY.

Oh, one more thing, if we cannot govern ourselves on the trail then the GOVERNMENT will.

Jerry C.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I know just were you guys are comeing from I love to ride
but it scares the crap out off me to think about what could happen.
I also have ridden for over 30 years and know my daughter is behind
me on a 380 rev and man it makes you think about doing something
else. When you get to the dinner to eat and get gas and the guy that
just put you in the bank is at the bar woudn't you like to just drive him.

·
planes take off against the wind
15,035 Posts
1300 +/- miles in 5 days and the only incedents for me was 2 corners (left handers) where i over shot the corners and went 'off trail' with only myself to blame, no one else was involved and no one was affected (other than me). Not being on trail on Saterday probably had allot to do with it.
Sure its tough to stay right on some icy washed out corners - that is why you have controls at your disposal called throttle and brakes.

It you cannot see over or around it - ASSUME something is blocking the trail and be prepared to stop. Only you have the ability to control your sled.
Any time you cannot do the above - YOU ARE out of control. Icy corners be dang - you should expect that the next corner is washed out, that over the next crest there is a hole, that behind that curve is a dead sled in the trail.
Then and only then are you a safe rider and not a moving hazard and menace to yourself and everone else on the trail.

And this goes double for the owner of that sled we saw in the river outside of St. Ignace - if you were in control you would have made that curve and the bridge and not landed in the water.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts