Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to measure track tension, without the Ski Doo special tensiometer. What do you use to put16 lbs pressure on the track?

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
73,386 Posts
How to measure track tension, without the Ski Doo special tensiometer. What do you use to put16 lbs pressure on the track?
A nail and a fish scale....

Put the nail across a window... hook the fish scale hook on the nail and pull down...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I use a digital fish scale and a large socket that measures about 1.5"/38mm in height. I guess at rough tension and align first and then set proper tension. Hook the fish scale through a window at just past 1/2 track length and use the socket for proper amount of sag. Works every time. Better to be too loose than too tight.

·
Registered
666 Posts
This year I decided to treat myself and purchased the BRP track tensionmeter! Even at a discount from my dealer, I was disappointed in it for the price!

FYI, even if you order this from BRP, you end up with a Gates 30 Lb belt tension gauge. It comes in an actual Gates box, with Gates instructions, etc. No BRP rebranding at all. It has clear decals to indicate the weight and depth marks.

If you want one of these, do yourself a favor and just buy the Gates version, perhaps online or via Amazon. I see woody's sells one also, and people complain about the clear stick on graduations on it! It's the same for the BRP (Gates) unit! :(

I'm sure once I use it, I'll get a feel for how tight the track should be, and never need it again, but as others have said, if you have a fish scale, or use a weight method, you can save some bucks!

Or local friends can borrow my gauge!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Good point. Is there a rule of thumb for studded tracks that is used?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Again, dont over think it... IMO the skidoo spec for "non-studded" is almost perfect for a studded track and too tight for non-studded. With the scale, I set to the loosest skidoo spec, then I align the track by loosening a side (never going tighter to align).

Everyone here is going to have their own opinion as to the best way to tension a track is... have fun sifting through the "a word that will get blocked by the filter if I type it".

·
Registered
559 Posts
The manual is definitely on the tight side. I ran spec tension in very good snow conditions. Wore a strange wave pattern on one side only. All my years of sledding always went minimum of 7000kms before needing slider replacement. Only went 2000kms on first set. Going slightly looser on new set.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts