Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which rear torsion springs are heavier, 503191483 / 503191481 or 270 / 271? Thanks

·
Registered
587 Posts
481 series has more UMPH with a wider, softer opening angle.

sooverall the 483 is much stiffer than the 270 series
I was wondering how would I know what torsion spring I have on my 2017 X 129 with remote adjusters. I purchased used and I am not sure what is in there. I weight 170 and I had it on the lowest setting and never bottomed out and my sag was never enough. Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
typically on the long leg of the spring that runs from up high down to the rail are part numbers. over time they wear off. however, post up what ever numbers you can make out on the spring from either side, on the outsideof that long leg

·
Registered
587 Posts
typically on the long leg of the spring that runs from up high down to the rail are part numbers. over time they wear off. however, post up what ever numbers you can make out on the spring from either side, on the outsideof that long leg
I could not find the part # but I measured the spring and it is .369 " or 9.37mm. Does that help?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a stiffer set of torsion springs put on my 19' MXZ 600 XRS and the part number is 503192270 (Right hand Spring. I find it helped but with all the stuff I carry on the back of my sled for long trips I couldn't get the sag number i was looking for. I think it's time I send an e-mail to Ian and get some tuning advice!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was wondering how would I know what torsion spring I have on my 2017 X 129 with remote adjusters. I purchased used and I am not sure what is in there. I weight 170 and I had it on the lowest setting and never bottomed out and my sag was never enough. Thoughts?
I'm 290 6'4 and rarely bottom out on the 19 Gade 850 and I ride at 8/10th's most of the time 300 miles a day. All while having the torsion's on the lowest settings and leaving the shock on factory setting.

You are supposed to bottom a bit, that way you know you are using all of the suspension.

Bear

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm 290 6'4 and rarely bottom out on the 19 Gade 850 and I ride at 8/10th's most of the time 300 miles a day. All while having the torsion's on the lowest settings and leaving the shock on factory setting.

You are supposed to bottom a bit, that way you know you are using all of the suspension.

Bear
My sled runs very hot because I do not have enough sag. My buddy has the same sled but no quick adjust and his is way softer on the initial 4" of travel. Not sure what to think. I know the shock had the oil changed with med weight shock oil but i was always told the springs control the sag not the shock. Not sure!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
My sled runs very hot because I do not have enough sag. My buddy has the same sled but no quick adjust and his is way softer on the initial 4" of travel. Not sure what to think. I know the shock had the oil changed with med weight shock oil but i was always told the springs control the sag not the shock. Not sure!
I'm 200 and use 270/271 rear springs and find if in low snow temps start going up . I just drag my foot for a little and temps go down. The stiffer springs keep my front end planted better.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
springs and shocks work in tandem for ride heigth, 100%, no arguing this. i do have videos showing this on youtube, they are older. some will argue that shocks dont affect heigth but those people are applying automotive theory, not snowmobile, dirtbike, etc

·
Registered
587 Posts
springs and shocks work in tandem for ride heigth, 100%, no arguing this. i do have videos showing this on youtube, they are older. some will argue that shocks dont affect heigth but those people are applying automotive theory, not snowmobile, dirtbike, etc
I would not have thought the Amsoil Medium Shock Oil would have made that much of a difference but it sounds like it may have. Thanks for the information Ian!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts