1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
E-Tec Rules
34,045 Posts
wow!

·
Made Member
2,042 Posts
That is an exhaustive study. I think Dr. Fackler would be proud.

Not to mention that shooting stuff is fun.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Sweeeet! I have to admit, I was one of those people saying that bird dust would not do that to someone at 30 yards, but maybe I was wrong... wouldn't be the first time. That 'study' reminds me of when I used to work for wells fargo and one time our boss invited us all to go out and field test a bunch of samples of different kinds of bullet proof glass. 'Bring everything ya got' he said. One guy brought his compound bow and he was getting more penetration than the .22s and about the same as most of the pistols (but it was costing him a shaft and a broadhead each time...) All the rifles went right through most of the samples in one shot.

On a side note, now that lawyer will really be able to talk out of both sides of his mouth.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
wow, thats pretty cool that someone did that. Unless I didnt read that part, but does anyone know what choke they used for the test? you will get drastic results between a full choke and open cylinder. For quail hunting, I bet Cheney had a Skeet 1, Skeet 2(Improved Cylinder), or modified.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I don't own a 28 ga. but using a modified choke seems a little tight for that small of a gage and close in quail hunting. My guess would be improved or even cylinder or skeet. Also, using an O/U I doubt both barrels were choked the same. The first shot (barrel) is usually a more open pattern (birds are closer) than the second barrel.

Great study.

·
found elsewhere
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yellow Fever said:
I don't own a 28 ga. but using a modified choke seems a little tight for that small of a gage and close in quail hunting. My guess would be improved or even cylinder or skeet. Also, using an O/U I doubt both barrels were choked the same. The first shot (barrel) is usually a more open pattern (birds are closer) than the second barrel.

Great study.
[snapback]727146[/snapback]​
Ive always hunted quail with modified 20 gauge. They seem to be flying away from you when you jump them as opposed to side to side. After hunting quail for a while Grouse hunting seems a helluva lot easier.

G

·
guys,i am by no means political......or looking for a debate here. im by no means an avid hunter......but i have been hunting quite a few times ....deer....birds.... even at a novice stage.........i know better than to ever get in front of the party you are with.....hence not catching a bullet....or spray from birdshot. i also know that birds feed on the ground,...so when a dog flushes them out...up and over they fly. how did this guy get in front of the other guns????? was he stupid......drunk.....or just born dumb???? this wasnt anyone first time in the woods hunting correct? even cheney is smart enough to not shoot someone in front of witnesses.....i think? this was an accident of someone not following safety guidelines while hunting. i believe that the chap that was hit was in the wrong place. also the media is blowing this out of proportion..............as always. they are just "edit for bad language" because they didnt print it first. who cares what cheneys gun cost.............he isnt allowed to own a 30k gun? you guy know that all this media crap is all because of politics..........because if someone shot me in the same manner,......we'd be lucky to get a spot on the six oclock news.............and it would only be heard once. my .02

·
The Wrecking Crew
1,110 Posts
Cheney shot him on purpose, it's too inexcusable. It's like when i was a kid and saw on the news a deer hunter in Florida shot another that was in a tree stand "thought it was a deer" he said. Deer in trees? Cheney can't see orange either? Cheney should have said he tripped getting out of the car and the gun discharged accidently. I have been getting in and out of this damm car all morning, we have hunted a greater part of this chicken coop(game farm) and I was exhausted. but I am sorry though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts