Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't own one of those fancy tools it says to use in the owners manual so how should the track sit to be in the ball park for the right tension. Should it have a little sag or be just tight. If there is suppose to be sag about how far down is it suppose to be from the rail?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,822 Posts
do-the-doo said:
I don't own one of those fancy tools it says to use in the owners manual so how should the track sit to be in the ball park for the right tension. Should it have a little sag or be just tight. If there is suppose to be sag about how far down is it suppose to be from the rail?
[snapback]690981[/snapback]​
if you have a 10# or 2- 5# weights from a weight lifting set or from anything set the weights it the middle of the track and measure it! when have done this a few times you can adjust by feel and eyeball!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
I use the two finger rule. You should be able to fit two digits vertically in comfortably between the slider and the track.

I added the slider and the track to the above sentence so you didn't think I was talking about something else *rhymes with bagina*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
macker said:
Some of the tuners on here recomend as loose as possible without racheting. This would be looser than the factory recomends. Any tighter than needed is just robbing power thru increased drag.
[snapback]692235[/snapback]​
What exactly does ratcheting mean? What happens when ratcheting happens?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
ratchiting is when your track is slipping on the sprockets that turn it cause its too loose. when racheting happens you get no power to the ground. you will also get more ratcheting the higher the speed you are going as your track expands like a drag racing tire.

do-the-doo said:
macker said:
Some of the tuners on here recomend as loose as possible without racheting. This would be looser than the factory recomends. Any tighter than needed is just robbing power thru increased drag.
[snapback]692235[/snapback]​
What exactly does ratcheting mean? What happens when ratcheting happens?
[snapback]693074[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
BigReving said:
I use the two finger rule. You should be able to fit two digits vertically in comfortably between the slider and the track.

I added the slider and the track to the above sentence so you didn't think I was talking about something else *rhymes with bagina*
[snapback]692782[/snapback]​
Bagina??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
MilleniumMan said:
ratchiting is when your track is slipping on the sprockets that turn it cause its too loose. when racheting happens you get no power to the ground. you will also get more ratcheting the higher the speed you are going as your track expands like a drag racing tire.

do-the-doo said:
macker said:
Some of the tuners on here recomend as loose as possible without racheting. This would be looser than the factory recomends. Any tighter than needed is just robbing power thru increased drag.
[snapback]692235[/snapback]​
What exactly does ratcheting mean? What happens when ratcheting happens?
[snapback]693074[/snapback]​
[snapback]693108[/snapback]​
So then you would stop and snug the track up a little, ride some more and see if the noise/feeling of the racheting is gone. If not, repeat.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top