Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, hopefully you can give me some insight here.

My throttle cable snapped on me about a week ago. I ordered a replacement cable from MFGSUPPLY - part number 05-957. In the picture it appears to be exactly what I need - one cable to the rack carbs, and one to the oil pump.

The cable showed up the other day, I went about installing it and noted that the oil pump section of the cable is too short...with the threaded part of the cable maxed all the way out in the oil pump bracket, The cable is too short causing the oil pump lever to be too far open. The cable itself is plenty long to reach there, I'm just out of adjustment capability.

Doing some searching it appears that the cable has been discontinued from Ski-Doo. The only other part number I can find is Kimpex, part # 05-140-07.

Would this cable be any different? Or am I looking in the wrong places? Any other ideas to make what I have work?

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Why not cut off about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, or what ever amount is appropriate of the outer shield of the cable which would provide you with more cable and adjustability.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you explain?

The way I mock it up, the threaded portion of the oil pump cable has to be about 1/2" past the oil pump bracket to get the correct amount of cable to the pump lever.

How would trimming the outer shield give me more cable?

I'm a little stuck here. Perhaps I'll order the kimpex cable and see if it's any better

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Or do you mean trim the outer shield and slide the threaded rod portion up the cable to gain that extra clearance? I think I understand what you mean, I will give it a shot.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Or do you mean trim the outer shield and slide the threaded rod portion up the cable to gain that extra clearance? I think I understand what you mean, I will give it a shot.

Thanks!
Exactly what I meant. I used to do it with bicycle break cables, same principle.
In this case though it's a little more tricky because the inner cable can't be pulled out of the outer shield which would allow you to simply snip off what ever you needed then push the cable back in.
I was thinking about maybe trying a pipe cutter for this job seeing that the cable can't be pulled through.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's exactly what i was thinking - I have a tubing cutter I use for cutting brake lines.

That sounds bad. I use it for making brake lines.

LOL!

Thanks,

Jeremy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts