Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we all know how business is going for the Russian-made Composit tracks.

And now it seems like Camso (formerly known as Camoplast) has a monopoly and can charge whatever they want for a snowmobile track.

Is there any other snowmobile track manufacturers out there worth mentioning?

·
Registered
91 Plus, 93 Mach 1 and 97 Mach Z.
2,064 Posts
Camso - or more correct, the Swedish importer - certainly introduced a hefty price increase ahead of this season. I checked couple possibilities for some vintage sleds the other week and found out they put every single 121x15x2.52 trail track at a whopping $999…

Is this because of monopoly, inflation, rubber from Russia or them just not being sure about the future…? I don’t know.

·
Registered
'14 Summit SP 600 '21 Expedition Sport 600 EFI
3,814 Posts
Camso - or more correct, the Swedish importer - certainly introduced a hefty price increase ahead of this season. I checked couple possibilities for some vintage sleds the other week and found out they put every single 121x15x2.52 trail track at a whopping $999…

Is this because of monopoly, inflation, rubber from Russia or them just not being sure about the future…? I don’t know.
2.52" lug on a 121" track... Sounds like a typo?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I didn't think rubber came from Russia.

I am surprised that BRP or Polaris hasn't bought Camso yet to ensure that they have future supply and avoid gouging.

Reactions: MX-Z Man

·
IKnowNothing
1,419 Posts

I am surprised that BRP or Polaris hasn't bought Camso yet to ensure that they have future supply and avoid gouging.
Ownership of the company doesnt really effect the lack of employees to keep production on target in this day and age. They're pretty far behind as far as I know.
I dont know off hand, but its likely got some synthetic rubber, which is petroleum based, and we know how that market is going...

They were already bought out by michelin.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Think about it. Not only are we at the mercy of a single track supplier (Camso), the snowmobile manufacturers are also at their mercy too.

If BRP or Polaris bought Camso, they could really screw over the other 2 snowmobile manufacturers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
What surprises me is the fact that they still buy from Camso instead some random manufacturer from China. Deliver the specs and for sure they can manufacture tracks needed. Reason why there is no actual competition atm is probably because on industrial scale snowmobiling and snowmobile tracks are very small business.

There are tracks available, for example: Alibaba

·
Registered
314 Posts
I can only imagine how many Chinese tracks would let go at 80+ MPH on the lake / trail.
if its built to a BRP spec, why would it come apart? as far as manufacturing goes, its all the same, it just depends on the engineering behind it and where the cheap knock off chooses to skimp.

when it comes to tools or parts alot of times the cheap knock offs use a lower grade material, brittle casting, soft bolts that strip easily

·
Registered
91 Plus, 93 Mach 1 and 97 Mach Z.
2,064 Posts
2.52" lug on a 121" track... Sounds like a typo?
As pointed out by somebody else, 2.52" refers to the pitch. I checked loads of models and lug heights around 1-1.25". Our importer put them all at $999 ahead of this season...Ouch...

Maybe not the rubber itself, but some of the petroleum products involved for sure do. The car tyre industry suffers from longer lead times because of this.

If BRP or Polaris bought Camso, they could really screw over the other 2 snowmobile manufacturers.
So what Cat should do is purchase Camso and discontinue all tracks that are not made for a single, center-mounted rail...?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Vertical integration does not always make sense for a firm to adopt. On its face it makes sense, as the company will be able to control quality and quantity of a certain aspect of their product. But that comes with also needing to run a different business, or build up the capability to perform that task. Also, a massive amount of due diligence is often performed when buying a company. If that company happens to be nonprofitable or is in a risky position (as in the country you operate out of is at war), then it likely doesn’t make sense to purchase that firm.

Who makes the tracks for tracked vehicles? I am thinking SxS with track kits, groomers, things of that nature. It may make sense for those companies to branch out into snowmobiles? Unless of course it is also camso making those.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if its built to a BRP spec, why would it come apart? as far as manufacturing goes, its all the same, it just depends on the engineering behind it and where the cheap knock off chooses to skimp.
Because China .....

Ask the Russian military how those Chinese tires worked on their military vehicles.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts