Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this Saturday, the forecast for the morning is -37, with a windchill of -51.
Will the 1200 start unassisted? We will see.
I probably won't ride though, I'm pretty much positive the 800E in our group won't start, and my buddies Phazer is dead to the world below -25.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
A group of us were in Northern Ontario ( Hearst ) a while back & it went down to -38 C All the Ski-doo's started, but we had to boost an Apex. We still needed to wait until it warmed up a bit to ride .It's amazing how slow they turned over, but still started.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool! I was fairly confident. I've noticed that with this crazy cold winter we've been having, both 1200's in are group always start, no question. Pretty much everything else is touch and go below -28. Boosted my buddies Apex a few times last year......

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Hemi,

Where are you located?

·
Registered
349 Posts
So this Saturday, the forecast for the morning is -37, with a windchill of -51.
Will the 1200 start unassisted? We will see.
I probably won't ride though, I'm pretty much positive the 800E in our group won't start, and my buddies Phazer is dead to the world below -25.
I'm betting the 800 will start up easier (less time on the e button) than the 1200.

Let us know how things go!

·
Registered
56 Posts
this morning,-36c,all 1200 start and run,all etech 800 needed 3-5 pull start by the clutch whit the rope and the starter button.rouyn-noranda,quebec canada.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hemi,

Where are you located?
Stony Mountain, MB.

So the 2 1200's started first try, after trailering them for 2 hours at -37 into a headwind. It took us 45 minutes to get the 800Etec going. No recoil on the 800E, so it finally went after we boosted it, and wrapped the clutch with a rope and pulled at the same time. Something not right there.....

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Awesome stuff. My buddy with his 2010 800 e has just installed a starting rope for backup to the e-start. $180 CDN for something that should have come standard regardless of whether it has electric start or not. I have had three Polaris 2 strokers with e-start and they always had the manual as standard equipment as well.

Did you guys go for a rip as well or just start them up and shut them off after they warmed up?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Stony Mountain, MB.
So the 2 1200's started first try, after trailering them for 2 hours at -37 into a headwind. It took us 45 minutes to get the 800Etec going. No recoil on the 800E, so it finally went after we boosted it, and wrapped the clutch with a rope and pulled at the same time. Something not right there.....
Where did you end up going? We went to spruce woods last Sunday what nice trails

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
My sled sat outside overnight and it was -35 C when I went out to start it. Fired right up with no problems whatsoever. Dads cat lit right up also. Only ever seen issues with the yamis in extreme cold temps.....love this 1200 :)

·
Super Moderator
29,359 Posts
Better question, why? If its that cold I'M not starting!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome stuff. My buddy with his 2010 800 e has just installed a starting rope for backup to the e-start. $180 CDN for something that should have come standard regardless of whether it has electric start or not. I have had three Polaris 2 strokers with e-start and they always had the manual as standard equipment as well.

Did you guys go for a rip as well or just start them up and shut them off after they warmed up?
We trailered them 180km's, and after our 45 minute fight with the Etec, we went riding. One of our riding buddies crashed on the first corner. He's not a rookie, but I think we were all a bit slow moving and stiff. He left the trail on an off camber / blind / downhill right hander, bailed off the sled just in time, sled slammed a tree. Major damage, might not be salvageable. Kinda sad, he had no collision coverage. It was my old 1200 I sold to him.

Where did you end up going? We went to spruce woods last Sunday what nice trails
You should go on a saturday, before they get chewed up! But ya, best riding area in Manitoba, bar none.

My sled sat outside overnight and it was -35 C when I went out to start it. Fired right up with no problems whatsoever. Dads cat lit right up also. Only ever seen issues with the yamis in extreme cold temps.....love this 1200 :)
Yep. My buddies Apex with a block heater (lol), still has issues at these temps.

Better question, why? If its that cold I'M not starting!
Meh, after -25, it's all the same thing. The only ****ty part is BRP's brilliant decision to not run handwarmers at idle. Except the Adrenaline, (which got crashed), we all had -37 handle bars to grab. His were toasty, makes all the difference, at those temps, once your hands are cold, it's tough to warm them. I had a great time, but I run FXR claws gloves, and a newer Polaris helmet. No fogging at those temps, and no air leakage. Wow.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Meh, after -25, it's all the same thing. The only "edit for bad language" part is BRP's brilliant decision to not run handwarmers at idle. Except the Adrenaline, (which got crashed), we all had -37 handle bars to grab. His were toasty, makes all the difference, at those temps, once your hands are cold, it's tough to warm them.
I have read this before on dootalk about the adrenaline hand warmers working at idle.

My 2014 adrenaline does not and I asked the dealer about it and he said that is normal.

·
The man without a plan!
961 Posts
Just got back from a 4 day trip in eagle river and the lows were anywhere from -30s up to -20 and she didn't miss a beat!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts