Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have lots and lotsa miles on TRAs (owned sleds with em since 1989) and have had great luck with them from a reliability standpoint, but I am new to the 1200 and see a lot of posts on failures and short lifespan.

That surprised me since my sled (2012 mxz-x, TRA 4) has such a light spring in it (very little leverage and force on the arms, ramps, rollers...)

What is it about the 1200 that causes all these problems??

·
boost junkie
10,603 Posts
high rpms and bigger springs with more weight will turn turn the wimpy, noisy tra4 into junk

stock they are not horrable, but will never be close to a tra5

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,652 Posts
The 3cyl harmonics. Its hard on the primary. Tried to keep my TRA living for a long time and spent alot on parts for it, just wants to eat itself up. If you are hard on the gas corner to corner type it wears fast. I have moved on from it(had two TRA's), but liked it better than the PB80.

-grover

·
Registered
548 Posts
89mx I am in the same boat and there is LOTS of reading on here as far as clutching goes. ......tra....edrive...pb80 get comfortable and start reading lol

I am still trying to decide which way I will go

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
TRA can be made to perform good but in my opinion is continually self destructing on a 1200 or any 4-stroke. Broken arms, worn ramps, worn rollers, grooves in the faces, etc. I had a pair of v-twin 800's in last spring and the only thing good in both clutches were the arms. Ramps, rollers, faces were all shot. Ive got a powerbloc on both of mine and they simply work with very few issues.

I've had and tuned many TRA's over the years and really liked them. The only thing I miss is the clickers.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
TRA can be made to perform good but in my opinion is continually self destructing on a 1200 or any 4-stroke. Broken arms, worn ramps, worn rollers, grooves in the faces, etc. I had a pair of v-twin 800's in last spring and the only thing good in both clutches were the arms. Ramps, rollers, faces were all shot. Ive got a powerbloc on both of mine and they simply work with very few issues.

I've had and tuned many TRA's over the years and really liked them. The only thing I miss is the clickers.
X2^

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Even running light springs and running at 7800 rpm that BRP built the 1200 for, they know the TRA won't stand up. Why else would they have come out with the eDrive? The fact that guys were trying to run 300 plus turbo HP through them didn't mean snot to BRP. And now that guys are making the NA motors sing at 9000 rpm should just show BRP how good the 1200 power plant is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What year did they go to the edrive?What clutch would a 2011 have? Is going to look at one on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
What year did they go to the edrive?What clutch would a 2011 have? Is going to look at one on Saturday.
2011 had the TRA. I think 2013 was the first year of the edrive on the 1200?

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
Did a TRA freshen up kit last year at 5500-ish miles on the 1200 and the clutch was in great shape. Still working well, is still quiet and same belt for the past couple K miles. I would expect I should be able to get a few more K miles on the TRA before it needs a major facelift.

When the TRA starts to go south versus a major overhaul, I will switch to the PB80 for stock secondary and freshen up the secondary at the same time. I am not really interested in squeezing out more performance as things are fine for my needs. I am after best reliability and low fiddling around. Just wanna ride... :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all. Gist im getting is: probably makes most sense to go powerblock now and sell the tra on ebay while it is still in good shape!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Did a TRA freshen up kit last year at 5500-ish miles on the 1200 and the clutch was in great shape. Still working well, is still quiet and same belt for the past couple K miles. I would expect I should be able to get a few more K miles on the TRA before it needs a major facelift.

When the TRA starts to go south versus a major overhaul, I will switch to the PB80 for stock secondary and freshen up the secondary at the same time. I am not really interested in squeezing out more performance as things are fine for my needs. I am after best reliability and low fiddling around. Just wanna ride... :)
I freshened my TRA on an '11 1200 at 5500ish miles. That is when I changed the original belt as well. The belt looked fine but due to the horror stories I've heard I went ahead and swapped it. I now have a 16 Grand Touring SE so I'll put some miles on the e-drive to determine the direction to go once the TRA is ready for the recycler.

Reactions: Tahquamenon
1 - 14 of 14 Posts