Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a '99 Mach Z with an M-10 (and lots of other things), and I was thinking of doing rail and tunnel extensions to take it to 136". Didn't they make a Mach Z LT in the CK3 chassis? I'd try to find the factory tunnel extension if I could. Anywho, I'd want to run a 136x1.25 track unstudded, preferrably a Ripsaw. I currently have a 1" Camo, studded, no clearance issues. I know there's issues with a studded 1.25, but what about unstudded?

·
In Search Of PAH!
1,853 Posts
No problems with an unstudded 1.25" on that chassis, you can even go 1.5 or 1.75 without any problems (unstudded, of course.) My friend runs a 136x15x1.5" RipSaw on his 98 Mach Z that he longtracked a couple months ago.

They did make a CK3 LT Mach Z in 1998 and 1999. Not sure about later years. There's a longtrack "kit" available for the CK3 chassis, but with your M-10 suspension, it'll include more parts than you'll need.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, even a 1.5" would have no issues? That opens up a lot more possibilities. I do like the sounds of that 1.5 Ripsaw.

I had the same problem with a '97 XLT Special I longtracked a few years ago. The Special had the Xtra-12 skid. I wanted a "factory" looking Xtra-12 equipped XLT SKS. I bought a kit with the tunnel extension, bumper, and a few other parts, but the rest was useless because the normal SKS had the Xtra-10. I used all of the kit I could, then bought 133.5" Xtra-12 rails from a Classic Touring sled. Looked factory, right down to the Snow King Special sticker on the tunnel extension, but it was one of a kind. That's what I want with this, a factory look but with an extended M-10.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Gasman said:
Wow, even a 1.5" would have no issues? That opens up a lot more possibilities. I do like the sounds of that 1.5 Ripsaw.
Thanks for the info!
[snapback]754455[/snapback]​
No problem with my 1.5" Challenger, I would like to have a 1,75" on my LT when my track dies.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I ran a 1.50" non studded track on one of my CK-3's and the track did not last .
The lugs were getting rubbed off over time like one season and changed it back out.

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
Just put 2000 miles on a Doo 1.5 fully clipped with 0 problems and the first 800 was some bad conditions.
A 1.75 will not work unless you change to 8 tooth drivers, no clearance up front.
Last year I ran a 1.25 with no problems but this 1.5 is night and day, cant imajine what a 2.0 can do!

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
teerex said:
Gasman said:
Thanks for the info!
No problem with my 1.5" Challenger, I would like to have a 1,75" on my LT when my track dies.

[snapback]754609[/snapback]​
Hey, I thought I was the only one with a two up seat for my Mach Z ... LOL!

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
XcellR8 said:
teerex said:
Gasman said:
Thanks for the info!

[snapback]754609[/snapback]​
Hey, I thought I was the only one with a two up seat for my Mach Z ... LOL!
[snapback]757844[/snapback]​
That's wrong just wrong

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wait a minute! (As the lightbulb goes on over my head.) Why do I hear of clearance issues with guys running 1.25 tracks and 1.375 studs, but yet you guys say I can easily fit a 1.5 track? You're not talking about 1.5 tracks with 8-tooth drivers are you? Cuz I really don't want to change drivers.

·
In Search Of PAH!
1,853 Posts
Measure the actual overall length of a 1.375" stud once.

Also, studs on a track moving at 100 mph, the track balloons out a lot more than a track without studs.

That's why I specified NO STUDS.

I just finished installing a 1.75" track on my friend's 99 Mach Z. Sled is completely bone stock, he bought it a few weeks ago, it's a brand new leftover. Track was rotted from sitting on dirt, but dealer threw in whatever track he wanted, and the 1.75" was the most expensive, so that's what he took home with him. It's a little tight, but he's put 1000 miles on it since I installed it, and there's no rub marks anywhere.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know a 1.375 stud is longer than 1.375, that 1.375 is the installed height from the track surface. Aren't track lugs measured from the track surface? I know all about ballooning at high speeds with studs, I've put a few marks in some heat exchangers myself. I just can't imagine a 1.25 track with 108 1.375's (two per bar) would come in contact with the cooler easier than a 1.75. Where do things get tight, at the front or on top?

Regardless, it sounds like I shouldn't have a problem with a 1.5 Ripsaw, so that's the direction I'm leaning.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Gasman said:
I just picked up a '99 Mach Z with an M-10 (and lots of other things), and I was thinking of doing rail and tunnel extensions to take it to 136". Didn't they make a Mach Z LT in the CK3 chassis? I'd try to find the factory tunnel extension if I could. Anywho, I'd want to run a 136x1.25 track unstudded, preferrably a Ripsaw. I currently have a 1" Camo, studded, no clearance issues. I know there's issues with a studded 1.25, but what about unstudded?
[snapback]754412[/snapback]​
Actually Bobs Mach he just got is a 00'!!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's hillarious!! I was JUST coming back to this thread to change that, because I realized it was wrong.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I beat you to it!!! did you get the sway bar link fixed yet?? Oh yea, I mailed the chaincase today, they said you should have it tomorrow. The U.P. is getting nailed, I may run up there this weekend.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Didn't fix the link yet, summer project. If I decide to run to the Yoop I'll just pull the bar out. Tough call though, need to focus my money and efforts on quad racing season now. First race in 44 days!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have noticed that if you want to run an 1.5" on that sled you need to remove the bulkhead reinforcement at the front. That is what wears all the lugs off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts