1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
I have no idea why you wuld want to?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Hey anyone running a TRA on the 2016 1200. Just looking for some set up idea's.
Your local Doo dealer has , and still using it.

Call Clint

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea why you wuld want to?
I have had great luck with TRA clutches on my last 6 1200's and are easy to adjust on trail . Never seem to loose the RPM's like E Drive's and PB 80's. Yes noisy but keep clean and tight i have got 10000 miles out of them easy. If u loose RPM's on you PB 80 in the middle of the day u just ride the rest of the day that way . I can fix it on the trail in 5 minutes. If i want to get better fuel mileage, for the high mileage days load the motor and cruise at lower RPM out run everyone in fuel. I would love to try a new BRP P Drive on my 1200 .Just a roll of a button and it changes the ramp angle. But they are only putting them on 2 strokes.

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
Very interesting response. I have been saying since back in 09 that I have had zero issues with my Tra clutches on my 1200's and everybody tells me there must be something wrong with me.

·
RPG
2022 Renegade X 900r Turbo
1,216 Posts
They're a nice clutch, just noisy.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Maybe it would drown out the drone..

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Very interesting response. I have been saying since back in 09 that I have had zero issues with my Tra clutches on my 1200's and everybody tells me there must be something wrong with me.
No not everyone.....I agree with you....Ive had very good luck with mine also 7400 miles on my last one untouched....except blowing it out and cleaning it......no issues.....I also said the same thing as you .....while everyone else was saying they were junk.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
They're a nice clutch, just noisy.
The ramps get messed up by the engine vibes, so they need regular replacement or performance suffers, and then around 8K miles they tend to explode an arm. So they're okay with maintenance, and I do miss the trail adjustability.......But they sure make a racket, tighter build tolerances would likely have solved all those issues.....

·
Super Moderator
29,369 Posts
Not everyone. I've said many times I'd rather have a TRA than the edrive. Personally I've never had any kind of issue with a TRA, ever.

Reactions: onapull

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've had 3 1200's with TRA's for a combined mileage of 20000+ miles,they all rattled when cold but I just shimmed the the backside of the buttons with .0028" shims and they never rattled,never had to rebuild,just cleaned them regularly,took them all apart and put them in the d/w when the wife isn't home Lol,and ya definitely miss the on trail ease of adjustment especially since conditions can change several times throughout the day,but ya my brother in law races snocross and the Pdrive is a sweet looking piece!

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Yep, just noisy. Even after they did the new sliders and O-ring update in 09.

And no, the drone did not cancel out the rattling clutch........LOL

Reactions: Jeb©

·
boost junkie
10,604 Posts
I was on the same band wagon untill I started spinning my tra4 near 9000 rpm

it only made it about 1000 miles and then the movable started cracking

so if your planing on spinning higher rpms you may want to keep a eye out for cracks

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
nothing wrong with a forged TRA off an older RS. Very well balanced clutch. Pdrive better yet. There are options out there if one knows how to tune.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I was on the same band wagon untill I started spinning my tra near 9000 rpm

it only made it about 1000 miles and then the movable started cracking

so if your planing on spinning higher rpms you may want to keep a eye out for cracks
I think the TRA is good for RPM below 8500RPM, but spinning higher RPM and adding HP is where the PB80 would be better.

Local guy has a TRA spinning 8300rpm on his 2016 Gade 1200, doing a good job, but may go back to an edrive for higher rpm running.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts