Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is what one of these looks like broke down.

Seems a middle bearing was letting go...not the pto side.

When I read "plastic cage vs steel cage" which bearings are we discussing?

Crank1_zps73699256.jpg

Crank2_zpsdb469f5a.jpg

·
Registered
487 Posts
That is definitely a re-built crank with sleel cage bearings, not to mention the journal is welded....poorly I might add! The rusty color on the bearings and in the case are signs of a submersion (water) or poor sumerizing. I am no expert, I am sure the real experts will chime in...soon.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please excuse my ignorance but, what's the journal?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance but, what's the journal?
Its where the connecting rod is connected. When you buy cranks some Companies state they are "trued and welded". Just means they are balanced properly and the connecting rod journals are welded. This allows more reliability, if done right of course.
I do a lot of jetski stuff. All 5 of my jetskis I have tossed the OEM non welded crank for welded ones as I am running high Compression in all of them.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looked at the crank more closely and it appears the center rod is the only one that was welded. Hmmm.

Also, the upper case was drilled for oil. Lots of rust buildup on the pto side however.

Block2_zpsd7a492c4.jpeg

Block1_zps8f7436c1.jpg

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
When the center crank pin was welded, I'll bet some sparks hit the main bearing and time did the rest of the damage. Honestly, there's no need to weld a good interferance fit when Loctite 648 will do the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts