Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the torque specs for the upper and lower nuts in the chain case. Also the lower bearing is the unshielded side to face in (towards chaincase) or out.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
What are the torque specs for the upper and lower nuts in the chain case. Also the lower bearing is the unshielded side to face in (towards chaincase) or out.
The castle nut on the top sprocket should be 45 to 75 Nm or 33 to 55 lbf*ft

The lower nut for the bottom sprocket should be 44Nm or 32 lbf*ft

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
I assembled with seal away from chain. What will happen if left this way? The bearing will be lubed from chaincase???
It will get debris from the chain and the gears inside the bearing. Turn it around so the seal is towards the chain. It will still get lubricated from the chain case oil.

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
It will get debris from the chain and the gears inside the bearing. Turn it around so the seal is towards the chain. It will still get lubricated from the chain case oil.
I have put thousands of miles on chaincase bearings and NEVER had a failure with the seal away from the oil. The first time I installed new bearings with the seal facing the oil I had the upper one go out @ only 3000 miles. A fluke or bad luck, who knows? But they all have no seal towards the oil to this day and never will go in any other way. It cost me an entire day of riding up north, gotta hate that when it happens!

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
I didn't think of this back azzwards again did I?

That's pretty interesting mikadoo.

G

·
and the manual dont say jack squat about which way they go either so cant be all that bad either way.... mine were in seal facing the chain and they went back the same way. i guess its a case of 6 of one half a dozen of the other
sounds like you got a seal that was sealed a little too much mikadoo....

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
I owned Yamaha's for many many years and they always had the seal facing away from the oil and never had a failure. Then I went Skidoo in 94 and again in 96 and the seals were away from the oil. Then on the 97 I discovered on the first oil change the seal facing to the oil. I figure some moron put the bearings in backwards so I changed them around, my 2000 the same way.
With all this talk of metal particals getting into the bearing I thought after 11,000 of the oil going directly into the bearing I would replace them and put the seal out. 3000 miles later the upper bearing destroyed itself so back to the OLD way!
When this bearing went it was the first time out and about 50 miles into the ride when it went. I was just thinking my last ride from the previous season was my Canada ride with video Mike. Wouldn't that have been cute having a bearing go in the middle of no where on a video tour that other people are paying for!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts