Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time for me to start searching for an enclosed trailer. I want a aluminum frame v nose 3 place, insulated, furnace and in the 8' 6" width. What brand or what dealer is best? I will be down in the lower 48 this summer picking up a truck of some kind and really want to buy a trailer while I am at it. So who has what and how do you like it? What do you pull it with and what mpg do you get? My ultimate setup is a 1 ton diesel with a flatbed. This gives me the best options. I can haul 2 sleds on the back for day trips, I can put my slide in camper on the back for summer camping and fishing. I can also put the slide in camper on and tow the enclosed when I go on winter trips with the wife, kids, dogs and all the " must have wife stuff".
I plan on getting either a silver lake flatbed or a cm steel bed depending on if I get a Dually or a single truck.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
827 Posts
Judging by all the previous trailer threads most people will vote for the brand they have.

Since you asked about mileage I would suggest you consider an 18' inline 7' wide with a 5' nose. It is the right size for 3 sleds. There is a strong trend down here for inline trailers as they offer several advantages such as better fuel mileage, better visibility, better tires, and more stability. The local dealers I spoke with generally only carry inline trailers for anything bigger than 2 sleds.

Transportation costs play a major role in what may be available where you are going to buy. Competition in the trailer business is pretty stiff and local manufacturers can have a significant price advantage. Triton and Aluma are the two brands on settled on when I was looking earlier this year.

What manufacturers are available in the area you are planning on buying?

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
In no way would I recommend a double wide trailer. And I don't care if you've got a semi to pull it with. I had a 16' with a 4 1/2' V nose and pulled it with a one ton diesel. In a head wind it was like pulling a parachute with the brakes on. I now have a 22' plus 5' V nose inline and pull it with a half ton 5.4 Ford with no problems. Tri axle and I love it.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Get an inline... I have a 27 ft thunder inline.... Solid trailer and only cost me 6300 out the door from Becks trailer near Lansing mi. Trailer is box frame aluminum....not c channel like most. Built exactly like a Legend trailer.... I love it

·
cool beans
36,825 Posts
i have a thule sno pro two place but they make the same trailer in four place

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I think it might depend on what part of the country you're going to. When I go out west I see a lot of steel trailers and in the midwest you RARELY see them. The midwest is a hotbed for trailer manufacturers and I know not all of them have distributors in the western states.

There's a lot of trailer companies and I don't want this to turn into a "my trailer's the best" thread but I've had great luck with Triton trailers and love mine. I see their ads in Snowest so they must have a distributor out west somewhere. Dollar for dollar it's hard to beat a Triton, several options, good resale and excellent customer service. My sister and her husband came down from Chugiak a few years ago and picked up a nice 22' Expedition so they could get their floats for their Super Cub home. I don't know if they're still in business but Expedition builds/built a nice trailer, also. Legend also makes a beautiful trailer with a good reputation for their high quality but all of the Legends I've seen have been 7' wide, not the 8'6" you're looking for.

IMO, when you really start looking closely at trailers (which I have), there's a definite difference and only a few that I'd consider other than a Triton. Hardware is an area that a lot of companies cut corners on as well as the wiring harness and how it's routed through the trailer, wall thickness, type of plywood and the design of the extrusion used for the frame. Another thing to keep an eye on is the roof. Some companies use a 2-piece roof which is prone to leaking. The better trailers will have a one-piece roof which is one of those things you don't see but makes a difference in the overall quality of the trailer.

From the looks of the vehicles in AK, corrosion doesn't seem to be an issue so a steel trailer may fit your needs but there might be fewer brands to choose from. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My family has always had lightning and triton trailers. Also an inline 3 place is the way to go. A lot easier to tow and the axles are not under the trailer.

·
cool beans
36,825 Posts
if your going to buy a 3 place you might as well cet a four place almost the same money and alot easyer getting in and out

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be traveling through Montana, Colorado and Texas. I am willing to commute to the Midwest for a trailer. I have never really thought about an inline but realistically there will only be two sleds in the trailer at a time. I just wanted the extra room for gear bags and random stuff. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the inline have a lower deck height relative to the ground? This trip is gonna cost me some coin but it's time to upgrade the truck and current toy arrangement. Gotta keep the wife happy and giving her a warm place to change and relax in. That will guarantee me at least 30 more days of riding a year if she gets to come with the dogs and kindo.

·
Registered
827 Posts
An inline is generally a little bit lower than a deck over. The big difference is the tires. Much larger tires on the inline raise the deck a bit. I would still recommend an 18' inline as it will fit 3 sleds but provide a lot of extra room if you are only hauling two.

In the Midwest we have to deal with a lot of salt and the trailers of choice are aluminum inline.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Travel through Elkhart indiana and you will find great deals straight from the factory. Trailer capital of the United States and RV. R&R is built there , lightning, haul mark, and several others.

·
cool beans
36,825 Posts
a buddy of mine had a inline! he hated it if you want to take out the front sled you have to take out the back one . and he felt cramped in it you can get a full size trailer with xs out side of trailer .we used a haulmark for raceing steel frame for strength.

·
Registered
375 Posts
An inline is generally a little bit lower than a deck over. The big difference is the tires. Much larger tires on the inline raise the deck a bit. I would still recommend an 18' inline as it will fit 3 sleds but provide a lot of extra room if you are only hauling two.

In the Midwest we have to deal with a lot of salt and the trailers of choice are aluminum inline.
X2!

·
cool beans
36,825 Posts
aluminum is nice and light but up here in maine the roads ar verry rough and youd braek an aluminum trailer in half when you hit a frost heave 12" high or a 12" dip.

·
Registered
954 Posts
In no way would I recommend a double wide trailer. And I don't care if you've got a semi to pull it with. I had a 16' with a 4 1/2' V nose and pulled it with a one ton diesel. In a head wind it was like pulling a parachute with the brakes on. I now have a 22' plus 5' V nose inline and pull it with a half ton 5.4 Ford with no problems. Tri axle and I love it.
X2! Just with a Dodge here. Tri-axle is so smooth and pulls so straight even in a heavy cross wind.

·
cool beans
36,825 Posts
no offense taken just letting ya know what lasts up here.

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
I have an aluminum inline 18 foot enclosed with a 5 foot V. It is a three place trailer but I can get four sleds in it with plenty of room for gear. Whatever you get be sure and get stainless hardware. I have an RnR but will be purchasing a Triton next season. I have had no problems at all with the RnR. Just time for a change.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts