Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
41 - 60 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I'll always run a 900 in some flavor. Such a smooth/enjoyable powerplant. It's hands down the easiest sled to ride on a 220-250 mile day which i find myself doing more/more as time becomes a precious commodity.

ITC throttle? i'd hate to have this on a 2stroke, but on this 900ace it's absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
177 Posts
2019 Enduro 900 Ace with almost 9,000kms. I run premium even though its not required as the gas mileage is so good I can justify the extra cost. Its quiet, plenty of power for the trail riding I do and my friends joke it must be electric because its so quiet.

Having a quiet sled along with a good helmet (BRP O2) allows me to listen to music on my headset while riding. My longest single day ride was 579kms from Cochrane to Hearst and back in 2020. I generally don't go out unless I can be for the entire day, anything less is a waste of my time, so comfort and quiet are paramount.

The ITC throttle is a non issue for me, it works and I'm happy with the response. Perhaps if I was riding off trail or in the mountains I would need faster, better response, but for what my sled was designed for its perfect.

I intend to keep this sled for a few more years so this summer I'm investing in Elka suspension, (keeping the air ride), Mainway bushings and Dupont sliders

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great post above WildSioux, you really captured the intrigue of the 900 NA, all of those benefits stack up and make a person want to get out and ride. The only real shortcoming is a bit of top end as you indicate and that doesn't affect the vast majority of us on the vast majority of trips.

Those family trips with kids, parents, and friends, are great times and typically not high mile days. We've had lots of days like that and if you're the one with the sleds, it feels like a person spends half the day just getting everything ready to go and getting people going, then putting stuff away after the trip. 30 actual miles of sledding is sometimes a full day! And the people you've taken along will remember those trips their whole lives. There's 200 mile days and 30 mile days, and every trip is a highlight of somebody's winter.

·
Super Moderator
29,369 Posts
You're just too cool.

11000kms on mine. Never used premium. 95% of the time it's fast enough.
Why the snide comment? :shrug

I'm thrilled you like yours, with the turbo I like mine too - no need to get pissy about it. For me it has the right amount of power, I wouldn't want any less. I'm glad the NA has enough power for you, apparently we have different riding styles and ride in different locations.

Gotta admit, it's posts like yours that drag this place down...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Two years ago, traded my 2008 Yamaha fx Nytro in on a 2017 900 ace Renegade. Did Bar549,s clutch mod advice and his exhaust mod. It’s no louder and with the clutch mod, it has arm pulling torque. That Yamaha triple had 130 horse power was an awesome motor, but don’t let the “little” 900 ace fool you. Absolutely great trail sled! Got use to the itc throttle pretty quickly and now love it! So nice to move the flipper where you want it. 900 ace is an Outstanding smooth, quiet motor, and with the great rear suspension! Haven’t missed that Nytro at all!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I would consider one if they put it in a 129. I'd have to give it the clutching and muffler mods though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The verdict is in on this post - the vast majority of people who have actually spent time on a 900 NA share the perspective that the ACE 900 NA has all the power that can be safely used in almost all trail scenarios. In stock form, it can easily push the limit of safe acceleration and speed. And if you need a bit more jump, it can be breathed on through clutching and other relatively minor mods to take it to the next level.

Before we snow checked this spring (our first snow check), I pushed our 900 NA Enduro as hard as I could to see if I wanted more power. "Surely I could over-drive it", I thought. Well, I couldn't. Ever. Corner to corner the acceleration was as strong as I could safely or comfortably handle. On long clear straight-aways, yes it runs out of breath at the big end. But at 80mph or whatever it was actually doing, this particular rider feels he's going plenty fast and any more top end would never, ever, get used.

Similar to other posters above, I cannot imagine someone could outrun me on a trail solely because they had a more powerful motor. Anybody pushing past the limits of the 900 NA on trails like ours would be risking their safety and the safety of others. It always has more than I can use, the 900 NA obliterates our local speed limits without even stretching its legs.

All that said, I have absolutely no gripe or negative perspectives about higher power sleds. I just don't understand the situations where the 900NA can't deliver, with the exception of course north of 80mph. For those of you who have driven both, in what specific trail situations have you found the 900NA lacking in power? Responding with something like "not enough power" is not going to answer my question, I am hoping to hear from people who have had the flipper of a 900NA on the bar, in multiple trail situations, and said, "no actually I need more", and in what specific situations that occurred.

·
Super Moderator
29,369 Posts
You're asking for something that can't be explained - its an opinion vs fact.

Much like the gas vs diesel debate in the truck, tractor or motorhome world. Yes, a gas will do the job but I sure enjoy it more with a diesel.

That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with a different choice, it just means we each have different wants and needs.

If you're happy with your 900NA great - that doesn't mean everyone else has to want the same thing. Let them enjoy their choice too.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
You're asking for something that can't be explained - its an opinion vs fact.

Much like the gas vs diesel debate in the truck, tractor or motorhome world. Yes, a gas will do the job but I sure enjoy it more with a diesel.

That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with a different choice, it just means we each have different wants and needs.

If you're happy with your 900NA great - that doesn't mean everyone else has to want the same thing. Let them enjoy their choice too.
To this point..................freedom of choice, that's why Howard Johnsons had 28 flavors of ice cream

Complete list...............https://list.fandom.com/wiki/Howard_Johnsons_28_Original_Ice_Cream_Flavors

What was your favorite?

·
Registered
77 Posts
^^ I really appreciate your posts MXZ-Man and Trekker, I think you've nailed the issue that evolved through this post. The gas/diesel example puts things in perspective. Staying with that analogy, my truck is a gas V8. It has more power than I'll ever need for towing. I tow often but not heavy loads, 3-sleds or an ice hut on an open trailer for example or short distances with a 3,000 lb boat/trailer.

When I look critically at specifications, Ford's 2.7 turbo V6 would have met my needs 100% of the time. But I wanted a V8, so that's what I'm driving. If anybody asked me why I got the V8, I could honestly say, "I wanted one", or talk about other virtues such as I like the sound better, may be easier to sell someday when miles are high, etc.. But I could never honestly say, "Because I needed more power".

Some people, however, could. People who haul large 5th-wheel campers can blow past the need for even the V8 and legitimately say, "I need the F350 6.7L Diesel for what I do". That's what I was trying to understand with my last question, what are the real-life circumstances where a person could actually use more power in a trail situation than a 900NA has?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're not arguing that the vast majority of trail riders wouldn't be fully satisfied with the actual power of the 900 NA. You're saying, "If you want a Turbo, get the dang Turbo!" I subscribe to that logic, 100%.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
The verdict is in on this post - the vast majority of people who have actually spent time on a 900 NA share the perspective that the ACE 900 NA has all the power that can be safely used in almost all trail scenarios. In stock form, it can easily push the limit of safe acceleration and speed. And if you need a bit more jump, it can be breathed on through clutching and other relatively minor mods to take it to the next level.

Before we snow checked this spring (our first snow check), I pushed our 900 NA Enduro as hard as I could to see if I wanted more power. "Surely I could over-drive it", I thought. Well, I couldn't. Ever. Corner to corner the acceleration was as strong as I could safely or comfortably handle. On long clear straight-aways, yes it runs out of breath at the big end. But at 80mph or whatever it was actually doing, this particular rider feels he's going plenty fast and any more top end would never, ever, get used.

Similar to other posters above, I cannot imagine someone could outrun me on a trail solely because they had a more powerful motor. Anybody pushing past the limits of the 900 NA on trails like ours would be risking their safety and the safety of others. It always has more than I can use, the 900 NA obliterates our local speed limits without even stretching its legs.

All that said, I have absolutely no gripe or negative perspectives about higher power sleds. I just don't understand the situations where the 900NA can't deliver, with the exception of course north of 80mph. For those of you who have driven both, in what specific trail situations have you found the 900NA lacking in power? Responding with something like "not enough power" is not going to answer my question, I am hoping to hear from people who have had the flipper of a 900NA on the bar, in multiple trail situations, and said, "no actually I need more", and in what specific situations that occurred.
I've owned an na for years and agree 100% with your opinion also have 3 other (faster) sleds if I had to pick one to be the favourite for my family it would definitely be the 900 na 120, but to answer your question about where it lacks would likely be on wide open lake trails or open straight ditch trails where the speeds are higher

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I guarantee you if you tried an 850 you would be going over 80mph within 5 minutes. And where you were going 60mph on your 900, you would be going 80 on the 850. It's too easy not to.

I think part of the reason you say "80 is fast enough for me" is because it takes the 900 so long to get to 80mph. By the time you get to 80 you're out of trail. Not so on a higher horsepower machine. Last ride of this past season, I was reaching 100mph on a 1200 on the same trail I could only go 80 on a 900. Maybe 100 isn't safe. But 80 really isn't that safe either.

The vast majority of trail riders would only be satisfied with the power of a 900 if they never rode anything faster. Some say "well I'm only losing 10mph top end to a 600R". That may be true but a 600R probably accelerates from 60-80mph the same way a 900 accelerates from 40-60mph. And then after 60 the 900 is just punchless. So when you are trying to ride at a fast pace a 600 two stroke (or almost any other engine) is just more satisfying. That's specifically when the 900 doesn't do it for me.

41 - 60 of 398 Posts