Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I'd say you have years left on that track. The picks look done however.

Reactions: tdelam

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Track looks good from the pics. Rips, tears or delamination typically mean the end is near. Of course, you can always change it now if you really want to and, assuming it is still serviceable, resell that track for $50-100.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After posting this, I went to check even more and I noticed a few lugs missing and holes from studs falling out in the middle and on the edges. Hmmmmmmmmm what to do.

·
Registered
635 Posts
the studs that pull out on the outer edges are the ones that'll cause issues...at least for me it did.

I had one pull out on the outer edge...and a few miles later, the track was shredding itself where it pulled out....it got to the point where I was cruising at 60-70mph, and I could feel the rear wheel passing the shredded area. Not too confident inspiring when you're at 80+mph.

·
Sled nut
2,912 Posts
Put 1.5 intense on my summit x . It's hooks so well it's unreal . On a plowed road it bits

Sent from my HTC One S

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put an Ice Attack 1.25 on mine...it hooks up very well.
Good to know! Mine has studs, it came with them, I don't really like studs, I went on a 130km trip yesterday and disliked the corners with studs.

Yeah if you ride wear you need studs then that might be a good choice.
Yep, not many have studs around here, never had them either until I got this sled, I think the ice ripper will be a happy-medium! I hear good things!

·
Registered
635 Posts
tdelam, on 18 Jan 2016 - 3:30 PM, said:

Good to know! Mine has studs, it came with them, I don't really like studs, I went on a 130km trip yesterday and disliked the corners with studs.

Yep, not many have studs around here, never had them either until I got this sled, I think the ice ripper will be a happy-medium! I hear good things!
I was amazed at how much the Ice Attack hooked up over my stock track that had 144 picks in it....all it wants to do is wheelie now.

these other guys (members) probably can answer this better than I can...but I was originally thinkin of going with a 1.5 track...but I was told by friends and my local dealer, that it would be cutting it too close to the heat exchangers...so I opted for the 1.25....but again...it hooks up incredibly.

·
Registered
696 Posts
the studs that pull out on the outer edges are the ones that'll cause issues...at least for me it did.

I had one pull out on the outer edge...and a few miles later, the track was shredding itself where it pulled out....it got to the point where I was cruising at 60-70mph, and I could feel the rear wheel passing the shredded area. Not too confident inspiring when you're at 80+mph.
Exactly my worry, I was going 95 mph and pulled off, didn't trust the track. There was also quite a bit of vibrating under too, I think it has a lot do with the outter studs on the track and the bogeys wheels going over them, and, the bogeys hitting some holes from where studs used to be.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was amazed at how much the Ice Attack hooked up over my stock track that had 144 picks in it....all it wants to do is wheelie now.

these other guys probably can answer this better than I can...but I was originally thinkin of going with a 1.5 track...but I was told by friends and my local dealer, that it would be cutting it too close to the heat exchangers...so I opted for the 1.25....but again...it hooks up incredibly.
I was told the same thing, I have the same model as yours except mines a 700 and he said 1.25" would be perfect.

·
Registered
118 Posts
when the track starts to delaminate I would say look to replace it. Cracking and flaking and cords starting to become exposed generally are telling you the end is near. Studs pulling through or other means of mechanical damage will cause it to be done sooner than just wearing out. The sun or high heat in the summer will degrade the rubber too.

photo 1_6.jpg

photo 2-2.jpg

This was the damage caused by a hidden object on my brand new 151" Challenger. First ride, I was bummed and pissed all at the same time. I cleaned up the lugs so there was nothing else to tear on and filled it all in with E6000. That was 3 years ago and it's still holding. I've seen guys glue delaminated track back together with that stuff and still ride it. So far its worked great for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
cool...thanks for sharing that...I'd love to see how a 1.5 hooks up!.

·
True happiness is never trying a sled better than
14,562 Posts
Offer a box of beer if you can watch him change it.Gotta learn to do that stuff and spend money on parts,not labour.Nice choice on tracks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts