Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TriCountyTrail
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a 16" x 137" x 1.25" track on my 2009 GTX 1200.
The track seem to be slightly rubbing on the tunnel, I can feel the added resistance while the sled in on the sled lift and by rotating the secondary by hand.
I could probably trim the track and burn back a few of the track fibers on the edges.
Any Thought?
The tension is correct and the alightment is correct.

·
boost junkie
10,683 Posts
there is lots of room for the stock track

sounds like you got a bad wheel bearing

drop the suspension and look up there

just pull out the back 2 Allen bolts

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
"The track SEEMS to be rubbing?"

You should be able to easily see this if it is true. Look under there with flashlight while turning the track by hand. Where can you see that it is specifically rubbing? Or are you only guessing that is is rubbing because you feel more resistance than you think you should?

Keep in mind that a new track that has just been taken out of the box will not go round in a circle very cleanly or evenly...it takes quite a long time for the rubber to relax and come out of it's tightly packed/wrapped/boxed circumstance...

·
TriCountyTrail
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"The track SEEMS to be rubbing?"

You should be able to easily see this if it is true. Look under there with flashlight while turning the track by hand. Where can you see that it is specifically rubbing? Or are you only guessing that is is rubbing because you feel more resistance than you think you should?

Keep in mind that a new track that has just been taken out of the box will not go round in a circle very cleanly or evenly...it takes quite a long time for the rubber to relax and come out of it's tightly packed/wrapped/boxed circumstance...
I will check into it more Ill double check maybe ther is a long rivet or something, and the track was all twisted up for a while. The bearings are all fine. I know on me gtx the is a plastic guide on the inside of the track on the left side. mounted on the tunnel.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Forgive my confusion but.......Right from the ski doo website

Track nominal width
15 in / 381 mm
Track nominal length
137 in / 3486 mm
Track profile height
1 in / 25.4 mm

A 16" track???????

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
Many XR and XP Renegades and mountain sleds have 16" tracks straight from the factory. Even for those machines that are factory equipped with 15", a 16" will bolt right in with no mods, and no interference. (Though I am not familiary with this "plastic guide" on the GTX that he refers to?)

Byt many of us run 16 inchers in place of stock 15" tracks, especially when it is time to replace/upgrade. Adds flotation. That's what Tri-county is doing with his 2-up.

·
TriCountyTrail
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many XR and XP Renegades and mountain sleds have 16" tracks straight from the factory. Even for those machines that are factory equipped with 15", a 16" will bolt right in with no mods, and no interference. (Though I am not familiary with this "plastic guide" on the GTX that he refers to?)

Byt many of us run 16 inchers in place of stock 15" tracks, especially when it is time to replace/upgrade. Adds flotation. That's what Tri-county is doing with his 2-up.
X2
I believe the guide is to protect the air line on the air adjustamle shock.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Ya 16" will fit buddy has one on a 98 s chassis. if it fits that it will fit a xr chassis lol.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just installed a 16" x 137" x 1.25" track on my 2009 GTX 1200.
The track seem to be slightly rubbing on the tunnel, I can feel the added resistance while the sled in on the sled lift and by rotating the secondary by hand.
I could probably trim the track and burn back a few of the track fibers on the edges.
Any Thought?
The tension is correct and the alightment is correct.
My 09 Gade did the same thing when I bought it new.
Alignment has to be perfect as their is no room for error.
I was still getting freying on the sides of the track.
There were two rivets on the main upper idlers bracket that protrude into the tunnel area too far so I cut them off with a hacksaw blade.
And then I unbolted the upper idlers and inserted 2 washers inside the tunnel. I did this on both sides.
This is just forcing the tunnel to be slightly wider at this point.
Never had any troubles since.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's a new stiff track, it could also be the track tension is too tight. Did you have large tunnel protectors installed?

·
Registered
877 Posts
my Renegade also did this when it was new. As stated, alignment has to be perfect or it's annoying as hell.

When adjusting the track, spin it up pretty good and feel the rear bumper for vibration. Adjust in both directions until you get vibration and then put it in the middle.

·
Registered
877 Posts
my Renegade also did this when it was new. As stated, alignment has to be perfect or it's annoying as hell.

When adjusting the track, spin it up pretty good and feel the rear bumper for vibration. Adjust in both directions until you get vibration and then put it in the middle.

·
Registered
877 Posts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts