Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts

· Super Moderator
31,714 Posts
I didn't think rubber came from Russia.

I am surprised that BRP or Polaris hasn't bought Camso yet to ensure that they have future supply and avoid gouging.
I heard a rumor BRP has purchased a tire company. The new SxSs are coming with XPS branded tires. I've looked for info and haven't found a word on it.

Tires today, tracks tomorrow?

· Registered
166 Posts
Truth is that most of the hi-tech stuff is manufactured in China. Thing is not the fact that they could not do it, but thing is that if they make the same quality demanded here, the cost will be as high as it would be to manufacture here.

· Registered
5,889 Posts
I would have thought all these supply shortages would have taught us something, to be more self sufficient. I guess the economy couldn’t support the higher costs. It is sad to see major trusted brands having stuff made in China. Seeing it a lot in auto parts.

· Registered
91 Plus, 93 Mach 1 and 97 Mach Z.
2,078 Posts
What did I miss? What happened to them?
I have not tried to purchase one of their tracks, but I would assume they are being treated in exactly the same way as any other Russian company. Which means they are under financial boycott from pretty much the rest of the World and likely not selling too many tracks in any market that counts…

· Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Correct, Composit tracks, made in Russia, are subject to the current Western World's financial boycott of Russia. Of note, they do NOT have a reputation of being a quality track either.

· Registered
13,515 Posts
I think I paid $600 for camoplast ripsaw 2 137" 1.5" track 6 years ago. So now they're a grand? Damn, I might need to get a job to afford this sport now

· Registered
2022 Mach Z
1,227 Posts
I think I paid $600 for camoplast ripsaw 2 137" 1.5" track 6 years ago. So now they're a grand? Damn, I might need to get a job to afford this sport now
That aren’t that much more expensive. I paid about $700 or so with shipping this year. Are they more expensive, yes, just like everything else.

· Registered
91 Plus, 93 Mach 1 and 97 Mach Z.
2,078 Posts
No clue on your side of the pond. But over here, all of the Ripsaw's and all other trail tracks were "adjusted" to $999 shortly ahead of this season. Not sure if there is something behind this other than the importer being nervous about the future...

· Registered
3,315 Posts
It's for the best that nobody own's Camoplast. Tracks are a bit universal, so all the manufacturers have a basic "standard". If one of the recreation companies bought them, then it would be a monopoly for that company and they could hold the others hostage.

In my opinion, Klim is not the same quality since it was purchased by Polaris.

7,793 Posts
An interesting topic and great conversation.

BRP "seeded" many manufacturers of components over the years in the vicinity of their factory in Valcourt, QC. Idlers, skis drive sprockets and other compression-molded UHMW plastic parts made by PPD; parts made by plastic injection right there in the Townships area, rotomolded plastic parts in the same, decal manufacturing right there in Valcourt, CVTech-IBC in Drummondville to make and in some cases innovate their clutch systems. You've heard of Sorel boots.... Sorel is a town in Quebec that specializes in fiber-reinforced rubber products.... limiter straps come out of there. Specialized seat manufacturing occurs in Drummondville as well. I always thought that Camoplast was seeded by an entrepreneurial mind from the Bombardier group of companies, but perhaps I am wrong.

BRP wants to focus on lowering prices and offering the most value in each segment, not owning every supplier they have. The amount of technology and features that are on these sleds now is staggering and the struggle to control MSRP for each model is harder than ever, this was part of the reason they went to the "900ACE for everybody" mentality, it increased the production numbers for basic parts and there was an economy of scale to be had as a result. Imagine comparing the cost of a current TFT display from the higher end sleds with Bluetooth connectivity, to the analog Speedo and Tach on your 96 MXZ583. It's probably 5x the cost...

Yokohama is the only other significant name that I remember making tracks in the past 30yrs. They used to make OEM tracks for Yamaha, but considering how small Yamaha's market share became, Yokohama likely dropped the product line as it wasn't profitable and Yamaha had to go with Camoplast as well.

· Premium Member
932 Posts
An interesting topic and great conversation.

BRP "seeded" many manufacturers of components over the years in the vicinity of their factory in Valcourt, QC. Idlers, skis drive sprockets and other compression-molded UHMW plastic parts made by PPD; parts made by plastic injection right there in the Townships area, rotomolded plastic parts in the same, decal manufacturing right there in Valcourt, CVTech-IBC in Drummondville to make and in some cases innovate their clutch systems. You've heard of Sorel boots.... Sorel is a town in Quebec that specializes in fiber-reinforced rubber products.... limiter straps come out of there. Specialized seat manufacturing occurs in Drummondville as well. I always thought that Camoplast was seeded by an entrepreneurial mind from the Bombardier group of companies, but perhaps I am wrong.

BRP wants to focus on lowering prices and offering the most value in each segment, not owning every supplier they have. The amount of technology and features that are on these sleds now is staggering and the struggle to control MSRP for each model is harder than ever, this was part of the reason they went to the "900ACE for everybody" mentality, it increased the production numbers for basic parts and there was an economy of scale to be had as a result. Imagine comparing the cost of a current TFT display from the higher end sleds with Bluetooth connectivity, to the analog Speedo and Tach on your 96 MXZ583. It's probably 5x the cost...

Yokohama is the only other significant name that I remember making tracks in the past 30yrs. They used to make OEM tracks for Yamaha, but considering how small Yamaha's market share became, Yokohama likely dropped the product line as it wasn't profitable and Yamaha had to go with Camoplast as well.
great post, very insightful

21 - 40 of 43 Posts