Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read DooTalk often for the past 3 years. I have used it more this year than ever given I am a first time Mach Z owner. What amazes me is how few responses a person gets when they post something positive about their sled. For example, "squidman" had 3 replies to his post which was a positive review about his Mach Z. I had zero responses to my similar post. Yet, there are several multiple page posts to topics that explicitly address problems with the Mach Z. I know I would be very unhappy and vocal if my $11,000 sled was a dog so believe me, I am not saying these posts are unjustified. That being said, does the lack or replies to postive posts indicate there are very few other happy customers or is it instead that this site is used mostly by people who are having problems? If the later, maybe they should rename the forum to be more explicit. It's disheartening when you take the time to post a positive thread an nobody bothers to reply. Sorry if I have offended anybody. That is not my intent. It's just simply to state that this forum has gone from being very neutral and informative to something all together different.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have to agree with you.
I have received some great information off this site .
I have a 1000x renagade and love it . I have had all updates.
and have put 1500 miles with a few little bugs but nothing to trash the brand
for .It would seem nice to see more positives on this site.
Also does the word resale hit home --- positive reveiws brings more$$$
negative hurts all that own !

·
Registered
697 Posts
I hope that I can say the same about my new Mach Z that I just picked up. It is an 05 with all the 06 up-dates done. I have been a very loyal and faithfull Ski Doo owner and supporter for many years now. This site is one I really just started to be on very much in the past month or so. I purchesed my new Mach Z to have a very dependable and long lasting sled much like my past Ski Doo sleds (99 Formula DLX 380F(wifes sled), 01 MXZ 800x, 02 MXZ 700 herritage, 98 Yamaha SX 600 Ohlins pkg.my first snowmobile I owned). After reading more into these posts about all the negative things that are being said about BRP and this sled in perticular (05 Mach Z), I am really second guessing my purchase for the first time from BRP. I hope this sled lasts for along time and doesn't cause me more headaches than it is worth, but any and all manufacturers have problems with there products from time to time. It has been my good fortune that BRP has been very helpfull and supportive of there products and stands by them. I think that the majority of most of the problems I have been reading about on this site could have been addressed by a reputable dealer during the set up before the units where delivered. Most of the poeple who are complaining about having mechanical problems with there sled have several aftermarket products or modifications done to their sled ie: high comp. heads, clutch kits, changed mapping, ect.......). If you don't [email protected]#$%##%% with it, and ride it the way it was designed to be riden, I bet the majority of the problems most are expeirencing will not be. Granted there are going to be problems that arrise on any machine but the Mach Z is the flagg ship of BRP and every one that bought it got it for that reason, it is a go fast, muscle machine. But these back yard mechanics that think this very technologicaly advanced two stroke is the same type of two stroke they have been "porting" with a hand grinder, cutting heads on and generaly just tinkering around with for the past 15-20 years they are going to have lots of problems with it. This new engine is a computer controled and monitored piece of technology that must be worked on by a professional. That it why (unfortunatly) we have to pay the big bucks per hour at the shop to have the "BRP certified" mechanics fix all the stuff you guys are complaining about. My 1979 Ford was very eazy to fix and work on, My 05 Dodge 2500 cummings turbo Diesel is a whole nother ball game and I wouldn't think of trying to work on it. Bottom line...leave the "tinkering" to the professionals at the shop, and the sleds will have fewer problems, or do it your self, but don't complain all the time that it doesn't work.

Just my two cents

·
Registered
270 Posts
Very well said guys...I have on 05 mach that I absolutly love, by far the best sled I have ever owned, I also feel for the people having the major problems, hope BRP come thru for them.....The Brand bashing is nothing but a waste of time. It serves no purpose other than to start up a pissin match....To each his own in the sled department we all should be happy there are other competition out there...
Enjoy the rest of the winter...

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I disagree with you on this. Most of the complaining is because the motors were stock. The domes that some are installing are the same or real close to stock-I thought this motor was so smart that it would not matter if you put hi-comp domes in it the knock sensor would save the motor. Mapping changes are done by the dealer's "certified mechanics" using that term very loosely. Most dealers have one guy that is certified and the rest are kids off the street. All of last year I can recall 2 burndowns on this board-this year with the updates from BRP there are that many every Monday-or more. Guys had the same mods last year-why did they not blow up then?
I have a question for you-is your clutching stock with hollow pins and in clicker 6-just like it came from the factory??? If it isn't you better put it back where it came from the factory so it doesn't blow up. Of course you will be beaten by 600's but the sled will last a long time??? I will speak for myself only-I have been wrenching and tuning on both cars and sleds for most of my 46 years-and will continue to do that. If I cannot clutch a sled to beat the guys on the lake without it blowing up-well I will sell everything and get out of it.
This motor is just an air pump like all other motors-improperly done mods will harm all of them-the electronics on this motor should allow it to last longer even with mods. That being said my motor was 100% stock when it blew up-and that is what is iritating me and others on this site. The update from BRP last fall included resetting the oil pump-all who had it done should check their oil consumption-including you-and make an unauthorized change to your oiling system. Do it only if you want your sled to last a long time.

That being said this sled is the best I have ever owned-love the riding position and the handling-only after changing the shocks could I actually run it thru any bumps. I guess we expected more than we got for our $10000 hard earned dollars.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
tbrand said:
Very well said guys...I have on 05 mach that I absolutly love, by far the best sled I have ever owned, I also feel for the people having the major problems, hope BRP come thru for them.....The Brand bashing is nothing but a waste of time. It serves no purpose other than to start up a pissin match....To each his own in the sled department we all should be happy there are other competition out there...
Enjoy the rest of the winter...
[snapback]738875[/snapback]​
There must be a different model Mach Z out there than the ones my friends and I have. Best sled ever.

·
Registered
270 Posts
"That Girl" I said best sled I ever owned, not the best sled ever..."Misquote"

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't own a Mach Z but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night and it is the best sled ever.........

Actually I was able to ride one from a dealer last weekend and any body on here that says those things are not fast ....... you need to work on your setup... I cranked it and the next thing I know I am at 110 and this thing was just starting to go to work. Stuff breaks as long as BRP gets it fixed and turned around in a few days no complaints here.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
mine is fantastic! done alot of the usual bolt on stuff and it remains un beaten in my area in 660-1000ft mainly along with top end. it has 2600 miles and even last saturday I whaled on it through about 15 races in a row with NO issues

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I am very happy(95%) with the way this sled works,
But I do believe that BRP could have done a lot better job on the programing.

For a box stock sled to run in 125's out of the box is very impressive and to also get 16-18 mpg is amazing for the power on tap.

Fix the inconsistancy, and I would be 100% satisfied.

Cliff

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
adrenalator8 said:
I am very happy(95%) with the way this sled works,
But I do believe that BRP could have done a lot better job on the programing.

For a box stock sled to run in 125's out of the box is very impressive and to also get 16-18 mpg is amazing for the power on tap.

Fix the inconsistancy, and I would be 100% satisfied.

Cliff
[snapback]738951[/snapback]​
thats seems to be the biggest gripe. well said. it took me alot of time to get mine dialed in so it was consistent.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well i had an 05 mach only fouled a few sets of plugs and changed to 8's put 4000 miles on not a single complaint. It ran so beautiful and and got such great fuel milage could always get 127 on the dream meter. Then i had updates on it and sold it without ever ridding it ,and the guy that bought It, I talk with him frequently and now the sled has issues
So there is somthing that has change the way this sled performs. And now the 1000 gade OPP'S! i better not say i wouldn't want to effect the resale
But i can tell u one thing its an awsome sled 4 long trips in the RIDE department

·
Registered
95 Posts
Matt Wells said:
I hope that I can say the same about my new Mach Z that I just picked up. It is an 05 with all the 06 up-dates done. I have been a very loyal and faithfull Ski Doo owner and supporter for many years now. This site is one I really just started to be on very much in the past month or so. I purchesed my new Mach Z to have a very dependable and long lasting sled much like my past Ski Doo sleds (99 Formula DLX 380F(wifes sled), 01 MXZ 800x, 02 MXZ 700 herritage, 98 Yamaha SX 600 Ohlins pkg.my first snowmobile I owned). After reading more into these posts about all the negative things that are being said about BRP and this sled in perticular (05 Mach Z), I am really second guessing my purchase for the first time from BRP. I hope this sled lasts for along time and doesn't cause me more headaches than it is worth, but any and all manufacturers have problems with there products from time to time. It has been my good fortune that BRP has been very helpfull and supportive of there products and stands by them. I think that the majority of most of the problems I have been reading about on this site could have been addressed by a reputable dealer during the set up before the units where delivered. Most of the poeple who are complaining about having mechanical problems with there sled have several aftermarket products or modifications done to their sled ie: high comp. heads, clutch kits, changed mapping, ect.......). If you don't [email protected]#$%##%% with it, and ride it the way it was designed to be riden, I bet the majority of the problems most are expeirencing will not be. Granted there are going to be problems that arrise on any machine but the Mach Z is the flagg ship of BRP and every one that bought it got it for that reason, it is a go fast, muscle machine. But these back yard mechanics that think this very technologicaly advanced two stroke is the same type of two stroke they have been "porting" with a hand grinder, cutting heads on and generaly just tinkering around with for the past 15-20 years they are going to have lots of problems with it. This new engine is a computer controled and monitored piece of technology that must be worked on by a professional. That it why (unfortunatly) we have to pay the big bucks per hour at the shop to have the "BRP certified" mechanics fix all the stuff you guys are complaining about. My 1979 Ford was very eazy to fix and work on, My 05 Dodge 2500 cummings turbo Diesel is a whole nother ball game and I wouldn't think of trying to work on it. Bottom line...leave the "tinkering" to the professionals at the shop, and the sleds will have fewer problems, or do it your self, but don't complain all the time that it doesn't work.

Just my two cents

[snapback]738795[/snapback]​
Well I have to say. I have been on the site a whole lot lately, mostly reading and trying to educate myself. The only reason I found this site is because I purchased an 06 1000X renegade and it has not run right since the day I picked it up. There have been zero mods done to it and it has the same issues as some of the sleds that have had mods done to them. So before you lump all the issues into one catagory of people causing their own problems, you should spend a few hours and read some previous posts. I also have not seen a lot of brand bashing going on. I have only seen frustrated people who have spent a "edit for bad language" load of money and can't ride their sleds. This is my first Doo, and other with the engine problems I am very happy with it, the best sled I have owned. All I want is to be able to ride it and not have to worry about being 200 miles from home and having it go down. BRP is going to release their 07's next week. I would love nothing more than to order another Renegade or Mach, but they have 2 years of SDI's that they can't figure out, what do you think the chances are they have next years dialed in? This problem is also not just related to the 1000's. There are also a lot of 600's with the same issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
mot said:
I have read DooTalk often for the past 3 years. I have used it more this year than ever given I am a first time Mach Z owner. What amazes me is how few responses a person gets when they post something positive about their sled. For example, "squidman" had 3 replies to his post which was a positive review about his Mach Z. I had zero responses to my similar post. Yet, there are several multiple page posts to topics that explicitly address problems with the Mach Z. I know I would be very unhappy and vocal if my $11,000 sled was a dog so believe me, I am not saying these posts are unjustified. That being said, does the lack or replies to postive posts indicate there are very few other happy customers or is it instead that this site is used mostly by people who are having problems? If the later, maybe they should rename the forum to be more explicit. It's disheartening when you take the time to post a positive thread an nobody bothers to reply. Sorry if I have offended anybody. That is not my intent. It's just simply to state that this forum has gone from being very neutral and informative to something all together different.
[snapback]738750[/snapback]​
I have been riding for 37 year's. I was a die hard Dooer for the 1st 24 year's. I mean when there was nothing good I stuck with Ski Doo. Then the real bad experiance in 1993. Since then I have ridden Polaris & Cat. Let me tell you that my experiance is that all makes & models have their issues. Polaris was & never has been fast but with after market part's & some people that really know what they're doing they worked up til 02. Since then nobody has figured out what it is they are dooing. Cat was a great choice for a few year's & yes the F-series really run for what they are. On ice that is! Now I know when we have year's with no snow!!!!!! all makes turn into ice mobiles not (snowmobiles). My last sled prior to this year was a 2003 ZR-900. This was by far the best 900 cat made after you gear it & change the helix so it had a overdrive. Then it would really run for a stock sled. I bought it new & rode it for 3 year's I still own it. Then I started looking to upgrade thought the 900 would make a nice sled for the wife. Then the MackZX catches my eye & after asking everybody's opinion I decided to make my own & bought one. Like any sled I ever had I started very slow & listened alot. I have just under 1000 miles on this machine & totally love it!!!! I like to ride smooth trails when they get rough I will turn around if I can. That doesn't always happen as any real snowmobiler knows. I can tell you there has never been a time I wish I was back on the old 900 great sled but the MACH ZX will do anything & more that the ZR 900 would do. I said when I bought it if it went as good as the 900 I would be happy. I figured with electric stat & reverse if it went that good I would be very happy. Let me tell you it kicks the ZR 900's a-s!!!! I mean a different county away. So I guess what I'm saying is there might be lemons there could be dealer set up problems but if we all look at what we bought it is a very impressive machine. There will always be those that will kick if they're in swimming. The most impressive man I have seen is (Early). He is a true man, he has been through hell to put it mild. He has a real problem & isn't crying about it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
2402 mi on my 06 X and love the hell out of it, going back up to Canada tomorrow should have 3000+ mi by saturday and my bus gade 3000+ then too so far all is well except the power valve motor on the gade went.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So, I am glad to hear that alot of you are just a smilin ear to ear but doo you like how it handles. I posted in a thread a week or so ago that my 06 MZX handles just as good as the REV. Murdock had a good reply but seems I got bashed by the majority on the subject

Now I'm asking, doo you guy's like how your Machs handle?
Bro's

·
Registered
109 Posts
Definetly is one of the best sleds I have ever owned. I love the way it handles on the trails. Just have to watch out in the really rough stuff but that could be my setup still working on that. But overall one hell of a sled.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
now that I have mine dialed in its a blast in the twisties
I added a 3rd runner to the precisions and it helped alot. it could use better shocks(other sled is an X) but its not too bad.

·
Registered
168 Posts
2005 MACH Z 4800M BURNT DOWN PTO SIDE , 2006 PROGRAMING

PU FRI NIGHT AT DEALER ***** AFTER 3 WEEKS ,2005 PROGRAMING

NEW ENGINE , INJECTORS , STATOR

4 KM HOT EXHAUST BOX IGNITED RIGHT SIDE BURNT TO THE GROUND !!

FIRE DEPT SAVED REAR BUMPER !!

GREAT SLED !!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts