Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I've got a 1.5 inch track and am looking for more traction. With my 1200 the track spins too much. I have an old track of the same width that's in pretty good shape. I wanted to cut off the paddles on the old track and somehow glue or bond them to the track on my sled. I won't have to remove the track just raise the end and do one at a time.... I have used some really strong glues, I've used windshield urethane and other bonding glues and they are really strong. I was thinking that a hand torch might work? Like to melt it a little then stick on the extension.....

I know it sounds crazy but I don't have a lot of money to spend on a new track and trying to figure out a way to get more traction.....

Has anyone done this?

·
2nd Whore in command
102,221 Posts
Hmmm, this sound interesting. I cant see it working or holding up very long but you wont know unless you try I guess.

Im surprised the 1.5" is spinning so much?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yeah I really don't see the lugs staying on. You say you're strapped for cash, but you should be able to find a used track for a decent price then sell your old one.

But by all means give it a shot and let us know how it goes, I imagine you'll ruin your current track and but out even more money than if you just found a used 1.75 to start.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You will most likely throw the balance of the track off to the point the vibrations will be very bad. Especially if they start coming off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if I can get the extension to stay on ( was actually thinking of using an air stapler) then I might have a balance problem... What do you think if I did every other paddle and put the extension on that, that might lessen the balancing issue but still get me some more traction?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd bet if it could be done, somebody would be selling a kit to do it, or at the very least have a Youtube video how to do it. I suspect because most tracks use composite materials, specifically Kevlar these days, you can't just go melting and molding them. You cannot simply melt and heal a rubber/kevlar composite that was probably created at a precise temperature followed by a precise curing process.

Science_zps3en2ptba.jpg

You are looking at a couple problems, all stated above. You will likely wreck your track, wreck the other track (who cares about that ) and in the end have such an out of balance track you may have issues using it at all, to say nothing of the safety aspect. I think it's a great thought, but there's no way.

What will happen? "UDLOSE". :laugh_old:

·
Registered
737 Posts
If your 1200 won't hook up buy new/ bigger torsion springs. You'll be amazed at what that does for traction.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
What a great idea, glueing or stapling paddles to a track. I don't see why that wouldn't work great. Have you thought about what length of studs you're gonna use too? Might I suggest you try about 196 stove bolts 1/4 inch longer than your paddles you could even paint the bolts to give it a one of a kind look. Once you get that track padddled and studded up your gonna need to get some more aggressive carbides on your skis, you should be able to pick up some angle iron fairly cheap.

·
Registered
428 Posts
This is an expensive sport, you try to cheapen it and you spend much more money and more of your time fixing it again. I've seen it first hand many of times.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I thought it was a good idea and have decided against stapling. I have a power stapler and think it might work but thinking that the extensions if they came off might hit someone behind me? If they had staples in them it might be a pretty had idea.....when you don't have the money for a new track sometimes you have to think of different solutions....

·
cool beans
36,760 Posts
I can remember not too many years ago track's used to be rivited together with steel cleats and when them things came out at speed woh look out. I was helping my brother one time clean his sled out (he was holding it up) when one of them cleat's came out, Drove that cleat half way through the one inch thick door. :cool_old:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts