Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 mxz 583 i bought with a broken head bolt on the mag side, above exhaust port. The head bolts above exhaust ports are shorter, the owner before me didnt realize this and over tightened a longer bolt in it causing the bolt to break off flush and jamming the rave valve up.
I have a 91 type 536, 521cc non rave top end, from a formula plus X. (same 64mm stroke) it bolts up the same and everything appears to match up, I'm wondering if this topend will work without any problems. its my wifes sled so im not concerned about a power loss, just concerned about dependability.

·
Have been
5,940 Posts
Any1??? well i guess there is one way to find out, she'll go, or she'll blow!
The 521 jugs will work on the 583 bottom just fine! If you swap the other way there is a problem with the liner of the 583 jug not clearing the case, but to put the smaller 521 jugs on the 583 bottom is a bolt on you will have to test and tune to get the jetting to match the smaller engine.The pipe won,t be aperfict match but the engine will work ok.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya, the 85-87 type 537, 521's had 40mm carbs (so does my mxz 583) i just going to go with what jets the 537's ran and hope for the best. as for exhaust, i still have the pipe and muffler from the prs chassis from the plus X. i'm going to need to use some flex tube to mate pipe to muffler. i thought about straight pipe... but i don't want to p!$$ the neighbors off at 2:00am when im coming home from a 150 mile night. and just to let ya know, i did try to see if the 583 jugs bolted up to the 521 bottom end (which is junk, and reason for the swap) the 583 jug bolted up to 521 bottom just fine. thank you for your input, its greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well stealth bomber... i am, im going to ebay a jug. my thoughts where to lighten up the motor, (521 top end weighs ALOT less then the 583rave) and with pistons 4mm smaller i figured pistons weigh less too, making it rev faster, quicker throttle response and making it snappier with hopefully better low end horse. and... my biggest reason for the smaller pistons is fuel economy. and when i was running my 91 prs sled, i always wondered if i could drop a 583 rave top end on the 521. and i figured if the opposite would work, that then the 583 rave top would also work on the type 521 bottom. so that may help out other doo talkers with the 521 wanting a 583rave. im also a little affraid that the 583 might be to much sled for my wife. but i still want it to be fun enough for me to ride.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i am watching a couple on ebay at the moment, pm me with details, and does any1 know if the 617 will work just the same as a 583 jug? there both same 76mm bore and ebay has it writen "583/617" i know the 617 has a 68mm stroke vs. a 583 64mm stroke. this would help me find one faster and cheaper. for i dont have deep pockets!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Well stealth bomber... i am, im going to ebay a jug. my thoughts where to lighten up the motor, (521 top end weighs ALOT less then the 583rave) and with pistons 4mm smaller i figured pistons weigh less too, making it rev faster, quicker throttle response and making it snappier with hopefully better low end horse. and... my biggest reason for the smaller pistons is fuel economy. and when i was running my 91 prs sled, i always wondered if i could drop a 583 rave top end on the 521. and i figured if the opposite would work, that then the 583 rave top would also work on the type 521 bottom. so that may help out other doo talkers with the 521 wanting a 583rave. im also a little affraid that the 583 might be to much sled for my wife. but i still want it to be fun enough for me to ride.
You just answered your own question.

RAVE came out to time the exhaust port timing for both "Low end grunt" and "High top end HP."

Yes they may add 5 lbs. But a 5 lb sacarfice, for exactly what you are looking for, seems a small price to pay.

·
Have been
5,940 Posts
true, i did realized that, and then felt like an idiot!
The 617 has a 4 mm longer longer stroke the jug and the case are changed to make room for the longer stroke. Some thing that can be done is to put a 583 jug on a 500 case to make a 596 cc engine. this is some thing that should be done by some one that knows sleds because there are some clearance ckecks that need to be made. deck clearance and adiquit piston to crank clearance can cause a problem.

·
Registered
342 Posts
it should be simple enuff to check clearance issues durning the rebuild, but jugs bolt up and port tunnels match? what about base bolts, are they same size? and a reed motor with 76x65.8 bore/stroke (500 is also a 65.8mm stroke)is a 597 (99-04 non HO 600s) id love to run that, but dont know how cheap i could pick up a base for. if i was going to swich bases, id probibly try a reed motor 440, with 583 piston (modified to clear connecting rod) and 600 top end to make that same 597. witch all my 2 stroke 4 and 3 wheelers ive had... shorter strokes rev faster! so, i think id stay with the 64mm stroke vers. a 65.8. i dont know, im just looking to make as much horse (and torque) as posible for low buck. i know that longer strokes have more low end torque, so its a toss up. thanks for your in put, i'll keep my eyes out for a 500 case, i think id like to try that and see what it can doo!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts