Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a group of 10 guys who are looking to ride. We have two trips booked over Feb. 7-feb. 12 (next week). The first trip we have booked is the western portion of the superior snow challenge loop starting in Marathon going to Nipigon then to long lac then back to Marathon, the back-up trip we booked is the western UP from Munising to Houghton to Hurley for Two nights then back to Munising. We all love to ride the Canadian Trails, but this year has not been the best for conditions anywhere to date. The group seems to be split btw driving the extra 7-10 hours to Marathon and spending the exta cash on fuel and trail permits Vs. driving to Munising and spending an extra day on the trails with the time and money we would save by staying in the UP. To top it all off we haven't heard for sure weather or not the entire trail system in the Canadian loop is even open. (we can't seem to get any relyable info on the area, perticularly Marathon to Nipigon along the northern edge of lake superior. We are just looking for some advise and some place to get good info on the areas to make a good decision as to where we will find the better of the two places riding conditions. Any help??

·
Registered
75 Posts
PeterGibbons said:
I am doing that same loop at the same time (coincidence?)

Anybody ride that loop this year yet? And for purely scientific reason, are there any nudy bars on this loop?
[snapback]689895[/snapback]​
As far as trail conditions I would do a east loop out of Wawa we been up there 3 times already trails are perfect in Wawa.Go towards Timmins,Cochrane,Back west toward Hearst then sout back toward Wawa @ 900 miles I think youll find the trails are better in that direction becouse of the lack of snow. Check out this web site.Mo is preety good about conditions http://www.nlmotel.com/snow4.htm

·
Registered
56 Posts
Canadian Rider said:
PeterGibbons said:

Anybody ride that loop this year yet? And for purely scientific reason, are there any nudy bars on this loop?
As far as trail conditions I would do a east loop out of Wawa we been up there 3 times already trails are perfect in Wawa.Go towards Timmins,Cochrane,Back west toward Hearst then sout back toward Wawa @ 900 miles I think youll find the trails are better in that direction becouse of the lack of snow. Check out this web site.Mo is preety good about conditions http://www.nlmotel.com/snow4.htm

[snapback]691146[/snapback]​
Have you heard any reports of the police or OPP handing out speeding tickets? I read that on another posting, in the North Bay Area. I have two different groups that are interested in riding both Western Upper Michigan or the Wawa, Canada areas as well. I also have a hard time getting acurate snow/weather conditions in Canada.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Canadian Rider said:
PeterGibbons said:

[snapback]691146[/snapback]​

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks pretty nice....I haven't heard very much good about the west loop of superior so far this year, so the east side might just work well for our group. we stayed w/ MO two years ago and did the eastern loop. nlmotel.com is a great place to stay, too bad she isn't open this season we'd stay there again. Thanks for the info! hopefully we can get a decission made here real soon, we are supposed to leave next tues.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We got ot figured out! Thanks every one for the help we scraped all the other plans and are now heading to the eastern loop/side of Wawa. Sounds like they have the best conditions around right now, planning on 800-900 miles!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Matt Wells said:
We got ot figured out! Thanks every one for the help we scraped all the other plans and are now heading to the eastern loop/side of Wawa. Sounds like they have the best conditions around right now, planning on 800-900 miles!
[snapback]696974[/snapback]​
You wont be disapointed in the trip to Wawa club trails 8 and 9 are a must if you like tight and twiste!The lake off of trail 14 is not froze yet!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Canadian Rider said:
Matt Wells said:
[snapback]696974[/snapback]​
You wont be disapointed in the trip to Wawa club trails 8 and 9 are a must if you like tight and twiste!The lake off of trail 14 is not froze yet!!!

[snapback]697012[/snapback]​
If you go to halfway Haven Look for simpson road on your left its about 40 miles out, it goes back in the bush a ways We saw 5 moose in there last time we where up.The picture shows us on the road and power line keep to the left is where we seen the moose!!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.