Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I did some research but the info was back from 2011. Just wondering if that info has changed or not. So I'm curious to what top end kit you guys are using to rebuild. Was reading stuff about wiseco and spi. Is that good quality stuff or do you just go with oem. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
28,113 Posts
Alway use wiseco without issue...spi junk piston
Go with wiseco/wossner/oem..
I think your new clearance and the Boondocker really made a difference. After you responded to my questions on CMIQ I had this déjà-vu feeling. It took some time to remember, but back in Feb of 2013 you had a bad experience with Wiseco pistons on the MachZ with a clearance of 0.006" . After 1,000 km (620 miles) you found the engine began to chatter bad. After opening the top end you found the clearance on one piston to have grown to an unbelievable 0.0236" . You may remember because you had posted a video of Elvis Graton on DooTalk with Un chars qui parle which was hilarious.

What I find striking about your previous experience is that Bigboy69 just posted the same exact experience with his MachZ after 650 km (400 miles) on his motor. When I put the pieces together I could not believe the resemblance.

Here is the topic for Bigboy69 (click here)

For the video of how it sounded before he tore it down, click here.

For the pictures of what the cylinder looked like, click here.

Krusty 29 suffered the same problem with Wisco pistons on the MachZ, and Machzforme went up to 0.007" on his second set of Wiseco pistons for his MachZ and it still seized the piston. So far, there is no known person who has run a fully stock 1000 SDI engine with Wiseco pistons using the clearance provided by Wiseco, even with an added 1 thou clearance!!!! So obviously Wiseco did not fully test their piston clearance on this particular sled.

The funny thing is, the clearance shown on the Wossner box is even smaller @ 0.0055" . One Wossner distributor who specialized in Snowmobile parts and was highly recommended from the Wossner company, once told me that Wossner pistons for the MachZ needed more clearance than on the box. I was shy to mention this in earlier topics remembering the name Chad and this may be the same distributor we have seen posting on this forum. With my luck it will be the same guy, but it was a good conversation so I'm not worried.

So I have yet to see any proof that a stock 1000 SDI running a stock fuel/ignition calibration can run forged pistons safely under 0.008" regardless of what's written on the box. Maybe it is possible, but I have checked locally and in various forums with no luck. I have 4 sets of used OEM pistons under 10,000 miles that all show roughly 0.009" clearance. Considering that the MachZ has gone far beyond 10,000 miles on the same pistons, 0.008" doesn't sound unreasonable for a full stock MachZ.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm not up yet on all the tolerances and what not, but my engine guy said the wiseco (I had in my sled, started to 4 corner seize in both cylinders) need extra warm up time. He said wiseco pistons are exactly what they say they are for size, where our cylinders are "production" and are not as specific. So if you use any piston other than stock OEM, you need to double check tolerances.

He also believe that in the 1000 engines it's either OEM or wiseco pistons. He wasn't big on any others! It's all over my head at this point, so I'm trusting his opinion!

He thought all OEM should still be checked, but on the assemble line you might see 1 tolerance/clearance problem out of 500 sleds so it's much safer to use the OEM stuff. Not sure if you all would agree, but it made sense to me, so I'll be going all OEM in the coming weeks!

·
Premium Member
28,113 Posts
OEM or Wiseco?......OEM or Wiseco??!......OEM or [email protected]#$%...... :bighair

:rofl

·
Registered
281 Posts
OEM or Wiseco?......OEM or Wiseco??!......OEM or [email protected]#$%...... :bighair

:rofl
from what i've learned (not much) if your really good with the gauges and specs and tolerances wiseco is probably a better piston.

if your me, not good with any of the before mentioned things....OEM!!

but........again i really don't know a whole lot, just what others say!!

·
Premium Member
28,113 Posts
Most of us are in the same boat. It is a tough deal to own a 1K. I estimate that 99% of sled owners believe the 1000 SDI was poorly designed and not adequately tested, and probably just as much for shop owners and techs. So where does that leave us?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I think that leaves us....confused. LOL

I think Wiseco have their place with this particular motor, and there are people who have success.

For the average owner, it's not a concern they should have, OEM is one less potential headache and woulda/coulda/shoulda for the average Joe. Like me.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Anybody mention the crank ? If you lose the top end pieces end up in the isoflex that will blow in 200 to 500 miles after tops done . hope this helps . JJR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts