Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The track on my formula z is shot, it is a camoplast track with regular lugs, that was installed when i got it. It hits the tunnel protectors under the tunnel even when it is sitting, for some reason i don't think it is supposed to do that, is there any adjustments or do i need a new track even quicker?

·
Registered
164 Posts
that sucks man. Did you test drive it before you bought it? Did you just change tracks? Only thing I can think of is to make shure your back wheels on the rear suspension are back far enouf. there is a long bolt sticking out in front of them. turn them equaly to tighten the track

·
Registered
461 Posts
whats the lug size? i run 1" my buddy runs 1 1/4" and i hear 1 1/2 is the max w/out mods. how much sag is in the suspension? also what suspension you have ARM, sc10 or m10? if its an up graded suspension id say the installed it wrong. if its stock id say look at shocks & springs. just a thought.

·
Registered
237 Posts
On my ck3 I had the suspension out , when installed agian the track hit the tunnel , the problem was on mine their is a set of wheels holding the track off the top off the suspension close to the tunnel , their were two sets of holes those wheels could be installed , I had put them in the top hole in turn track hitting on tunnel , moved to lower set of holes now ok after I wrecked the track , maybe yours could be adjusted the same way .

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think stock is 3/4" lug, so check that. When I put 1" studs on mine they wanted to hit the exchanger so I decreased the upper two idlers for more clearance.

·
Registered
282 Posts
dbenney said:
hey Q stock track on ours is .88. i put a 1" track on & have no clearance issues.
[snapback]285928[/snapback]​
hmm I guess my track isn't stock. My entire track is 1" with a 3/4"lug, its fine, I then put on larger tunnel protectors ( can't remember the size)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AK670rotax said:
Did you test drive it before you bought it? Did you just change tracks?
[snapback]285686[/snapback]​
no there is no test driving at haydays, and the track is shot not only because of the tunnel, it has ripped lugs and bs from abuse...

is there two different top idler holes on the arm suspension? if so i think that is it...

·
Samsquamch
1,652 Posts
Smaller idlers on the top shaft is your answer!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
no ram he has different suspension. you have the ARM suspension. your top idlers go on a shaft which is the top part of the swing arm. and there is only 1 set of holes for that to bolt onto. not sure if its will affect it this way make sure limiter strap is kinda angled down. when i replaced the track in the manual it said to be sure its down. a buddy of mine didnt and he said that the suspension didnt work right. also double check the track tension. can you call them & see if the will hook you up or was it sold as is? did you measure the lug height yet?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it was sold as is. i didnt measure the track height, but i think it is like stock, i dont think it was cut down where it needed to be when studs were put in and longer protectors installed.. for now we set the suspension to the taller hole in the tunnel and it doesn't rub, it is like 10 feet tall, but doesn't ride to bad...

·
Registered
79 Posts

I just put a new 1 1/4" on my 2000 mxz and I had the same problem. If you are not using studs you dont really need those protectors anyway. I ended up taking my protecters right off. I dont plan on studding my track so I really didnt care. That was 500 miles ago and she's workin fine. I give it a real good inspection in the garage after everything melts and she's good. I spent 900 on my track and didnt want it ever touching those protecters. I thought I might mill them down shorter and put em back on but I aint gonna bother now.

Drill out rivets at snow flap and you'll see you can gently pry apart the crimps to pull the protecters right out. Anyway if you find her too top heavy and you don't have studs this is a good solution. I used this method cause I wanted the same gearing and used existing drivecog. I plan to upgrade to anti racheting cogs where the cog runs through the open windows in the track. It hasnt been racheting at all but I want those cogs for next year. And maybe bigger rear wheels and then I can run her looser! hehehehe

Good luck!
Jamie

mech_head6 said:
it was sold as is. i didnt measure the track height, but i think it is like stock, i dont think it was cut down where it needed to be when studs were put in and longer protectors installed.. for now we set the suspension to the taller hole in the tunnel and it doesn't rub, it is like 10 feet tall, but doesn't ride to bad...
[snapback]293865[/snapback]​

·
Registered
79 Posts

Yeah I think youre right! I have to check that one out. There could be problem in the front too but mine is great there.

wiscdoo said:
On my ck3 I had the suspension out , when installed agian the track hit the tunnel , the problem was on mine their is a set of wheels holding the track off the top off the suspension close to the tunnel , their were two sets of holes those wheels could be installed , I had put them in the top hole in turn track hitting on tunnel , moved to lower set of holes now ok after I wrecked the track , maybe yours could be adjusted the same way .
[snapback]285867[/snapback]​

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a 1-1/2" under my '99 Formula Z with no rubbing, sounds lke somethig is not quite right, if all you have is stock or close to stock.

·
Registered
461 Posts
mech_head6 said:
[snapback]293865[/snapback]​
what taller hole in tunnel is that? if you can take a pic of it & email it to me at

[email protected]

·
Registered
120 Posts
what taller hole in tunnel is that? if you can take a pic of it & email it to me at

[email protected]

basically there are two holes on each side that hold the skidframe, for the rear hole there are two positions, if you put it in the lower one it will sit higher, in the higher one it will sit lower, I put it in the lower hole to get the track away from the tunnel protectors. Most people only raise the height when going through deep powder.

don't have any pics, but hope that helped.

·
Registered
461 Posts
hey ram you are talking bout 2 holes in tunnel where the shaft with the 3 small idlers aand the shocks mount right? if so i only have one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you have the arm suspension and a track with lugs larger than 1" you need smaller top idlers.I used plastic idlers out of a summit and machined them down on a lathe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts