Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please tell me what option you think would be best for me and my 98 Mach 1. Aggressive ditch and trail riding with lake crossings/racing to get to the next trail.

1. 1 1/4 Ripsaw with or w/out 96 down the middle

2. 1 1/2 Ripsaw

3. 1 inch HackSaw with 144 studs

feel free to offer other suggestions as well as share what you're using on your Mach 1/Mach Z

Thanks!

·
In Search Of PAH!
1,853 Posts
1. Not possible to stud a 1.25"er on a CKIII. Unless you get smaller drivers, roll the chaincase, or install a ZX chaincase. Or keep your track VERY tight.

2. Would be a good option.

3. Also a good option.

Which one you choose would depend on how much you value traction on ICE. The 1.25 or 1.5" tracks w/out studs will be the best when there's a decent amount of snow, or hardpacked trails.

I run a Camoplast 9818 1.25" track on my sled. I am very happy with it, unless I am riding on ICY trails. Then I wish I had my studded track back.

If I were to do it all over again, I would opt for the ICE Claw or ICE Ripper track.

·
In Search Of PAH!
1,853 Posts
Both made by Camoplast. Ripsaw + Lug Studs = Ice Ripper. 9854 Finger track + Lug studs = Ice Claw.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
97mach1 said:
Both made by Camoplast. Ripsaw + Lug Studs = Ice Ripper. 9854 Finger track + Lug studs = Ice Claw.
[snapback]708905[/snapback]​
only 1 of them comes in and 1 1/4 right? the Ice Ripper? that's the one i might get.

·
In Search Of PAH!
1,853 Posts
Yes. Ice Claw = 1". Ice Ripper = 1.25".

Also, the traction you get from one of those tracks is still not as good as a regular track with studs. It's about halfway between. You aren't going to be winning any ice races with those tracks. You'll get much better hookup with a 1" track w/ traditional studs.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
97mach1 said:
Yes. Ice Claw = 1". Ice Ripper = 1.25".

Also, the traction you get from one of those tracks is still not as good as a regular track with studs. It's about halfway between. You aren't going to be winning any ice races with those tracks. You'll get much better hookup with a 1" track w/ traditional studs.
[snapback]709213[/snapback]​
woody's couldnt recommend anything for a 1" track due to the limited clearance under the tunnel, what are people running for stud size for 98 Mach 1/Z? i would like the 1" hacksaw with 144 or 196 studs; what height is safe?

·
In Search Of PAH!
1,853 Posts
I have used 1.075" long Woody's studs on a 1" track with excellent results. Some say 1.175" will work also.

Just remember woody's measures their studs differently than most other companies. A 1.075" long stud on a 1" track sticks out about 1/4" above the lugs.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
97mach1 said:
I have used 1.075" long Woody's studs on a 1" track with excellent results. Some say 1.175" will work also.

Just remember woody's measures their studs differently than most other companies. A 1.075" long stud on a 1" track sticks out about 1/4" above the lugs.
[snapback]710062[/snapback]​
Would 144 1.075 studs on a 1" track be enough traction for the power of the Mach 1? I've always ridden paddle tracks so this will be my first studded track, what do i need for tunnel protectors/bulkhead protectors or whatever. My idea is to get the pre-drilled for 144 1" hacksaw from tracks usa and at the same time order the studs with colored backers from woodys/stud boy whoever and stud the new track while it's off the sled, then install. I just want to do it right. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i put a 1.00 camoplast new take off, off of a a/c on my mach 1 and i couldnt beleive it i think it gets better traction than the .75 with 144 studs that was on it.
i was running through the powder with my friends that have 1.75's the thing i like is it dosent seem to dig ruts to get stuck in like the bigger tracks.
just my oppinion i guess

·
Registered
15 Posts
Goodnbuzzd said:
i put a 1.00 camoplast new take off, off of a a/c on my mach 1 and i couldnt beleive it i think it gets better traction than the .75 with 144 studs that was on it.
i was running through the powder with my friends that have 1.75's the thing i like is it dosent seem to dig ruts to get stuck in like the bigger tracks.
just my oppinion i guess
[snapback]710363[/snapback]​
A have a new comoplast 1 inch ripsaw on my 1999 mach z 800 and its not enough.Herm

·
Registered
75 Posts
Goodnbuzzd said:
just my oppinion i guess
[snapback]710363[/snapback]​
A have a new comoplast 1 inch ripsaw on my 1999 mach z 800 and its not enough.Herm
[snapback]710381[/snapback]​
Lol i dunno man i know i am happy with mine
i guess it must be setup and maybe a lil preference or how happy a person is with the way it hooks up\

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I have the 1 1/4 ripsaw on my 670 H.O. and it hooks up well. I may try the 1 1/2 ripsaw on my Mach 1

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Based on how happy I am with the ripsaw on my 670 H.O. I changed my mind and made a final decision, im going with the 1 1/4 Ice Ripper. TracksUSA shipped to my door $469 brand new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2000 MachZ and i have a stock .880 track with 144 .920 woodys and all i do out of the hole is dig a trench keep us posted to what you try and what works don't try what i did you would not be happy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts