Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode my wife's new sled tonight for the first time. It has the electronic throttle. Question is what mode does my 2013 cable throttle equal, it felt like sport mode was the closest match.

·
Registered
602 Posts
from riding a 600 and a 900, sport mode felt close to the cable feel but still a bit sluggish. Prob get used to it after a while but i prefer the cable setup over the fly by wire. Simpler as well, less to break down.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My "old" 2011 unit now sounds like a good deal. Sometimes I wonder if the engineers at BRP have gotten too carried away with the whiz-bang deal. (and a lot of other engineers too) Wish they'd offer a sled /engine combo that you didn't need a computer and degree in rocket science to get going and get back home when the thing goes nuts on ya'.

·
Registered
643 Posts
This surprises me. I would expect that cable throttle to be most similar to Standard mode.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I would expect that cable throttle to be most similar to Standard mode.
This is what I recall reading/hearing.

Standard = Common = Cable Throttle

I like ITC. I use Standard for most of the trails I ride. I do enjoy finding sections of trail were Sport mode is a good match. I use ECO mode for loading/unloading the trailer and also in the tight twisties.

·
Registered
602 Posts
With cable you have instant response, when thumb moves the throttle plate moves.
With the Itc your thumb moves, signal goes to Ecm, then It gauges what you want and then sends the signal to the throttle body.
This all takes time and makes for a sluggish response. You get used to it and start applying throttle ahead of time to compensate for the lag.
Even in sport mode.
Sadly this is the way of the future in ski doo.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
With cable you have instant response, when thumb moves the throttle plate moves.
With the Itc your thumb moves, signal goes to Ecm, then It gauges what you want and then sends the signal to the throttle body.
This all takes time and makes for a sluggish response. You get used to it and start applying throttle ahead of time to compensate for the lag.
Even in sport mode.
?????? ok

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Any lag you are noticing is just the low power of the 600 ACE anyway. The electronics are much faster than you could ever perceive.

Reactions: MinnDave

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Even in sport mode.
I completely disagree with this.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I figured that Sport mode was an enhanced mode, meant for high performance; Standard would be meant for most applications and that would make most sense for a configuration with only one option, such as a cable setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Even in sport mode.
Tundra 300, have you ridden a sled with iTC?

You seem to understand the system but not the programming possibilities associated with the three mode options.

When you move the flipper, the ECM sees that signal (voltage change) in a tiny fraction of a second. The ECM then looks at the mode value (store in RAM memory) and uses it to determine (through a map) what increment it should provide to the throttle plate driver. Again, tiny fractions of a second and it can account for any lag in it's processing by "boosting" the output to the throttle plate driver.

The ECM is a computer and can process internal instructions (program) faster that you can blink. Try moving your thumb faster than you can blink.

In ECO mode the input to the throttle driver is intentionally muted. It is purposely delayed. And even if you hold the flipper at max, the ECM will not fully open the throttle plate.

In Sport Mode the opposite is true. The input to the throttle driver is intentionally amplified. Meaning it overdrives the throttle driver so you get a exaggerated essentially "superhuman response". It could drive the throttle plate faster than you could operate it with a cable if the programmers wanted it to. BRP decides what the feel of the acceleration should be and IMO they nailed it.

IMO Standard mode is the linear response or maybe it leans a little toward Sport to insure no lag feeling. I am not sure if it holds back WOT.

This is not a sad story for the future.

Just think, if steering was controlled by wire, darting could be almost completely eliminated.

If suspension was designed to use computer controlled electronic damping a sled could ride like a magic carpet.

Yes they would cost more and would be more expensive to fix but hey, when has that stopped companies from developing the next big thing?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
On modern 2 and 4 strokes with EFI, opening the throttle plate is not the only thing that has to happen to get the rpms off idle.

The TPS (throttle position sensor) outputs to the ECM and it in turn used several inputs (air temp, coolant temp, manifold absolute pressure, etc) and picks a fuel trim value from a map and drives the injector coil.

I think most people like the response of the modern EFI better than a carb.

Again, be glad not sad about computers/electronics in recreational vehicles.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I like the idea of computer valved shocks! I bet they are working on that already. Might need a "mogul scanning radar" in the front of the sled to identify and classify upcoming bumps. (And keep your riding buddy's back side warm if you tailgate close enough) :)

I have always dreamed of a computer controlled clutch shift... you develop your own personal programs / modes.

That'd all be cool, except if the sled costs $20k!

But I'll go against the grain here and back up Tundra 300: some things - "primary" controls (throttle, steering, and brake) I prefer to have direct control over.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
One other very cool feature that was introduced with iTC is the ability to move the flipper forward on the bar.

I prefer it forward and cannot see any condition under which I would put it back to behind the bar.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
But I'll go against the grain here and back up Tundra 300: some things - "primary" controls (throttle, steering, and brake) I prefer to have direct control over.
Your anti locking brake system on your car/truck is not in your direct control yet it is an improvement over the human response.

I know this first hand as mine is broke and I locked up on an icy road and damaged my beloved Audi Quattro. :sad_old:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Your anti locking brake system on your car/truck is not in your direct control yet it is an improvement over the human response.
Yeah, you have a valid point. Guess it comes down to proven technology: like abs or stability contol in cars (exept Audi ???? ) vs new concepts put into production too soon (sled efi in the 80s and 90s).

Brings an idea for a new gen topic thread: Ideas for Future Technologies. Your e-shocks, my e-clutches... add FLIR (forward looking infrared) that detects and warns of oncoming traffic, groomers, deer, dog teams... hatless (?) x/c skiers on the trail ahead.

·
Registered
213 Posts
i thought the itc is just as fast in sport mode as a cable unit. It just feels "soft" because there's no cable to pull. But I think 2 modes would always be enough for me. 3 is kinda overkill.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
i thought the itc is just as fast in sport mode as a cable unit. It just feels "soft" because there's no cable to pull. But I think 2 modes would always be enough for me. 3 is kinda overkill.
I agree, i'm either in eco (not too often) and mainly in sport, standard i have not found much a use for as of YET??

1 - 20 of 36 Posts