Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took my clutch off this afternoon took it apart , ramps have some wear spots in it aand the rollers are pitted , the bushings look pretty good , it has aprox 2800 miles on it , now I need to check how much parts are any thing else I should look at?

thanks

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
it was acting up overreving then going down to like 7700 rpm,s I had to nove the clicker to #2 it was better but still wasn't right , so I am thinking the wear spots in the ramps where causing this,, am I thinking right?

thanks again

·
Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
31,861 Posts
now that you have it off;put a new pb80 back on. :ride:

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
it was acting up overreving then going down to like 7700 rpm,s I had to nove the clicker to #2 it was better but still wasn't right , so I am thinking the wear spots in the ramps where causing this,, am I thinking right?

thanks again
Yes, you're thinking right. Replace ramps, rollers, & spring if you still want to keep that clutch.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, you're thinking right. Replace ramps, rollers, & spring if you still want to keep that clutch.
I think I will put new ramps and rollers in and try to get another 3000 miles out of it ,,,I don't think the spring would be bad

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I would need some major convincing to change the primary spring it looks perfectly good to me

·
ride hard or die trying
7,806 Posts
Spring lose there rate from being compressed for a long period of time some say 20-30 lb per year

So say you had a 200lb final rate spring after / years of being in the clutch it could be 140lb rate

Which could cause a rpm issue

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,820 Posts
Spring lose there rate from being compressed for a long period of time some say 20-30 lb per year
So say you had a 200lb final rate spring after / years of being in the clutch it could be 140lb rate
Like andrew said they sac. Springs imo for proper performance should be a seasonal change.

·
Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
31,861 Posts
$36 for primary spring ; you have it apart replace it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

alrite talked me into it

thanks

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think I will put new ramps and rollers in and try to get another 3000 miles out of it ,,,I don't think the spring would be bad
I personally think changing the spring is unnecessary, but I had mine rebuilt at 4000 miles. It blew an arm at 7000, leaving me stranded.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
At least you know what you have now. Most of us don't have the luxury of having availability to test them and if suffering performance then the spring is a good cheap place to start, of course after checking ramps etc.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
took my clutch off this afternoon took it apart , ramps have some wear spots in it aand the rollers are pitted , the bushings look pretty good , it has aprox 2800 miles on it , now I need to check how much parts are any thing else I should look at?

thanks
I have a brand new TRA with zero miles if you want it. PM me for a price.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a brand new TRA with zero miles if you want it. PM me for a price.
thanks I ordered parts yesterday ,,,should last me another couple years , just couldn't see paying 500 plus dollars on a stock sled

thanks

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Measure the free length. If it is close to 4.3 inches you do not need to change it or since you bought a new one you may have a good spare.

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,667 Posts
Always good to check the spring. Put mine away after my first year running well and when I got it out the next it wouldn't pull the same rpm's, went thru everything. The free length was right on but when I put it on the scale the end force was 30#'s off, new one went in and rpm's were bang on again.

They're cheap performance.......

-Grover

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
x2. I do not consider free length a good measure of the health of a clutch spring. Tells nothing of the actual force under compression after the metal has fatigued, and Grovers example is more typical. Only a spring tester can tell spring condition for certain, and those are valuable tools but pretty expensive, and most don't own one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts