Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that there are now these torsion spacers that are a Doo Talk sponsor. They seem like they might improve the feel of the rear suspension. I was just curious to see if anyone has really used them. Any input would be appreciated.
-Team Scream

·
Registered
2020 RENEGADE 600R E-TEC
924 Posts
TeamScream said:
I see that there are now these torsion spacers that are a Doo Talk sponsor. They seem like they might improve the feel of the rear suspension. I was just curious to see if anyone has really used them. Any input would be appreciated.
-Team Scream

[snapback]710909[/snapback]​
I installed the spacers and they work great. They hold the spring in the correct position allowing the spring to work better. I'm 180 lbs with my gear on and so i was running the rear spring adjustment by the recommendations in the manual. But the suspension would not raise back up all the way. if I raised the rear spring adjustment above the lowest setting (1) it would make the sled push in turns. With the spring spacers on it's perfect.

Worth the money, and I feel it will extend the life of the spring. I measured before and after installation and I saw an inch to an inch and a half in ride height correction after puting them on.

·
FAQ man
3,848 Posts
On my sled, 2005 Renegade, it helped immensely when carrying weight on the back, such as saddlebags and jerry can for long trips. Less bottoming fer sure.

FYI, the sled does ride stiffer. How to explain this.... The finish rate of the spring seems unchanged. Whereas the point at which the spring begins to move is higher, kind of like increasing the pre-tension on the spring.

I used to ride with my springs at 2 or 3 on the rotating spring tensioner, now I am almost always at 1.

A big difference was noticed when banging thru deep bumps, everything seems to react quicker and more precisely, easier to keep control, and can hammer through the bumps faster than before.

I did notice stutter bumps were a little rougher than before though.

Yes, the sled does sit higher in the back now. I noticed some increase in steering effort due to this as well.

The installation instructions were good, the very kit is of very high quality construction.

Here's more info:
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84015&hl=

Jerry C.

·
Registered
676 Posts
^^^^ basically the same with mine. Work great.

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
wecker20 said:
Whats the plastic pc made out of? Delrin stock? Can't see paying $50 for it, anyone want to give me the OD of the Delrin and I'll just make my own?
[snapback]711493[/snapback]​
That'd be pretty rude IMO. Someone took the time to do enough R&D to come up with a design that works and then produce it, take on the potential, personal liability (I assume the maker isn't insured as a business) and sell them on here for a reasonable price. To just copy his design isn't really above board in my book.

·
Registered
639 Posts
biggziff said:
wecker20 said:
Whats the plastic pc made out of? Delrin stock? Can't see paying $50 for it, anyone want to give me the OD of the Delrin and I'll just make my own?
That'd be pretty rude IMO. Someone took the time to do enough R&D to come up with a design that works and then produce it, take on the potential, personal liability (I assume the maker isn't insured as a business) and sell them on here for a reasonable price. To just copy his design isn't really above board in my book.
[snapback]711508[/snapback]​
Yeah, I just did a search and found the main post when he just started making them for Dootalkers. There's different sizes for differnt spring rates and sleds so there was a lot of work and info. put into it. Isn't as simple as I thought.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
The seller of these spacers needs to know exactely what springs you are running, so he can make teh spacers the correct diameter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am 200lbs and ride my gade hard, have to keep up and sometimes even pass my 16 year old on 05 adrenalin, I always bottomed out, installed 2 up GTX springs and now its mint, rode 200 mile saturday on the hill and never once bottomed out on 2 setting,

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,312 Posts
biggziff said:
wecker20 said:
[snapback]711508[/snapback]​
Yeah I'll give ya the OD info for $100.

Better yet I'll sell ya my set for $150 plus shipping.

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
stevemcquene said:
I am 200lbs and ride my gade hard, have to keep up and sometimes even pass my 16 year old on 05 adrenalin, I always bottomed out, installed 2 up GTX springs and now its mint, rode 200 mile saturday on the hill and never once bottomed out on 2 setting,
[snapback]711775[/snapback]​
So...do you have the torsion spacers or are you just letting us know that you changed springs?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I installed this spacer kit in my '06 Renegade and tried it out this past week in N. Wis. I previously had rear springs at max and needed more preload, I'm 200#, riding. Now, setting #3 is just right. Action seems a little more linear, as springs seemed to load-up before and acted more progressive. Didn't seem stiffer, just better application of spring effort.
Easy to install. Great quality. You couldn't make it, this nice, for 50 bucks.
Hombre.

·
Registered
880 Posts
does the rear suspension need to be dropped out to get access for the install? Any pointers?

·
Registered
25 Posts
batesfusion said:
does the rear suspension need to be dropped out to get access for the install? Any pointers?
[snapback]715390[/snapback]​
Just lift the rear of the sled and support track with floor jack. Pull the two bolts on the spring shaft and lower out. Will lift right back when done. An impact wrench will speed the job, but not necessary.
Hombre

·
Registered
2020 RENEGADE 600R E-TEC
924 Posts
Hombre said:
batesfusion said:
[snapback]715390[/snapback]​
Just lift the rear of the sled and support track with floor jack. Pull the two bolts on the spring shaft and lower out. Will lift right back when done. An impact wrench will speed the job, but not necessary.
Hombre
[snapback]715693[/snapback]​
I couldn't agree more, complete instructions come with the kit.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I actually live close to the guy making them. When I bought them he even met me off the highway. Like they said in previous posts, there is more to it than meets the eye, just pay for them. You need to know round or square springs, and the color Doo marked on them. This WILL smooth out the ride a bit. I don't know why Doo doesn't put them on stock. Seems like such a simple but effective thing to do. I hear the 440's have them as well as Cats.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well, finally got home from a very lenghtly 2 weeks of business travel, missing the best 2 weeks of riding ALL year none the less, to find the spacers from Bob on my desk at work! Opened up the box and found the set of spacers, retaining collars, and a very nicely written set of instructions. I have to give Bob and the other guys involved in this product Kudos for such nice workmanship. The spacers are nicely turned and couldn't look nicer, same with the aluminum retainer collars. Went to the garage, yeah couldn't resist taking the day off with the grasp of summer closing in. Using my sled lift, got her up in the air, started inspecting the assembly, and grabbed my ratcheting tow strap out of the trunk. Instead of using a jack, I just dropped the tension on the track and started in on removing those two 10mm hex bolts that hold the top shaft and wheels in place.

WOW, did someone use a bit TOO much locktite from the factory or [email protected]?!?! darn those things were in there! Even with the assistant of my 18v impact wrench, they went NO WHERE! Well a bit of brutte strength is what it needed, oh and a 6' long pipe over the end of my 1/2" breaker bar! Whew, that was a tough one, if you didn't figure that out....

Anyways, finally got the bolts out and used my tow strap to around the rack to keep the track off the ground and the track away from interfearing with the top wheels. Popped off the collars, oh and watch out for those springs, boy do those have a bit of preasure behind em. Pulled off the wheels and now you can see the springs and the factory installed spacers. Dang do those things have a huge gap between the spacer and the springs. Good thing I took on this task, there were a couple of plastic rings just floating around in there, looks like the wheels had just sheared the plastic off on each side.

After goofing around with trying to pull on the ends of the spacers with a kids size pliars, I said screw it and busted in on the job with my more than likely WaY to large pair of channel locks and right off they came.

Now with the spacers off and grease all over my hands from the shaft, I had to remove the forward spring holder in order to get the new spacers to fit all the way to the center.

With the spacers on, the front spring holders tightened back up and some blue loctite on the set screws for the colars, it's time to button everything back up again. With the outter wheels back on the shaft and the shaft centered, place the outter spring and one collar onto just one side to start and setting the collar so the shaft is spotted on the outside just inside the taper. Now you will probably need a second hand with this part, push from the finished side and place the wheel as well as the spring and collar on the shaft like the first side.

Being I didn't use a jack, Just reposition the strap around the bottom of the skid and tighten it up until you can get those 10mm allen bolts back in. Installing those bolts all the way in with an impact is a no no, but I did use it for just a shot on each side to not have to worry about the shaft spinning. Hoping you didn't forget the blue loctite on those as well, torque them down to spec (well a pretty good tug on each side is my torque).

Tighten the track back up and check for any loose bolts and you are on your way.

Ok, now that I'm done with my little shop corner I'll let you know how my first 100 miles on the spacers went. I'm about 230 with full gear and was riding the spring blocks in position 4 and still finding bottoming out from time to time. I did like that ride, even though the bottoming because it wasn't so tight that I would bust up my back or my knees in the bumps, but wouldn't bottom out constantly. Through out the ride today, the ditches were TERRIBLE shape and lots and lots of bumps and very hard packed drifts where they weren't beaten like a redheaded step child by other riders. Out of the garage, I turned the settings down to a 3 thinking the spacers would make the springs work much more efficiently, and boy did they ever. I think I bottomed out a small handfull of times, again only on setting 3 and the way I'm feeling right now, that's about the hardest I've riden this year.

So the reason for this post, I know there are a lot of people out ther just waiting to find a reason for doing this pretty cheap mod to get a little better ride out of their rear suspension instead of doing an extensive spring or shock upgrade. I do not believe this spacer is the end all fix for the crummy low end springs from the factory, but if you are on the edge of needing that higher tension spring, maybe give these a try.

Thanks Bob and your group of buds for taking the time to make these a flawless fit and providing a nice product. Kudos to you all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.