Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My search shows basically a threaded press type anvil clip tool or a bolt cutter style crimp tool. Appears the threaded anvil type can be used to install clips while the track is still on the sled. VS the crimp style tool with long arms which appears must be used with the track off the sled. Other than taking the track out, seems the crimp tool with the long arms might be the easier way to install clips? I plan on re clipping the complete 136 track. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
Manual track clip tool with the track on the sled = PITA and sux but is doable. Done both ways and for me if the track is really in very good shape then I will pull the skid (not a biggie), then replace clips with a track that is easier to manipulate.

Only if the track is in really excellent shape and a track I love is to me really worth the work of -re-clipping which is vastly easier to do with the skid out otherwise at this stage - out with the trackshaft then going with a new track and forget the re-clipping biz.

Removal and re-install of the clip is the PITA process. Doable but I only would if the track is primo and one I love.

Be good to your hyfax and replacement interval along with snow riding conditions and less of a need to ever consider replacing clips. I have had several tracks over 10K miles and clips were fine, lugs were toast but clips were still fine.

My .0002

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Track has about 12000 km and is in excellent shape. ( most riding has been done in good snow conditions ). I love the track plus I have time on my hands...Kinda baffles me why clips are worn out. Sliders are good and if memory is correct I'm only on my second set of sliders for this track. Track tension has always been on the loose side. I will probably remove the track to do the install. Now hoping the rest of the clips will hold on till the end of the season.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not good to only do some of the clips. You will get a lot of vibration. Do them all or buy a new track.doing them yourself is never as good as factory anyways. Use that track for a traction mat in your trailor,buy a new track and dont look back!lol

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I use to have an 87 Formula Plus I'd have to put a dozen on every morning in the motel parking lot.

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
Ya don't have to yank out the track just pull the skid. With the skid out and the rear bumper up in the air you can drape the loose track over a sawhorse or other low work surface or the like, have a seat and go to work. Is much easier pita to do versus trying to navigate in and around with the skid in.

As mentioned, if all the clips are basically worn even-ish then you need to replace all of them otherwise your track will be out of balance and can vibrate badly. The only time I would consider replacing one or a few is if one or a few fell off the track for some odd reason I would want the new clip going on to be as even in thickness and weight as I can with the existing clips. So if want to do one or a few then I would pull off an existing one, micrometer the thickness and weigh the old clip versus the new one going in. Then take off enough material on the new clip to get them as close as the existing on the track.

You can get a similar out of balance effect if you have an incorrect stud pattern or enough studs missing in an area to create enough un-balance and cause vibration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts