·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys think of the new throttle by wire personally I don't like it

1) eco mode =worthless should call it trailer mode

2) standard= mode to much lag

3) sport mode= to touchy in the rough stuff

I say put it back to the cable if you want it to go squeeze it/ if you don't want to go don't want to go don't squeeze it

P.S

can you say wait up for me when I come out of a corner of the rough stuff and you want to nail it I have to switch it to sport mode so I can catch up with the group just saying we all have opinions

·
Super Moderator
29,343 Posts
I like Eco mode for backing into the garage.

I like Sport mode for everything else.

For me, I found Standard mode to be useless. I need throttle response, standard is way too lazy for me.

So overall I'd give it a big :righton . It's nice to have a choice, and I'm using 2 out of 3 modes. I like it.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Been seeing the twitchy/touchy comments from a few others about sport mode. What do you mean and what does it behave like?

·
Registered
37 Posts
On my 2011 1200 I had to retrain my thumb
Coming off a 600 ho was hard to do but getting better at it
Got 13000 miles on the 1200 renegade love it
Don't know if the drive by wire has more jump or not but the 1200 is jumpy
use to get sore arms and hands from hanging on

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
I agree......im not super keen on the iTC so far. Sure i'm getting used to it, but would probably be happier with cable.

Now in the same token, the XR i rode once with cable, i did not like at all! But that sled must have been just not correct as It had a very odd throttle delivery. But i was used to my etec at that time.

I will be the first to say, i bet we will see a reflash for the iTC delivery for next season, as so many are talking about the sport mode being too touchy. Nice thing is it can all likely be tweaked with software. Would be nice if guys like James can get into these settings.

Dan

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I've said it before, but will try to illustrate with pictures what I mean..... use the inside of your palm, or ride with your left hand as far left on the throttle as you can..

eco= great for loading or unloading, or gas stations that plow every flake of snow off of their parking lot
standard= great for beginner or cruising
sport= awesome, you just have to know how to use it to not have it be so "jumpy" or "twitchy" which seems to be the complaint from some 1200 owners

.... image.jpg how not to ride the throttle in sport mode

image.jpg . How to ride in sport

image.jpg . Dangerous in sport with throttle flipped

Attachments

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Been seeing the twitchy/touchy comments from a few others about sport mode. What do you mean and what does it behave like?
I could maybe explain it in reference to drag racing sleds.

Standard takes off like you have no studs

Sport takes off like you have chisels

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
My 09 has been touchy from the get go, especially with a clutch kit in it. It will literally jump out from under you. Happened to a friend of mine when he hopped on the running sled. Good thing it was out in the open. Not for a novice.......

And no, I don't ride with my thumb on the end of the flipper. I use the "ball" of my thumb as close to the hinge point of the flipper as I can get it. That is how I explain it to others when they want to try it. Second thing I tell them, make sure you have both hands on the bars and both have a grip.

·
Registered
234 Posts
yep, I've almost put mine in the rhubarb twice when running Sport mode in the rough trails....way too touchy.

I've decided to use Standard mode, when the trails are rough and/or "early season" conditions.

·
Super Moderator
29,343 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but IMO Sport is about perfect. It's all about throttle control and response. I find the LACK of response in Standard mode to be more of an issue than the quick (instant) response in Sport mode.

In Standard mode if you need the throttle to pop over trail junk good luck.

In Sport mode it will pop like an 800.

I find no downside to Sport mode, I see no upside to Standard - but again, thats just me and my riding style - and I'm thankful they gave us options.

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
Rocker, you would seemingly be the last person I would think of that would want a de-tune in sport mode... just sayin
HAHA.....the way i see it, the iTC is "exaggerating" or "Minimizing" the throttle plates movement. ECO highly minimizes/delays the movement of the plate, and on the other side sport highly increases the plates actions. So a slight movement of the thumb is now a longer movement of the plate.

My guess is they can easily tweak the software to make it a tad more user friendly, but not introduce "delay" like standard does.

Also, this is only an issue for me on crazy moguled trails we have here now as the low snow has kept our groomers at bay. Normally the trails are mint, and sport will be used nearly always. So i just tapped back to standard for yesterdays moguls and was fine.

Im sure ill be more used to it with groomed trails and more time on the clock....only rode mine 2 days so far .lol

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
yep, I've almost put mine in the rhubarb twice when running Sport mode in the rough trails....way too touchy.

I've decided to use Standard mode, when the trails are rough and/or "early season" conditions.
I think you hit the nail on head here....

certain trails in sport are bad news. I know on the good trails I ran and lake of course, sport was always wanted and needed. Anything less on the good trails/lake runs is a slug.

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
Don't have a 1200 with it, but have a 900 with it. Agree overall I am not a fan of iTC and would prefer cable throttle if I could choose. Nonetheless, what's done is done...and we will get what we get.

And a couple months ago I predicted this exact conversation would occur...there will be a love/hate relationship with iTC now and forever. No consensus will ever be reached. If anyone cares read last paragraph in my post #49.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1169273-ace-900-or-1200/page-4

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I love the ITC, but I guess I'm kind of use to it. I have 2 Sparks with the 900HO motors with ITC, But there is only 2 modes (touring, sport). Like I said before during spring check the sport mode launches hard and is twichy. When riding the Sparks, it goes to touring upon start up. So I use it for just starting out, in no wake zones or coming back to the dock. Rest of the time it's in sports mode. As for my 1200, use eco for pulling in and out of garage, standard for tight twisties, sport for rip roaring RR grades or when I want to just let it rip. Everybody rides different, but for me I'm guide they have it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am a big fan of sport mode and use Eco for loading and unloading. I had a harder time getting used to the low clutch engagement than the ITC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 67 Posts