Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to get the rear skid under a little more control, I was thinking of installing the 2004 adr torsion springs(p/n 503-189-902 and 904) into my 440. I plan on getting the shocks revalved also, but am wondering what effect the softer torsion springs would have, and how much softer they are. I looked in my race manual and cannot find the spring rates for the 440)p/n 503-190-483 and 485) either.
I have read that for trail riding, that a softer torsion spring makes a big difference. Having the rear of the sled come around on you is starting to get OLD! I know that the 2004 Adr springs are a little weak, but coupled with the stiff shock, I am wondering if they would work out ok??

No time to get the shocks re-valved before a family trip planned for next weekend. The idea of having my 3 year old boy getting his jewels jostled by the rough ride makes me want to do something!

Anyone have the difference in spring rates...comments on how much difference this will make??

Thanks

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
I would PM bc3 with your question. I know he has the spring rate for the 04 440X square torsion springs as I sent him one of mine to be tested with his spacer kit. I am sure he has tested an 04 Adr spring as well.

I think doing just the spring swap for the family ride would help out alot and the ride would be fine. But I think just changing springs and riding the sled hard would make the rear end react slower in the bumps.... Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Revspan-
Changing springs may help, but depending on how much you weigh the springs on the sled might be pretty close. When you say "having the rear come around on you" - what does that mean? Does the rear of the machine feel like it wants to pass you when going over bumps or does that mean the rear of the machine kicks straight up or does that mean the rear slides out in the turns?

What I am getting at is maybe there is some adjustments we can do that will suffice until you get your valving changed over. If the rear skid is adjusted right, it should track straight, but just feel stiff.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom, overall the rear skid is just too stiff. 1' stutter bumps is really tough to hang onto....it just cannot soak up the bumps, just goes over them. I guess that that the best way to desrcribe it would be that in a straight line, it does track ok, but if you hit a bump a little off square then watch out, because it is going to share itself to the bump and that means that the skid is now not tracking to well. I thought about putting a zip tie on the shock shafts to see how much travel I am getting out of the front and rear suspension, but haven't got to it yet. That may be a good way to tell how much of the suspension is being used in a given type of riding.
Anyway, I am probably going to change out the springs before the weekend and then when I get back, I will ship the shocks to you and you can re-tune them to get them better in line with some trail riding.....any other ideas???

Anyone have the spring rates for the springs I listed??

thanks again

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I would venture a solid guess that changing springs will only mask the problem. I will bet a simple re-valve will help the most. When I rode the SC-3 skid, I found the rear springs plenty soft for my weight (180lbs). The valving is just to slow to respond to bumps at medium to fast speeds.

Let me know and I will fix you up.
TW

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm with Tom springs are OK. You need to get the 1 slit pistons out of the rear skid shocks. I put 6 slits in the wifes 04 440 and it now rides great . I will most likely go with 4 slit pistons and leave shim stack alone when I rebuild the shocks on my 04. By the way the 1 slit pistons in the front shocks work great if you don't run a sway bar.

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
JTx2 said:
I'm with Tom springs are OK. You need to get the 1 slit pistons out of the rear skid shocks. I put 6 slits in the wifes 04 440 and it now rides great . I will most likely go with 4 slit pistons and leave shim stack alone when I rebuild the shocks on my 04. By the way the 1 slit pistons in the front shocks work great if you don't run a sway bar.
[snapback]719959[/snapback]​
Who sells the different slit pistons? Price?

·
Registered
683 Posts
JTx2 said:
[snapback]719959[/snapback]​
This is the first I have heard mention of 1 and 4 slit pistons - can someone elaborate on what this means?

Thanks,

Dave.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Go to Daycore website and look at shock tuning page, they have some great info. The pistons in C36 shocks have bypass valving, these slits bypass oil through the piston. The more slits the more oil is bypassed the softer the valving is. Our 440's come with 1 slit pistons which are very stiff. Installing pistons with more slits will soften the ride and if you leave the shim stack and springs alone these shocks will still take the big hits without bottoming. I rebuilt my shocks a couple of times before I got the combo I liked, I'm sure there are many shock rebuilders out there that have great set-ups to improve your ride.

·
Shortbus member
1,026 Posts
Bleed spit quanity will affect low speed dampening. For faster weight transfer under acceleration & deceleration use a piston with more bleed splits. How many slit piston for a 150 pound guy without gear on ?

414 888 305 2 slit 32.97
414 888 306 4 slit 32.97
414 888 307 6 slit 52.47
ingles price

deycore HPG shock parts

All below: $25.00
slits
11308-20374 1
11308-20370 2
11308-20375 3
11308-20371 4
11308-20376 5