Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday five of us went down to redfield to get gas,we crossed the lake and headed up twards ceder pines. When we got to the top of the hill we got pulled over because my brother has a aftermarket pipe on the sled. The guy told us it was illegal in the state of n.y. to have anything aftermarket on it. We then left after he got his ticket and went to barrows performance, and a guy was in there and went through the same sh&% we did. Everywhere you go you hear a diffrent story. I think its a bunch of bullsh&% myself. Is it illegal or not? Let us know, thanx!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey man i know they are illegal in some states , im not sure about new york. but personally residents are tired of hearing these annoying aftermarket exausts. this is one of the reasons alot of trails get closed. just my 2 cents on the subject.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Spike06 said:
anything other than stock exhaust in NY is illegal. Its been that way for a couple years now atleast. Must have been too many land owners complaining about the noise.
[snapback]719076[/snapback]​
The way the law is written is waaaay to F'ed up. Someone yesterday posted it word-for-word. The problem is that anything other than stock is illegal.

So - I could be the geneus that I am and put on an exhaust system that is not only quieter than stock, but more friendly on the emmisions side, and that would be illegal. Figure that out....

The lwa shoul dbe geared on noise level, not stock or non-stock

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright, thanks for the info. We never knew that. I can see why landowners dont want the noise. I dont understand if its the law, why we werent told about it before. we were stopped in the morning and they let us go. i guess the guy was just being a jackass. oh well, thanks for the info.

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
It's not the responsibility of the state to inform you of laws. It's your responsibility to inform yourself of any laws that may pertain to whatever activity you're involved in. I know you've heard the expression "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"

Personal responsibility is a pet peeve of mine. We're all big boys and girls here...take responsibilty for your actions regardless of the consequences. You are a role model to someone whether you know it or not. Be a good one.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
biggziff said:
It's not the responsibility of the state to inform you of laws. It's your responsibility to inform yourself of any laws that may pertain to whatever activity you're involved in. I know you've heard the expression "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"

Personal responsibility is a pet peeve of mine. We're all big boys and girls here...take responsibilty for your actions regardless of the consequences. You are a role model to someone whether you know it or not. Be a good one.
[snapback]719259[/snapback]​
Thank You...Thank You...Thank You, my thoughts exactly. you hit the nail right on the head.

·
Straight out a Compton!
4,065 Posts
coachluciano said:
Spike06 said:
anything other than stock exhaust in NY is illegal. Its been that way for a couple years now atleast. Must have been too many land owners complaining about the noise.
[snapback]719076[/snapback]​
The way the law is written is waaaay to F'ed up. Someone yesterday posted it word-for-word. The problem is that anything other than stock is illegal.

So - I could be the geneus that I am and put on an exhaust system that is not only quieter than stock, but more friendly on the emmisions side, and that would be illegal. Figure that out....

[snapback]719102[/snapback]​
I've gotten pulled over a few times(routine checks) when I had my dyno port can and they never said a word. Just checking reg. and insurance. Pulled over in clarence, franklinville. Was stopped in springville one time and the sherriff was a real d!ck to me. I was 13 at the time and he said he could have the sled taken away, put on a flat bed and would have to pick it up at the impound. Being the way I am I told him it came like that and I dont have the money to replace it. He said because of my age he will let me go. Go figure.

·
Registered
53 Posts

[snapback]719102[/snapback]​
[/quote

Do you realistically think that there going to pull a sled over that is not obnoxious sounding or riding like a complete a$$ and go through it like a tech inspection and give you a ticket if it is not stock? if you have an aftermarket piece of exhaust equipment and put it on your sled and ride it and it doesn not make the decibel level of your snowmobile too loud, there not going to bother you. i have a dyno port pipe on my 2002 mxz 800 with a stock can and have yet to be even questioned about it at registration checks. sleds with cans are obnoxious anyways and alls they can do is make noise, there is no power gain in a can, and i dont care what the manufacturer says about em you do not gain any power, just a really obnoxious snowmobile..

·
Registered
639 Posts
common sense....don't use loud cans but how can they tell you what can you can use? If the law says you can only run stock than is the law wrong and breaking the law for telling you what type of equipment you can puchase?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I also got the same ticket for a exhaust mod.

My question is , are you going to pay the fine ? Im not sure what to do,some say too ,some say not too !!
The hill was great last weekend , exept for the 4 times we got pulled over!

·
Super Moderator
29,711 Posts
We rode last night. One guy in our group has a Dynoport can, as it was on the sled when he bought it. It’s not too bad, but it’s there. While we were gassing up a group of Poos came in. One was piped and VERY obnoxious. A little later we got stopped for the usual checks and everything was OK. We later saw the Poo getting an invitation to leave a little extra $$$ in Lewis County. 99% of the time it's easy to tell who is getting the ticket and who isn't.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I have gotten stopped at the Pitcher Rd and Olin Rd stop five times last weekend and EVERY time I went thru there with my Bender canister on stock pipe cops said nothing!!! My sled is legal and i just tone down the throttle when I approach the cops... They have never said anything about the can... Even if they do I could care less as their tickets mean nothing.. I garee some guys have pipes that are way too loud but I just have the canister for reducing weight.. And the Bender can is very quiet compared to Dynoport and some of the others...

Its true the NYS law states ANYTHING other than stock is illegal but they also NEVER give tickets to the Harley boys whose pipes shake the walls in houses. When the Harley boys start getting tickets then I will remove my can. And don't give me the bikes are running on public highway crap, those bikes are twice as loud as ANY sled and they sound like crap....

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I hear that about Harley's and whatever else on the road. However I have to agree if I had to listen to 100+ sleds a day going by my house all hours day and night with loud exhaust, I'd loose it too. Do you have sleds running through your backyard day and night like that and then get up to goto work, year after year, and this person owning the property your waking up and "edit for bad language" off is going to keep letting that happen? A harley will go by every so often, sleds come by in packs and just don't quit-day and night. You understand the meaning of trails closing. Happens every year. So even though I don't mind the exhaust thing too much I hate what it does to our land owners. Yes I know loud exhaust is not the only reason for trails closing but it's with out a doubt in the top three reasons. Think big picture not just about yourself right? Mountain/distant area riders-this probably doesn't apply to you and understand that but it sure as hell does to CNY. You can't argue that point. Join a club and you be the one to figure out how to get the next trail through from A to B since the original one has closed. Tunes will change then. Better yet just ride a dry, paved or dirt and stone road for 4-5 miles because the trail closed. Just getting tired of more and more trails closing after all the hard work people put into it so everyone can enjoy and then it goes to waste. OK done ranting!

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
if you have an aftermarket piece of exhaust equipment and put it on your sled and ride it and it doesn not make the decibel level of your snowmobile too loud, there not going to bother you.
I agree, even if it is illegal they will NOT bother you- its not performance they are limiting it is strictly noise... at least at this time they are not worrying about the environmental concerns... that comes next-

EVERYONE with a loud exhaust needs to be ticketed first, then impound sleds for the hard heads next!

if you don't like the law change it, to ignore them hurts us all... I realize most with loud sleds could care less about the rest of the folks... but that does not change the facts...

Its second only to drunks on my trail-peeves list... thankfully my list only contains two items!

but if you want to say FU to your fellow sledders by all means, get a loud pipe!

·
Sponsors
2,971 Posts
revgod said:
I have gotten stopped at the Pitcher Rd and Olin Rd stop five times last weekend and EVERY time I went thru there with my Bender canister on stock pipe cops said nothing!!! My sled is legal and i just tone down the throttle when I approach the cops... They have never said anything about the can... Even if they do I could care less as their tickets mean nothing.. I garee some guys have pipes that are way too loud but I just have the canister for reducing weight.. And the Bender can is very quiet compared to Dynoport and some of the others...

Its true the NYS law states ANYTHING other than stock is illegal but they also NEVER give tickets to the Harley boys whose pipes shake the walls in houses. When the Harley boys start getting tickets then I will remove my can. And don't give me the bikes are running on public highway crap, those bikes are twice as loud as ANY sled and they sound like crap....
[snapback]720834[/snapback]​
Thanks for giving snowmobiling a good image. Remove your can or we will all be riding on the streets with the "Harley boys" Oh and I'm sure my opinion will "mean nothing" to you.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Where i ride the cops try to pull ya over but they don't get very close to me since all they are driving is tundras and polaris fans i just laugh and pin the throttle. sometimes they will chase you but it doesn't take much to out run them. kind of fun actauly But my sled isn't even that loud, the reason why i don't stop is becasue of no insurance . thats a big fine up here:doomOOn:

·
Sponsors
2,971 Posts
FZ583X said:
Where i ride the cops try to pull ya over but they don't get very close to me since all they are driving is tundras and polaris fans i just laugh and pin the throttle. sometimes they will chase you but it doesn't take much to out run them. kind of fun actauly But my sled isn't even that loud, the reason why i don't stop is becasue of no insurance . thats a big fine up here:doomOOn:
[snapback]721407[/snapback]​
How old are you?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts