Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Track tension

388 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Bub 
#1 ·
Put an 1 1/4 inch paddle track on my 05 600 sdi x and I noticed that I lost about 10 mph on the hard pack. Also noticed that my sliders were heating up preety bad. I am wondering if guys changed any gearing in there sled and if so by how many teeth? Right now I have the stock gearing in it(22-43) and am considering putting in a 21 tooth gear in it. But the trouble still remains with the sliders. I have 96 picks in it and I don't want to run it to lose in fear of wreaking the front heat exchanger. Any Ideas

#5 ·
skid600 said:
Put an 1 1/4 inch paddle track on my 05 600 sdi x and I noticed that I lost about 10 mph on the hard pack. Also noticed that my sliders were heating up preety bad. I am wondering if guys changed any gearing in there sled and if so by how many teeth? Right now I have the stock gearing in it(22-43) and am considering putting in a 21 tooth gear in it. But the trouble still remains with the sliders. I have 96 picks in it and I don't want to run it to lose in fear of wreaking the front heat exchanger. Any Ideas
[snapback]713052[/snapback]​
The looser the better so, loosen it a little at a time until it starts to ratchet on the sprockets then tighten slightly to stop the ratcheting.

#7 ·
skid600 said:
2 fingers width way? Does any one think this will help with the sliders and will the front heat exchager be ok?
[snapback]713068[/snapback]​
Agree, 2 fingers with 15-20 pounds of pull down pressure. Make sure you have tunnel protectors if you are running studs. I have your same sled and same track. I geared my sled down to a 21 top gear and love it.
-Good luck

#9 ·
skid600 said:
Thnaks! How fast are you getting on the hard pack with the different gearing?
[snapback]713177[/snapback]​
It accelerated very nicely. I haven't timed it or anything like that but she moves!!!

#11 ·
Offshore24 said:
If you drop your gearing down, aren't you going to pull harder and go slower? Top end wise that is.
[snapback]713316[/snapback]​
Most sleds from the factory are geared too tall and will not shift out. By gearing down you pull harder, clutches shift out and may gain top end. I gained speed on my 04 800HO Renagade by gearing down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.