Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I need help.

Looking to purchase a new sled and landed on what I would like - a 2014 Freeride.

Now the question is, should I get the 146" or the 137"?

I ride in Wisconsin, the UP, Colorado and Wyoming. The majority of the miles are had in WI and UP but the majority of the fun is usually CO and WY. I'm a pretty agressive trail rider and also enjoy playing in the powder when out west. My thought is that the 146" (roughly) length is the crossover length of the future, maybe somewhere between. As such, I would really prefer a 146". Problem is, the 146" only comes with tMotion. tMotion is supposed to be great in powder, but that wouldn't be my primary use.

So, has anyone had much agressive trail time with the tMotion? What would you suggest? Is it worth getting the 146" or should I just aim for the 137"?

It is worth noting that if I get the 146" I would purchase two tracks - the 2.5" that comes with it and a 1.357" Ice Ripper.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 2012 summit SP 800 e-tec T-motion like you i ride mostly Mn, Nd trails and ditches but also ride in Colo. Love the ride of the T-motion as for the length of the 154 never notice it at all, I ride with two 146's and the 154 rides better..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2012 summit SP 800 e-tec T-motion like you i ride mostly Mn, Nd trails and ditches but also ride in Colo. Love the ride of the T-motion as for the length of the 154 never notice it at all, I ride with two 146's and the 154 rides better..
Ever ride with 137's?

·
Large Member
1,610 Posts
I am going to order a 146 Summit X .
I am also going to go to a 1 3/4" or less track for Mn and U.P. riding.
Also buying the S-36 kit to swap to 42" stance for the trail. Comes with HPG R clicker shocks for $600.00
Should be a BCX on Steroids.

Swap it back to mountain mode when heading west. If I hate it I'll sell the parts and buy another trail sled and still have a 146" mountain sled. ( I'll just have to ask the wife...for forgiveness....if she finds out I have two)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes we ride with 4 of them... I had one until I bought the 154. I don't see myself going back to a shorter sled more travel better clearance, when trail gets chewed up it bridges it well were a shorter track does not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes we ride with 4 of them... I had one until I bought the 154. I don't see myself going back to a shorter sled more travel better clearance, when trail gets chewed up it bridges it well were a shorter track does not.
What about rotation in corners? How aggressive can you get?

·
Registered
75 Posts
As hard and fast as anybody, the guys we ride with here are known to ride 50-90 mph all day. I lead quite abit and nobody complaints about going to slow... lol I like the way it leans in the twistys alittle like a motorcycle and side-hilling takes a lot less effort

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have the same question I was looking at going from a backcountry to a 146, but mach z sounds like a 154 would be better, any other people have comments to help with my decision?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about rotation in corners? How aggressive can you get?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Here's something that might help since I was on the fence between a 146 and a 154 freeride also. You might want to take a look at the track options for a 154 vs 146 you have less short lug options for flatland/crossover type riding with a 154. That's my main reason going with a 146.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It corners and rotates very well, a 137 does alittle better but it is not going slow you down, these new summits are really great handling sleds..!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
146 Summit X has been the best sled I've ever owned. We do a lot of trail riding in WI and off trail in UP the sled just rips. Instead of spending the money I cut my track down to 1 3/4" and it works great. I installed a DJ low elevation clutch kit and went to a 25 tooth top gear for more top end on rail road grade etc. Also 8" of carbide up front handles unbelievable. IMO buy one you won't regret it!

·
Registered
793 Posts
I would think a 146 would be perfect for you. Everyone is always so scared to go up in track length but once they do they usually never want to go back.

Reactions: gilbert1000

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have an extra non t motion rear scissor and a ported 2.25 which with stock gearing on a stock 2010 got 94mph on the gps. the xp set up is a better trail sled than the xm. for hard trails i setup with suspension at 4 all the way around. for powder i go to 1 to 2 all the way around

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I have a 146 xm. Tmotion is fine on trails but not so great with bumps when you compare to rmotion. But who cares. Its fine for tight turns.

Its not the rear suspensiin that limits you on a 146 summit on trails. Its the front suspension.

But id never give up my deep snow handling for trail handling.

Only trail track available for 146 is 1.75 backcountry or ripsaw.

I bought the ripsaw and it hooks up very well as long as its not icy. Any more than a foot of snow though, and 2.5 is better.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Last season one of my riding Buddy was on a 137'' freeride (Treadway) and he could go anywhere we went so IMO, since you do lots of trails in the UP and WI you should go with the R-Motion, it is such a smooth suspension in rough terrain and being 137'' gives you that nimbly sensation you would get with the T-Motion in the backcountry.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts