Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help here guy's!! I truly don't understand how you guy's can hit these 120, 122, 125mph on these Mach Z's.

Mine is an 05 with the 05 mappin re-installed and all I could get this weekend was 110mph on the digital read-out. I know the weather was on the warm side, but it shouldn't affect me that much......
My sled is bone stock with the compression plugs plugged, 05 mapping re-installed, stock primary with 18.4grams pins on click 3 with a stock secondary. I'm spinning 8000rpm on the tach like everyone is telling me to do soo.
Also running a 1 1/4 Ripsaw 121" along with 168 1.450 Woody's Megabites.

Any info that could help me get this sled running those numbers would be great.

Thanks in advance
machzrt1000

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think those numbers come from running on ice or a very hard packed road. You wont get that in 5 inches of snow. For example the other day I ran 115 mph on speedo going across the lake, soft snowand -6 celcius. In the month of december on ice at -8 I ran 119.7 on radar. My 06 mach is stock with only 96 trail studs , you have 168 studs, that's extra weight. Also I was told the 06 makes it most h.p at 7850 to 7950. Thats my opinion. Also my digital read out is 5mph fast compared to radar

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
machzrt1000 said:
Need some help here guy's!! I truly don't understand how you guy's can hit these 120, 122, 125mph on these Mach Z's.

Mine is an 05 with the 05 mappin re-installed and all I could get this weekend was 110mph on the digital read-out. I know the weather was on the warm side, but it shouldn't affect me that much......
My sled is bone stock with the compression plugs plugged, 05 mapping re-installed, stock primary with 18.4grams pins on click 3 with a stock secondary. I'm spinning 8000rpm on the tach like everyone is telling me to do soo.

Thanks in advance
machzrt1000
[snapback]687152[/snapback]​
Did you try down 1 clicker , then 2 clicker settings 8K is just a number its not exact
i'd try clicker 2 and see what happens, and yeah flat ice is different than 6 inches of powder

·
Registered
881 Posts
machzrt1000 said:

Thanks in advance
machzrt1000
I have 05 with updates 144 studs ripsaw track domes and clutching will run 112 on fresh groomed trail, when I run it on the lake "ice" I usually pick up 7 or 8 mph. Ice makes a big difference.

·
Registered
213 Posts
machzrt1000 said:

Thanks in advance
machzrt1000
you should be 7800 or less on your tach. try to stay on clicker 3, 2 or 4 at the extreme's. john add more weight if you have to.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where I tried my sled this weekend was on a hard pack road with minimal to no snow at all. Pretty much melted my hy-fax. Gonna have to get a new set this week. I just don't see how going to click 2 or 1 can make that much difference but it's worth a shot I guess. For some reason the sled feels and sounds better at 8000rpm. I find that if I try to run the sled at around 7800rpm controlling it with my thumb throttle it seams slower. Hope that made sense to you all.....

Thanks in advance
machzrt1000

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
machzrt1000 said:
Where I tried my sled this weekend was on a hard pack road with minimal to no snow at all. Pretty much melted my hy-fax. Gonna have to get a new set this week. I just don't see how going to click 2 or 1 can make that much difference but it's worth a shot I guess. For some reason the sled feels and sounds better at 8000rpm. I find that if I try to run the sled at around 7800rpm controlling it with my thumb throttle it seams slower. Hope that made sense to you all.....

Thanks in advance
machzrt1000
[snapback]687433[/snapback]​
Seat of the pants doesnt always pan out, I know ive tried combinations in cars that
i could swear i felt like it had at least another 50hp, ran it at the track NO DEAL !
Went slower, GPS and RADARS DONT LIE,

I had a customer that refused to shift his car out any less than 6,000 RPM, kept complaining that "it should be faster" , I told him "shift it earlier like 5200-5300 it will go faster, he eventually did picked up 3 mph in the 1/4

it may feel faster at 8000 but reality may prove different, the motor could be making
10-15 hp less by over revving it .... thats alot to give up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
machzrt1000 said:

Thanks in advance
machzrt1000
You can't control it with your thumb, if you are letting off the throtle to lower RPM's you are also letting off the carbs, so it won't work that way. It has to run at the RPM's at WOT to try the diff.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I GOT 115MPH ON SPEEDO YESTERDAY ON ICE AND 108MPH ON HARDPACK BESIDE THE ICE TRACK. MY WIFE GOT 119MPH ON THE ICE. SHE IS 140LBS,I AM 260LBS. I RUN 1 1/4 RIPSAW WITH 168 DOUBLE BACK STUDS. STOCK CLUTCH EXCEPT MY RAMPS ARE CUT. EVERYTHING ELSE IS COMPLETELY STOCK.
UPDATES ARE DONE AND I AM ON CLICKER 5 AT 8000RPM W.O.T. I MAY TRY CLICKING DOWN TONIGHT. I WILL POS WHAT HAPPENS.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Last year when my sled was new I was running at 8000 rpm's because it FELT the fastest. Then I got out on an ice track and couldnt get over 105. Clicked down one and brought it to 7800 and picked up 11 mph just like that. This sled really falls on its face if you over rev. I agree it felt faster at 8000 but I think it was in my head because it was making more noise.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
machzrt1000 said:

Thanks in advance
machzrt1000
HAY.

If you check out my post "january29 testing at the lake" you will see what clicker positions do for top end,I stopped clicking down at 3 but should have tried 2 as I think I may have picked up another mph or so.

If you are still running the stock spring with 18.5 gram pins then you should run more mph clicked down to 2 or 1.

I know that on sunday my mach when on 3 sounded like it was bogging compared to it being set on 4 or 5 but pulled harder and more mph.

Also when running through the gun at 125.1 my speedo was saying 129-130mph.

·
Registered
206 Posts
turbo89 said:
machzrt1000 said:

Thanks in advance
machzrt1000
Seat of the pants doesnt always pan out, I know ive tried combinations in cars that
i could swear i felt like it had at least another 50hp, ran it at the track NO DEAL !
Went slower, GPS and RADARS DONT LIE,

I had a customer that refused to shift his car out any less than 6,000 RPM, kept complaining that "it should be faster" , I told him "shift it earlier like 5200-5300 it will go faster, he eventually did picked up 3 mph in the 1/4

it may feel faster at 8000 but reality may prove different, the motor could be making
10-15 hp less by over revving it .... thats alot to give up.
[snapback]687443[/snapback]​
Agreed! From my experience my fastest speeds have been generated around the 7600-7800 rpm range. The difference in speed from 8000 to 7700 for me was right around 8 miles an hour on the average with everything being stock other than clutching. This was in 1000 ft and not topped out but the difference is notable in the short run and one would assume about the same on top end. Like the man above said the only way to know is to get clocked. Cant just feel it. can be deceiving.

·
Registered
513 Posts
alrighty then.... I guess this weekend I got some clicker adjustments to make and see the difference in performance.

Would it benefit me to advance the timming on this sled or not. I've been hearing rhumors that if you advance your timming by a total of 1 degree it really wakes up the sled.

True or Not True

Guy's I can't thank you enough for the great info you have shared with me on this topic......

Thanks in advance
machzrt1000

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1BadHO said:
The 1 1/4 track will scrub some mph too. The guys runnin' the big numbers are using the stock 1"er.
[snapback]689305[/snapback]​
I'll agree with you with a 1 1/4 track will slow you down a little but I wouldn't think it would slow you down 15mph or so......

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 06 Mach Z X. I was up on Mary Lake, and the best I could do was 100mph at 8000rpm. The sled is stock with about 150km. Being a new sled I didn't hold it at wot for a long time but I figured a top end run would help the break in. The conditions were hardpack/ice on the lake with minimal wind. Would the fact that it is still new and under 200km mileage contribute to the meager 100 mph top end or is it just that I was overevving and not at its horsepower peak?
I have read some fellows doing 125-130mph I was curious how long at wot would it take to get from 100mph to 125mph assuming a stock sled?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
machzrt1000 said:
alrighty then.... I guess this weekend I got some clicker adjustments to make and see the difference in performance.

Would it benefit me to advance the timming on this sled or not. I've been hearing rhumors that if you advance your timming by a total of 1 degree it really wakes up the sled.

True or Not True

Guy's I can't thank you enough for the great info you have shared with me on this topic......

Thanks in advance
machzrt1000
[snapback]689281[/snapback]​
Get the timing so it runs @0 degree, then add 1 degree of timing and add more weight to (probably 1 small set screw) to the primary to get it back down to 7800-7850 @WOT. Then try it. It sounds like you are falling off the Power Curve.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.