Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am a little PO'D at all of the morons out there that have decided in their infinite wisdom that they know everything there is about riding a sled. I speak of the idiots (and you know who you are) that decide to stop their sled in the middle of a trail!! and get off and let it sit there so they can talk to their buddies. PULL OFF THE TRAIL, off to the side not in the frickin middle of the trail on a corner and 3 f'ing wide so no one else can get thru. How stupid are you to do something like that, do you want to die or do you want to kill some one? If so do it at home I dont want the mess on our (the people that obey the unwritten rules)trail systems. Another rant that I have is what happened to the hand signals as a common courtesy when going by others? I do it, all of my friends do it, why dont you? Please let me know how many more morons there are behind you that are playing catch up because you left them in the dust, I dont want to pile up my sled because you didnt tell me how many idiots are behind you. Im sorry this is so long but it really ticks me off when there people out there like this that dont care about anyone but themselves. Im sure they are the people that throw trash all over also.
If anyone has anything else to add go ahead.
ckoz

·
Registered
23 Posts
My biggest problem on the trail is when idiots just pick the fastest lane around a corner even if it means gettin off their side of the trail. By doing this you risk your life and others. Another is when people go to fast into a corner and cannot keep their sled on their own side, ive had to stop prior to a corner many times because some idiot doesnt slow down enough
. If i wouldnt have stopped... well lets just say it would have ruined both our trips. I have no problem with flyin through the trails, just be careful.

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
ckoz- I couldnt have said it better......I would bet my bottom dollar that the same guys who fail these SIMPLE rules of the trail are the SAME guys who cry like babies the second there new sled fouls a spark plug....just after they stop and make a post about how crappy there new sled is on DOO.talk.

I feel better now...BJ

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have been riding groomed trails for nearly 30 years. I lead our groups 95 percent of the time. I am always catching up to other riders/groups. I have followed many idiots through corners when they were well left of center in corners that you could not see oncoming traffic. I have come very close to head on collisions several times because someone was left of the center of the trail. In addition to not stopping in blind areas of the trail STAY ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE TRAIL AND TIGHT RIGHT IN THE CORNERS.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well im glad its not just me.
I just came home from the UP completely devastated from the lack of snow, 180mi in 2 days on the worst snirt ever, can you say new sliders.
ckoz

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sounds like you need to slow down. I agree that parking in the middle of the trail is not a wise idea and hand signals are a courtesy. However, what if those three sleds were a groomer, a deer, a child, an accident, a broken sled that others are trying to remove from the trail? If you can not see what is coming up within a safe stopping distance, you should probably slow down.

·
Registered
483 Posts
ckoz71 holly sh$t you must have been in old forge 3 weeks ago with me, you left out the morons that park 4 abreast in the middle of the trail and walk away from there sleds to read the trail map and then look at you like you are an idiot
how in the world can anyone be that stupid and these are not young kids all darn weekend I lost count of how many times I came around a corner to see sleds blocking the trail I even had one a$$ want to start a fight with me becuase I was shaking my head at them and he took offense I guess I must look a lot smaller than my 235lbs in my gear but he changed his mind really quick when I picked up his sled and tossed it out of the way , we all have done some bonner stunts by accident but come on people pull over you are not the only ones in the world.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sledbob22 said:
Sounds like you need to slow down. I agree that parking in the middle of the trail is not a wise idea and hand signals are a courtesy. However, what if those three sleds were a groomer, a deer, a child, an accident, a broken sled that others are trying to remove from the trail? If you can not see what is coming up within a safe stopping distance, you should probably slow down.
[snapback]301655[/snapback]​
sledbob come on dont defend idiots, if there were a problem then i would be the first to help out, but when group after group of people do it why should i be nice. What if a groomer was coming down the trail would these idiots leave their sleds in the middle of the trail, i dont think they would, so why should they ever? If you were riding this wkend in the up you would know that it was a physical impossibility to ride at any consistant speed for any length of time, so speed was not the issue.
ckoz

·
Registered
326 Posts
some people just do not think about any one except #1 it is all about me! They could care less if they park in a corner or blind spot on the trails. Better not run into them because they will say it was all your fault! I see them every time I ride and they scare the crap out of me! What is even more frightening to me is these same dipsh%ts had to drive a car with a trailer to go sleding! Riding a sled is not that differnt then driving a car. Stay in your own lane! pull off the trial or road in a safe place where people can see you! and hope no one runs you over while your standing there!

Nature,s natural selection process is not working any more! The Idoits are living long enough to reproduce !

·
Registered
674 Posts
I by no means would ever defend poor decisions to stop on a blind corner, stop in the middle of the trail, riding on the wrong side of the trail, etc. I believe the original post was intended to complain about behaviour like that. However the post about slowing down a bit has merit. I broke down on a narrow trail in a blind corner with nowhere to put my sled (solid trees). Before my riding partner could run down the trail and signal people about the situation, here comes Joe throttle jockey. He ended up stuffing it in the trees, and got his buddies size 12 shoved up his a$$ for riding like an idiot. I apologized to the guy, but I was not being stupid. I cleared off the trail as fast as I could, but not fast enough for a potential deadly outcome. Not all of the idiots are taking breaks in the middle of the trail, some are riding way beyond their ability. Not bashing this post or any of the replies, just asking for my fellow riders to be careful and thoughtful. Remember kindness is not a sign of weakness. Think snow.

·
Registered
519 Posts
cko71,

I'm not defending them, I agree that it is not wise to park in the middle of the trail. However, as experienced riders, we all know that beginners and idiots do park in the middle of the trail and other inconvenient places, groomers, deer, and other obstacles exist and we should be expecting them and be prepared to deal with them at all times.

·
Registered
124 Posts
These are great talking points on trail manners.

1) I do a lot of leading on trail rides.I'm not shocked anymore when I meet an oncoming sled on my side of the turn. I call them "Team Arctic Cat"(no disrespect to cat owners-that just happens to be the typical group where we ride). They look at you like "Why do you have to be there"?

2) The use of handsignals are used by about 80% of riders. I usually find inexperienced riders don't signal because they are too focused on passing oncoming sleds safely.Then there's "Team Arctic Cat" , need I say anymore? Seems I can look at the sleds and outfits and pretty much guess who will signal.

3) I've also done some grooming. It really annoys me when a trail is just groomed and somebody needs to make our local club trails a snocross track. They power out of the corners and tear everything up. They are usually guys who don't belong to the club or use the trails all week.

4) Along with this mentality is the use of piped sleds. Nobody needs a piped sled on club trails. When are we going to say no to pipes? They are the most cited reason why trails are being shut down. Our sport needs to get serious about eliminating pipes!!!!

Anybody have similiar experiences?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I agree with the original post, STAY RIGHT! , Stay in your lane even in the corners, expecially on the 90 deg blind corners. I was hit 2 years ago by a Deputy sherif from Indiana. He and his buddies blew a 90 deg corner and slammed into me, 2300 dollars damage, Fortunaltely there were no physical injuries.
BE Careful and courteous.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I knicked a ski with a guy on a artic crap in the UP this weekend coming into paradise.. I was on the far far right of a really beat up trail.. It also so happens that the only place there was snow was on my side.. I didn't know that gives the artic cat rider the right to ride on my side of the trail but aparently it does. .and it didn't stop his 3 buddies from doing the same thing.. they didn't even slow down to apologize.. second was riding from Newberry to trout lake there was a group of 10-15 riders right in the middle of the trail stopped.. Sorry I mis-spoke.. They where taking up the whole trail.. and it gets better.. It was a 90degree turn.. I stopped and they where reading the trail map and smoking.. I ended up having to ride thru the woods a little to get around.. What jack arses are on the trails nowadays..

·
Registered
654 Posts
Great thread! I was by paradise in the up a couple weeks ago and the "team racers" were macking me real scared to lead my group. Those guys need to find a track and run it so they can make a point!! I will only ride fast at night because I can then see headlights long before I get to them! This probably is still risky but I usually won't ride faster than my headlights.....

keep it safe, keep

·
Registered
210 Posts
10 Ferds said:
2) The use of handsignals are used by about 80% of riders. I usually find inexperienced riders don't signal because they are too focused on passing oncoming sleds safely.Then there's "Team Arctic Cat" , need I say anymore? Seems I can look at the sleds and outfits and pretty much guess who will signal.

[snapback]302240[/snapback]​
You see 80% of riders using hand signals??? I could only wish! Around here, it's less than 5% I swear!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
SHARPMACHINE said:
Great thread! I was by paradise in the up a couple weeks ago and the "team racers" were macking me real scared to lead my group. Those guys need to find a track and run it so they can make a point!! I will only ride fast at night because I can then see headlights long before I get to them! This probably is still risky but I usually won't ride faster than my headlights.....

keep it safe, keep

[snapback]302269[/snapback]​
I gets real scary when you run into 'Team Acrtic Cat" and you get handsignals of multiple oncoming sleds from the leader. Only problem is that there's big gaps between oncoming sleds. That means only one thing! The guys behind are really booking and they don't even know we're coming. Every turn is scary until they all pass!!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I used to be a strong supporter of the hand signal. However, in the last year or so, I have been narrowly missed by countless sled coming at me trying to signal. I suppose, signaling has its place, but not when the trails are as crowded, as they were this last weekend. I can count at least 5 times, when you see the last guy in a group give you the (last guy) fist. when there is another guy , or group behind them. Or worse yet, a whole group of indy trail's and xlt's bumper to bumper all giving there numbered hand signals. What is the point of this, if you see the leader, you see the whole group. Nothing is scarrier to me then comming up on a group of 20 sleds moving at about 40 mph, at night , all with one hand on the bars weaving back and forths as there skis follow other tracks. Like I mentioned , I used to support the hand signal, but there are many places, it is more dangerous then not signaling. I for one, ride like there will be someone comming around every corner. If you feel more comfortable signaling, it is up to you, but I dont anymore, and I wont be looking at your hand, i will be concentrating on avoiding you. Sorry about the soapbox.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
waxman said:
I used to be a strong supporter of the hand signal. However, in the last year or so, I have been narrowly missed by countless sled coming at me trying to signal. I suppose, signaling has its place, but not when the trails are as crowded, as they were this last weekend. I can count at least 5 times, when you see the last guy in a group give you the (last guy) fist. when there is another guy , or group behind them. Or worse yet, a whole group of indy trail's and xlt's bumper to bumper all giving there numbered hand signals. What is the point of this, if you see the leader, you see the whole group. Nothing is scarrier to me then comming up on a group of 20 sleds moving at about 40 mph, at night , all with one hand on the bars weaving back and forths as there skis follow other tracks. Like I mentioned , I used to support the hand signal, but there are many places, it is more dangerous then not signaling. I for one, ride like there will be someone comming around every corner. If you feel more comfortable signaling, it is up to you, but I dont anymore, and I wont be looking at your hand, i will be concentrating on avoiding you. Sorry about the soapbox.
[snapback]302317[/snapback]​
dude come on its a courtesy to give hand signals, and if you cant ride with 1 hand then you are going to fast when you are passing someone, i suppose you are 1 of those guys that like to grab a handful as you go by a group and blow snow all over them, dont be a jerk and "edit for bad language" people off. If you want to ride hard thats cool at least you will know how many are behind me. when you come around that corner, but i suppose you can tell your buddies wife and kids and mine to for that matter that you were to busy or focused to give a hand signal that could have saved ourlives.
ckoz

1 - 20 of 27 Posts